2nd Trimester

Maybe a stupid question, but I'm just curious.

When should we stop sleeping on our backs.  One of my books said that once you are 12 weeks, but I wake up on my back every morning.  I would think it wouldn't matter until I actually feel uncomfortable doing it, but maybe I'm wrong. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Maybe a stupid question, but I'm just curious.

• I sleep whichever way is comfortable...usually on my left side or back.
  • I sleep on my back 90% of the time. I love it. I will not stiop until my body tells me to. So, an answer to your Q - you stop when it feels uncomfortable. There is no magic number.
  • Loading the player...
  • i've been sleeping however i'm comfortable...back, stomach (eek, is that bad?) or side.
  • doc told me at 16 weeks.
    TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
    IUI #1 - #4 (repronex trigger) = BFN
    IUI#5 on 10/28/2008 ** BFP 11/10/08 ** EDD 07/21/09 *** It's a GIRL (07/14/09) AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    med/treatment free BFP 06/28/10. EDD 03/05/11 *** GIRL #2 (02/23/11)
    beta#1 @ 17dpo = 1296 .... beta#2 @ 19dpo = 3034
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    it's the Bug and Baby Belle!
  • my doc said to sleep however i am comfortable sleeping. if my back is absolutely off limits for BP issues or something, she will let me know.
  • I still sleep on my back - however, only if propped up on a stack of pillows so I'm at an angle and not flat.
    TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
    IUI#5 on 10/28/2008 ** BFP 11/10/08 ** EDD 07/21/09 *** It's a GIRL (07/14/09) AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I dont know if it's just me, but when I wake up on my back its usually because I cannot breathe.
  • I can't sleep flat on my stomach anymore, but every other position is fine. My doctor said to do what's comfortable. Sleeping FLAT on my stomach or FLAT on my back isn't comfortable, but if I turn just slightly I'm good.
  • I would think once you're big and it would be painful you should stop sleeping on your back..

?

?But then again I might be wrong- I've been really dumb recently :/

• I sleep on my side until early morning when my hips hurt and then I roll to my back.
    My Blog: Say Lucky Pregnancy Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I sometimes wake up on my stomach like a previous poster
  • I figured I will get uncomfortable and wake up if I am on my back.  I try to sleep with a body pillow now.  However... at my last OB visit, baby's HR was low with me laying on my back (113) and went up to normal (130s) when they had me turn to the side.  So now I make more of an effort so neither of us get smooshed.

Me – 33 (no diagnosis), DH – 41 (MFI)

IVF #1/ICSI 2008 – 22 ER, 21 F, Day 3 transfer (8A and 8B) - BFP, 3 Frosties

Surprise BFP 2010

Surprise BFP 2011

Shipped frosties from TX to VA in 2012

FET #1 May 2013, single blast – BFN

FET #2 August 2013 2 blasts – BFN

IVF #2/ICSI/AH Jan 2014 – 8 ER, 7M, 6 F Day 3 transfer (grade 2 & 3), no frosties - BFP!

• "During the second half of pregnancy, avoid sleeping on your back, a position that puts the full weight of your uterus on your spine, back muscles, intestines, and the inferior vena cava (the vein that transports blood from your lower body to the heart). Back-sleeping can also put you at risk for backaches and hemorrhoids, inefficient digestion, and impaired breathing and circulation. Lying on your back in the second and third trimester can also cause changes in blood pressure. For some women, it can cause a drop in blood pressure that can make them feel dizzy; for others, it can cause an unwanted increase in blood pressure."

from:  https://www.babycenter.com/404_whats-the-best-sleep-position-during-pregnancy_7608.bc

TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
  • imagestaycee:

"During the second half of pregnancy, avoid sleeping on your back, a position that puts the full weight of your uterus on your spine, back muscles, intestines, and the inferior vena cava (the vein that transports blood from your lower body to the heart). Back-sleeping can also put you at risk for backaches and hemorrhoids, inefficient digestion, and impaired breathing and circulation. Lying on your back in the second and third trimester can also cause changes in blood pressure. For some women, it can cause a drop in blood pressure that can make them feel dizzy; for others, it can cause an unwanted increase in blood pressure."

from:  https://www.babycenter.com/404_whats-the-best-sleep-position-during-pregnancy_7608.bc

Thanks Staycee.  I've seen so many different articles saying yes, no, maybe.  I am going to try to get used to sleeping on my side, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageAMYfromKY:
    imagestaycee:

Thanks Staycee.  I've seen so many different articles saying yes, no, maybe.  I am going to try to get used to sleeping on my side, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it.   

Once your tummy gets bigger, you will not want to sleep on your back. I promise. It will be miserably uncomfortable.

• I am still sleeping in whatever position is comfortable for me at the time.  My body usually tells me when it is time to change positions anyway. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was told to try to sleep on your left side for better circulation and to try not to sleep on your back because of sciatic nerve pain but that if you turn on your back in your sleep its totally fine and theres not alot you can do about it anyways. So just sleep however is comfortable for you, and try sleeping with a pillow between your legs or using a body pillow. GL!
  • I sleep on my left side.... and can only do this with the help of a body pillow. If I roll over on my back in my sleep I usually am woken up because my hands "fall asleep"

I figure it's my bodys way of telling me to turn back on my side. Your body will wake you as well if it's dangerous to the baby.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagestaycee:

"During the second half of pregnancy, avoid sleeping on your back, a position that puts the full weight of your uterus on your spine, back muscles, intestines, and the inferior vena cava (the vein that transports blood from your lower body to the heart). Back-sleeping can also put you at risk for backaches and hemorrhoids, inefficient digestion, and impaired breathing and circulation. Lying on your back in the second and third trimester can also cause changes in blood pressure. For some women, it can cause a drop in blood pressure that can make them feel dizzy; for others, it can cause an unwanted increase in blood pressure."

You'll be able to feel all of this when it happens. There's no magic time when it happens for everyone. You WILL become uncomfortable and stop when you need to. For me, this (the dizziness, discomfort, trouble breathing, pain, etc) didn't happen until I was 31 weeks with DS.

The further you get in pregnancy, the more likely you will be to just sleep however you are comfortable. Because sometimes there IS no comfortable position. If you find one, back or not, you'll use it.

• I sleep whatever way I feel comfortable.  I used to not be able to sleep on my right side.  Now I sleep on my right, left and back - I guess it just depends on how I feel comfy or roll during the night.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My Dr said 20wks, or until you are umcomfortable before then. Enjoy it while you can!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageLillyBug923:
    I dont know if it's just me, but when I wake up on my back its usually because I cannot breathe.

Ditto this, and I thought it was so strange. If I need to sleep on my back, I prop myself up with a pillow or on DH so I'm not flat on my back. ?

• I just talked to my OB about it today and she said it's fine for as long as it's comfortable for me.  She also suggested putting a pillow behind me when I sleep so that when I roll over, I'm still at an angle.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I asked my doctor about this at my last appointment and he said to sleep however I am most comfortable.  He said he only tells patients to sleep on their left side if they have high blood pressure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've been sleeping however I've been sleeping....I've found that laying on my back makes me a little out of breath for a few minutes, then that subsides.  I generally tend to sleep on either side, though sometimes find myself on my back, then roll over. 

My OB hasn't mentioned this to me at all, only told me to avoid exercising on my back after 18 weeks...that, however, would require exercising at all...

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"