Baby Names

Ariella

What do you think of Ariella? I love it pronounced AR-EE-ELLA not AIR-E-ELLA but I worry about teasing with people saying it the second way and associating it with the word Areola. I also think it'd be annoying to correct people over and over on the pronunciation.

Re: Ariella

• Sorry! The first thought I had was "Areola".

• That was not the first thought I had. My first thought was closer to the Little Mermaid.

Kids will find something to make fun of her for if they want. Kids are cruel.

You might have to let the pronunciation slide because people are also lazy, but I think it's pretty.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • And I pronounced it wrong in my head.   The Little Mermaid's pronounciation of Ariel (and thus derivitives like Ariella) are pretty engrained.

• sorry- my first thought too, please do not do it
  • I agree, it is annoying when you have to correct people all the time. I nixed Caroline because I asked my MIL what she thought and she said "Carolyn is  a lovely name". I wanted to go through the roof. She is not trying to be annoying either, she is very nice, or I would not have asked her. But I don't want to be correcting people all the time, "No it's Caro-LINE". Ugh. If the alternate pronunciation si going to bug you, I say picks something else. My niece is named Arianna and I think that's beautiful. No one seems to mess that up since her nn is Ari.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I grew up with a girl named Arielle (pronounced Are-e-elle). I thought it was a beautiful name and we considered it as a mn for DD (not for Emery but for another name we were thinking of using).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think the name Ariella is beautiful. I've known lots of Ariella's (pronounced "ah-r" not "air") and have never known them to have their names mispronounced. I think Arielle is pretty, too, and I think spelling it with the double ll and e at the end helps with pronunciation.

It is annoying that they had to mispronounce the name in the little mermaid.

• imagemfransdell:

Sorry! The first thought I had was "Areola".

Me too.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It's a little too close to areola, and I think it'd be a common mistake.
  • imageadam+katie:
    imagemfransdell:

?

Me too.

Me three!?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• LMS05LMS05 member
    I would pronounce it like Air-e-ella. I don't care for the name
  • imageAligator28:
    imageadam+katie:
    imagemfransdell:

Me too.

Me three! 

Me four!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"