Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

XP: DS Is Sleeping Through The Night - Eating More During The Day

...but my supply isn't increasing :(  I feel really sad.  I have been having to give DS bottles of formula after feedings b/c he just is not completely satisfied :( He is 4 months.  He will take a good 2 oz. after every feeding.  he empties both sides and doesn't ever stay on the breast long enough to force me to produce more.  ANyone else have this issue?? I know it is a vicious cycle and that if I keep supplementing, I won't produce more.  But it doesn't seem like I am increasing my production at all, regardless.  Anyone else have this issue?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: DS Is Sleeping Through The Night - Eating More During The Day

• Options
    Have you tried pumping? That would help increase your supply. You could do power pumping sessions after your LO goes to bed. Also, does he spit up after he takes the formula? I'm just curious if he's full on the milk but his brain hasn't really registered yet so he eats more when he doesn't necessarily need it.
    2007 BFP#1 MMC 12w; 2008 BFP#2 DS1; 2010 BFP#3 DS2; 2011 TTC; 2013 Pursuing DIA
  • Options
    I do pump, but am not getting much :(  4 oz. at MOST from both sides combined 3 hours after he goes to sleep.  He only has 5-6 feedings now. He doesn't spit the formula up.  he is fussy until he gets more food usually, then is much more content.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh, that sounds frustrating. Maybe you could add another pumping session in the morning or try pumping after each feeding (after you give the formula and all)?
  • Options
    Oh, and the additional pumping sessions may do nothing at first but they would hopefully tell your body to produce more milk.
  • Options

imageValerie120408:
    Oh, and the additional pumping sessions may do nothing at first but they would hopefully tell your body to produce more milk.

Ditto this. I've had good luck taking Fenugreek to increase my supply when I returned to work. I smelled like maple syrup but it helped!

• Options
    Are you pumping overnight while DC is sleeping? Sometimes going for long stretches like overnight when your DC is STTN will hurt your supply. Try pumping between 1-5 am, when your prolactin levels are highest.
  • Options
    I had the same exact problem...and pumping didn't help increase the supply at all. Plus, the switching back and forth between breast and bottle was causing some SERIOUS gas fussiness. We had to switch entirely to formula a few weeks ago. I was a little disappointed at first, but he is ultimately happier and no longer miserable all day long. I commend you for holding on for 4 months! :)
  • Options

I went through milk supply issues last month and vigorously worked with a lactation consultant. I started using goat's rue pills and more milk plus by mother's love and my milk quadrupled within days. I was skeptical about it, but I am still just amazed at the results. You can buy them at www.motherslove.com or places like medicap, but it is not sold usually at any pharmacy. Good luck to you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"