3rd Trimester

Ceiling fans unsafe for baby?

My DH and I always sleep with our ceiling fan on high every night--no matter what season it is-- because it seems to circulate the air in our bedroom better. Sometimes we can get that clostrophobic feeling. Anyway, I was thinking that we should probably try to either stop using it, or turn it on super low when we bring our baby home in July. We'll obviously have the A/C on, but I don't want to make the baby freeze to death!

Anyone else facing this issue?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ceiling fans unsafe for baby?

• I was under the impression that ceiling fans or any type of fan were something you definitely need to have in order to reduce the risk of SIDS.
  • I read that using a fan can reduce the risk of SIDS, we definitely plan on using the ceiling fan in the baby's room. We don't have A/C.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
    Birthday
  • Loading the player...
  • i thought ceiling fans were good for babies. i have read that you should keep air circulating and ceiling fans are safer than standing ones. ??
  • I wouldn't turn it on high with the baby sleeping in the room, but having a fan on low is not a problem.  They say a cooler room is better than a warmer room for a newborn. 
  • You might find this article interesting.

• No, ceiling fans are good for a baby because they circulate the air around the baby and decrease SIDS. Just swaddle your baby or use a sleep-sack if you're worried about the temp. Or just turn up the AC so it's not blowing as much cool air.
  • imageMrs_mam:
    I read that using a fan can reduce the risk of SIDS.

Ditto.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think I read that babies should have fans in their rooms to decrease the chance of sids. Just be sure the baby is snuggled good and warm and you'll be fine.
  • I don't think there is any hard evidence one way or the other about ceiling fans, but I do know that around 5-6 months they become fascinated with them. I could lay my little ones on the floor with a ceiling fan going and get a good 15 minutes out of them!!
  • My DH put in a ceiling fan specifically for baby...b/c it does help prevent SIDS....I wouldn't worry about the baby being too cold...just keep the A/C at a comfortable temp.  We keep ours at 71 degrees and always have our ceiling fan on low...everynight, no matter the season...just like you guys do.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagenwilliams8:
    I was under the impression that ceiling fans or any type of fan were something you definitely need to have in order to reduce the risk of SIDS.

Ditto - A ceiling fan can reduce SIDS by 72%.  Here is the article:

https://health.usnews.com/articles/health/healthday/2008/10/06/bedroom-fan-cuts-sids-risk-by-72.html

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"