Baby Names

What do you think of Hugh?

I love the name Hugh. Dh doesn't.

What do you think? Is it a stuffy old man name? What are your associations with this name?

It's the one I really love and I'm having a hard time letting go of it, so please tell me what you think...

2012 Races: Mar 24: Great Human Race 5K. April 28: 5K for Fitness

Re: What do you think of Hugh?

• NMS-sorry
  • I like it!  I am a big fan of British sounding names.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think automatically of Hugh Grant... which isn't the worst thing in the world.

Mean kids will rhyme it with "peeww".

• I prefer Hugo, which is similar.  I imagine people asking Hugh his name and him having to repeat himself, because people it kind of sounds like a whisper when it comes out.
  • I don't like it. It makes me think of Hugh Hefner and Hugh Grant and I don't like either of them.
  • It's not really my style.  I tend to think of it as more of a foreign name (British or Australian = Grant & Jackman). I don't think it's very common here either (other than Hefner who does have that old man vibe to him lolol). I certainly like it better than Hugo though.    
  • yaleyale member

eh, nms.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Too old manish for me. 

• I don't think it's a bad name.?

I think of Hugh Laurie, first (I am a "House" fan), then Hugh Grant, and Hugh Hefner didn't cross my mind until I read the other posts.?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I think of Hugh Hefner. But it's not a bad name! However, if he doesn't like it, I'd probably let it go... eventually Smile
  • I like it a lot.  My first associations were Hugh Laurie and Hugh Grant, both of whom are hot, imo. 

I went to school with a guy named Hugh.  The only "teasing"/nicknaming from other kids he got based on his name was that once we were in high school and he played football, people called him "Huge" (because, well, he was.  He was an awesome noseguard/center -- "Huge" was a compliment in his case).  I think rhyming it with "peeww" is a stretch, even for sometimes-cruel little kids.
  • I have an Uncle Hugh and everyone has always called him "Herbie". He looks like Bert Lahr. (actor who played the lion in the wizard of oz)
  • Too old mannish and yes, Hefner.  It does also rhyme with pew.  
  • Hugh was one of the names that I really liked, too.  Do you have a reason for liking it?  I like that it means "mind, heart and spirit," like you'd be giving your kid a name that means "Give it your all, kiddo!"  Plus, it's a tradition in my family to use the first letter of an ancestor you'd like to honor, and my mom's dad (may he rest peacefully) had a name beginning with H.

I think if you talk with your husband about WHY you like the name so much he might come around.  I got mine to concede a girl's name because it carried so much weight for me.  So, if we have a girl (we're keeping it a surprise!  For six more weeks!  AAAH!) we'll be using it!

• I like it!
  • I'm going to side with your DH
  • LMS05LMS05 member
    I love older names, but not Hugh.?
  • I thought of Hugh Grant, which isn't bad in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"