1st Trimester

Roller Coasters

I'm taking my class to Universal's Islands of Adventures this year for a class trip... I'll be exactly 10 weeks when we go. I'm a HUGE roller coaster fan but I don't want to take any risk of hurting my baby....

Are roller coasters off limits for me?

Re: Roller Coasters

• sgrlsgrl member

Um, no. Don't ride roller coasters.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Um yeah....hence the warning on the rides that pregnant women shouldn't get on them.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know if they are off limits but I would assume they aren't recommended.  I know I won't be going on any.
  • I don't know how far along you are now, and maybe you will be very lucky, but the idea of going on a roller coaster at 10 weeks would have been my worst nightmare. Total puke-fest.

Most rides say whether they are safe for pregnant women.  I would guess the really fast ones are a no-no.

• is this a serious question?

i can't tell these days.

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • They are 100% off limits!
  • Another GREAT post today!! lmao-

Roller Coasters are a big NO- ask your Doc- He might look at you like you're friggin nuts though

• lol.

1st tri, you are slaying me today.

• The big picture of the woman with the big belly with the bar across it is *usually* a pretty good hint that a ride is off limits to pregnant women.

Translation: no, don't ride roller coasters.

• hmmm going downhill at 76+mph and loops....um no not a good idea.

I also love rollercoasters but we are not going to any parks this year...in fact i think that we are skipping the water parks as well because I know a lot of rides have the sign on there that said do not ride if pregnant.

• The reason why roller coaster are off limits is the chance of placenta abruption.  With all the sudden movements of the rides, the placenta (your baby's life support system) can become separated from your body. 

While you may love roller coasters, is the day of fun worth the risk of losing your baby?

CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • ::::giggle::::giggle::::snort:::::
  • imageKimL22:

Baaaahahaha. You have some awesome photos today. LMAO!!

• wow you don't have to be so rude about it.

I can't believe how many sarcastic responses there were... I figured maybe it only applied to further along because the bar could squish the baby or other reasons... and since I'd only be 10 weeks and not even close to showing that it might possibly be ok, I just wanted a few opinions but I didnt need to be talked to like an idiot.

and of course it's not worth risking hurting my baby which is what I mentioned in the original post... what kind of freak would risk a baby just to ride a roller coaster... which is why i posted to get OPINIONS about what point in pregnancy the no roller coaster ride applies to.

thanks for treating me with complete and utter rudeness.

• imageBecky262:

The reason why roller coaster are off limits is the chance of placenta abruption.  With all the sudden movements of the rides, the placenta (your baby's life support system) can become separated from your body. 

While you may love roller coasters, is the day of fun worth the risk of losing your baby?

not to mention the hemorrhaging that this would cause. The internal bleeding could kill the mother or require a hysterectomy to stop the internal bleeding.

• If you don't want to be spoken to like an idiot, don't ask idiotic questions.
    2 girls and a dog
  • imageKimL22:

HAHA That is all I have to say to this post.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ::shakes head::

Please, lord, let 1st tri be one big joke today. Please.

• imageheather_09_15_07:
    If you don't want to be spoken to like an idiot, don't ask idiotic questions.

This.

What responses did you honestly think you were going to get? Pregnant is pregnant, whether it's 5 weeks or 5 months. When something's off-limits during pregnancy, it usually refers to the *whole* time.

A quick google search would've saved you the responses full of "utter rudeness."

• imageheather_09_15_07:
    If you don't want to be spoken to like an idiot, don't ask idiotic questions.

lol?

• seriously im mean seriously there is a big sign that clearly says no pregnant women

Pregnancy Ticker

• Kind of unsure as to why you would want OPINIONS on something that is taboo ... just don't do it. It says all over the roller coaster not to. And if you took two seconds to google you would have seen that it is taboo.

But really, in your case, my OPINION would be to go for it. Really.

• imageMaddiesMomma:

wow you don't have to be so rude about it.

I can't believe how many sarcastic responses there were... I figured maybe it only applied to further along because the bar could squish the baby or other reasons... and since I'd only be 10 weeks and not even close to showing that it might possibly be ok, I just wanted a few opinions but I didnt need to be talked to like an idiot.

and of course it's not worth risking hurting my baby which is what I mentioned in the original post... what kind of freak would risk a baby just to ride a roller coaster... which is why i posted to get OPINIONS about what point in pregnancy the no roller coaster ride applies to.

Use some common sense! What you got were opinions.
  • sgrlsgrl member

Wow, I really thought you were kidding. I went to Orlando with my entire family last month, and when I told them I was pregnant, they ALL said, "Oh, you won't be able to ride any rides." Including my 14-year-old niece.

Now, at Universal Studies, they do have some rides that can accomodate pregnant women through stationary seats.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm going to Disney World in 11 days and I'm NOT going on ANY ride that has a warning for pregnant women?and that's all roller coasters.

Use your common sense... if the warning on the ride says: 

Expectant mothers should not ride

Then you should not go on the ride?no matter if you're 10 weeks along or 26 weeks (like I'll be).

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • For the OP, it's not just the roller coasters.  Any ride that jerks you around or bounces you are prohibited.  I know, I live in Orlando and go to the theme parks a LOT.  The expectant mom restriction involves most of the rides at Universal.  Always check the restrictions that are posted at the entrance to a ride.  I was at the regular Universal Studios, and could go on maybe 3 rides, but only because they have seats that don't bounce around.
  • imageMaddiesMomma:

you would think some people would have basic COMMON

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • I agree, roller coasters are a terrible idea when you are pregnant.  After a recent trip to six flags I decided the parks are doing a bit of CYA regarding the pregnancy thing.  Not one ride in the park was safe for pregnant women, including the very slow train that goes around the park.  I imagine that in a worst case scenario the train could derail.  I took the chance.  I also took the chance on the Wiggles ride that goes about 2 miles an hour in a controlled car on a track that is safe for very small children.  Flame if you will, my two year old thought is was fantastic.
  • yeah they can be a little rough on these boards. I'm 16 wks and I was told to go back to 1st trimester boards earlier today for asking what they thought was a dumb question. hang in there - some of us are not meanies. I would have assumed roller coasters would be bad idea but sometimes its not clear. My sister in law rode water slide rides at 4 months and I thought that was a little questionable but it was her call.
  • imageMaddiesMomma:

Unfortunately, that seems to be common practice for SOME people on here.  Sorry for your frustration =(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"