Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Would you/have you/do you let a newborn sleep in a swing?

DD refuses to sleep in her bassinet, she cries every 15 mins when we try to put her in there.  So, then we tried co-sleeping- worked better for her (not great) and HORRIBLE for DH and I. So, thats pretty much a no-go as well.

It seems the only place she'll actually sleep is in the swing... would you move the swing into the bedroom and let her sleep in it or do you have any other suggestions for us?

Thanks!

Re: Would you/have you/do you let a newborn sleep in a swing?

• yes...I would do what works as long as it is safe!
  • Only way we got DS to let us sleep at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't, but I would if that was the only option for sleep.
  • In the beginning we let DS sleep in his swing, pnp, boppy chair, etc.. Sleep was precious to us and sometimes the swing would buy us the most time.. You have to do whatever works for you and if that means the swing then go for it.
  • Yes we have done this...
  • YES! DS always slept in his swing...That was the only way he'd sleep at first! Of course we had it in our room and didn't use blankets or anything. I'd check on him, too. It was great to get some rest at that stage of the game with him!
  • yes ds sleeps in his daily, he naps the best in there since the dogs leave him alone in it and so does dd. At night he sleeps with me.

• I don't see a problem with it.

W (02/2009), N (08/2012), and C (04/2014)
  • DS just started liking his swing and I was wondering the same thing.. I think I might try this, too!
  • I work nights and its the only way I survive the next day. I sleep when he does in the swing. He's safe and happy. No big deal
  • DH and I slept on the couch last night for this very reason.  The swing we have is a low to the ground one so its easier to reach from the couch than the bed.

My DD also will not sleep in her bassinet so she has slept on my chest since coming home from the hospital and I've had the worst night sleep ever since.  The swing thing may be the answer to my prayers.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • EDL06EDL06 member

Do what you need to do to get some sleep! DD would only sleep on my shoulder for the first 4 weeks, and she sleeps happily in her crib now, no permanent damage done.  

• DS slept there until he was almost 3 months.  It took a few days to transition to the crib, but now everyone is in a bed!

Get some sleep!!

• DD slept in her swing for a little over 3 months. She had reflux so it elevated her, and also, she slept great in it. I kept it next to our bed and had it on at first and then turned it off when we fell asleep.

Eventually she started trying to roll in the swing and slithered out of the restraints once so we knew we had to stop. The transitions actually was not bad and now she sleeps in her crib!

• We have let DS take a nap in his swing...I don't think I'd let him sleep there all night though...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Absolutely I have done so with both kids.  I *wish* I would have done it more with DD#1 because she was a horrendous sleeper & I took so much time away from my own sleep trying to get her to do it the "right" way.  I didn't look at how old your DD was but if it's working, please do yourselves a favor & have at that swing to get some sleep for yourselves.  I promise you- there will be a time when you transition out of that & it will all work just fine.  Even DD#2- who was my much easier baby- wouldn't nap anywhere but the swing until she was like 7-8mos old.  She naps/sleeps like a champ now at almost 2 so it's all good.  Best of luck!
  • In the beginning, yes. Now..no..only cause I have to get her used to going to bed in the bassinet or crib.  But I know how it is when you first get home..sleep is important to stay sane!
  • Yup.  We did that for the first four months.  It was the only way he would sleep and sleep is so important.
  • yes! Sometimes it is the only way he'll sleep. I felt guilty about it at first, but he seems to like it and we all get some sleep so it seems ok to me!
  • Yes!
  • DD has been sleeping in her bouncy seat since we got home from the hospital. She had some gas problems and being upright help her a lot.  She is starting to move around too much in her sleep now so we have moved her to the bassinet.  The Dr said as long as she and mom and dad were getting sleep then put her wherever she was happy as long as she was safe.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"