2nd Trimester

Poll: How much PAID maternity leave are you taking?

Just trying to get an idea if our company is average, under-average, over-average...

we get 6-8 weeks paid (depending on c-section or not), and then we can use accrued paid time (vacation time or personal time). so for example, if i have accrued 5 weeks vacation time by the time i pop the little one out, i can take 11 weeks...but obviously, i don't want to use all my vacation time! 

Re: Poll: How much PAID maternity leave are you taking?

• 2 weeks before due date, then 12 weeks after birth.
  • 12 Weeks paid...Im trying to get an extra 2 mths off. But my office is so small, doesnt look like that is happening, so I am working out an alternative work schedule, which will be 20 Hrs a week
  • Loading the player...
  • Same.
    Dear Bump: You suck.
  • I'm in Canada and we get a year off for mat leave.
    Read my blog!
    Mom, why are you washing my feed in the sink?!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 12 weeks paid
  • I get 8 weeks paid and I'm debating about taking an additional 4 weeks as unpaid.  We can only take a total of 12 weeks. 
  • We have to use accrued sick leave. I am a teacher so I will have my little boy in July then take the first 10 weeks of school off, but it all comes from sick leave.
  • My company is small. We get 6 weeks unpaid.

I have been approved to take an additional 2 weeks off (as vacation time) and will be rolling over 2 weeks vacation as well.

Total I will have 4 weeks paid, but only because I'm using vacation time. 

It sucks, but we knew that going in. We're saving so that we have about 4 weeks of my salary available when the time comes..It sucks but that's that breaks when working for a company that only consists of 6 people... 

• mental note...MOVE TO CANADA!!!!!Wink
  • I will use my 2 weeks of vacation plus 3 bonus days they give you when you have a child. After that it's all UNpaid. :( I'm taking 12 weeks total.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagerosiep05:
    mental note...MOVE TO CANADA!!!!!Wink

SERIOUSLY! (and yes screaming seems appropriate)

• We get 0 paid.  If we sign up for short term disability during open enrollement then after 30 days we would reciever 60% of our pay.  Which of course I didn't because we weren't expecting to get pregnant but did the month after open enrollment.  :p 

Other then that we're allowed to save up our PTO/sick time and use it.  We've just been saving up for me to say home for a few weeks so I won't be tapped out on PTO/sick when the baby is sick. 

I'm jealous of your paid leave!!  :)

• I get 6-8 weeks disablilty (65%) but NO maternity leave. Which is lame because my husband gets 2 weeks paternity leave.  I have 3 weeks vacation time saved up.

Canada sounds divine.

• I get 6 weeks paid 100% and 6 weeks paid 70%.
  • afgafg member
    I get 2 weeks full pay (1 week will be PTO), then an additional 10 weeks at 60%.  If I want to take more, it would be unpaid and my insurance would switch to Cobra.
  • I'm using accrued sick leave as I work in the school system.  I will get five sick days back if I have a vaginal birth, if I have a c-section, then I get more sick days back.  I've saved enough sick days to be able to use approximately 16 1/2 weeks and have enough left over to use when I return.  That is, of course, I don't use any more sick days from now on. So far I have been pretty lucky not to have to use them.

DS born 2009
    BFP#2 ~ 8/2/11, EDD 4/11/12, D&C 9/12/11 at 9w5d
    BFP#3 ~ 4/15/12, EDD 12/21/12 ~ DD born 12/22/12
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsBro6116:

imagerosiep05:
    mental note...MOVE TO CANADA!!!!!Wink

SERIOUSLY! (and yes screaming seems appropriate)

We don't get the year paid at 100% of our salary, though.  It's paid by the government, so we get I think 55% (but it might be 45% the number escapes me right now) of our salary.

Read my blog!
    Mom, why are you washing my feed in the sink?!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 6-8 weeks paid- then i can use my vacation time (or up to 12 weeks un-paid)

i have 4 weeks of vacation time so i'm going to save it till the end of the year (when i'm due) and not come back until Jan 2010'

• imagePizzaBride:
    I'm in Canada and we get a year off for mat leave.
    With full pay?
    DS born 2009
    BFP#2 ~ 8/2/11, EDD 4/11/12, D&C 9/12/11 at 9w5d
    BFP#3 ~ 4/15/12, EDD 12/21/12 ~ DD born 12/22/12
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wish we got PTO! Nope, all unpaid, I am taking 8 to 12 weeks.  I have 8 weeks worth of salary saved up as of right now.  So... by July hopefully i will have the other 4 weeks set!  :)
  • I dont' get any my insurance doesn't offer short term disability and thats the only way I could get paid for it. My husband does though isn't that funny hes getting a month. I am lucky because I am due in july meaning I get paid till Aug when school starts. I get the choice if I want to take 1-3 months off right now I am thinking one and if money is okay maybe 2.  
  • we do not offically get any paid leave. I have to use what sick time I have accrued first and then it goes to my vacation time. Last time I cleared myself out.. and I will again this time too. I may take a few additional weeks unpaid.. I always thought it was so not right, but I guess I did choose to have a baby.. I can't expect them to pay me for it :( 
  • I'm only allowed to take 2-4 weeks of paid time but that's my sick time.  It all depends on when I have this baby. I'm a teacher and they won't pay me for time when I wouldn't be in school anyway. It totally sucks. But I'll get to take 4 weeks partially paid through the states new Family Leave Act.
  • C.MoC.Mo member

We can take up to 12 weeks unpaid, but my boss would flip if I took that much, unless I have a c-section. I'm taking 8 weeks, and 4 of those will be covered by built-up vacation and sick leave.

Maternity leave sucks here.

• none. I will be using my 2 week vacation pay.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I'm not sure if it's a California state law or a federal law, but you only get paid maternity leave if you've worked at the same company for over 12 months, which unfortunately, I have not. So all I have is whatever PTO time I have accrued by then, and then after that it's unpaid. So unfortunately I will be going back to work about a month after I deliver. ...Need to move to Canada...wish it wasn't so COLD there! Tongue Tied
  • We get ZERO paid leave. We're a small company so it's not required by law. I'll be taking 3 weeks of vacation, a couple weeks unpaid and then work from home for a month.
  • My work gives you 6 weeks vaginal delivery & 8 for c-section. You use the short term disability which covers 60% & work picks up the other 40%. I am taking the FMLA & taking 12 weeks though, so I'll have 6 weeks 100% paid & 6 weeks unpaid. I may use a weeks PTO in that time, but haven't decided quite yet. I'd like to work up until deilvery but we'll see what happens with that.
  • 7 weeks paid at 100%, and I can take vacation or sick the first week. (I only get 2 weeks of paid vacation, so I'm trying to save about 3 days of sick, and 2 days of vac.)
    Um, yeah. The Bump be too crazy for pics of my kid.
  • My office doesn't offer maternity leave.  I get to lump together any sick/vacation days I want to use and that's all I get.  The rest is unpaid.  I started less than a year ago, too, so my days are limited.  Huh?  I could complain but at least I get to take 10 weeks off, regardless of whether or not its paid.  I should just be thankful that we can afford it.  It might be a little tight but we can afford it.
    My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • I get 18 weeks at 100% pay,

then 6 weeks at 55% pay.

24 weeks total.  (none of that is taking sick or vacation time).

TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
    IUI #1 - #4 (repronex trigger) = BFN
    IUI#5 on 10/28/2008 ** BFP 11/10/08 ** EDD 07/21/09 *** It's a GIRL (07/14/09) AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    med/treatment free BFP 06/28/10. EDD 03/05/11 *** GIRL #2 (02/23/11)
    beta#1 @ 17dpo = 1296 .... beta#2 @ 19dpo = 3034
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    it's the Bug and Baby Belle!
  • Since I am a teacher, I have 3 months off before I give birth. End of August. 8 weeks 70& pain maternity leave.  20 sick days which would bring me to December with 100% pay.   I am taking 2 weeks off unpaid before Christmas break.  I will be returning to work after new years.  Yippee!  So basically I will miss one pay check. 
  • I'm from Canada as well. We get 50 weeks paid 55% of our earnings (15 weeks maternity & 35 weeks paternity either parent can take or split) and then some business, such as mine offer a "top-up" which is an extra payout to help make your earnings closer to when working, although its still not 100%.

I also had to go off work early, so I get 15 additional weeks sick leave. So I will be off work for a total of 65 weeks with pay. After your year of pay your job is still secured for an additional year I believe if you choose to stay home with no pay. I will porbably take next summer off too with no pay if we can afford it.

• I am very lucky.  Dh's company moved him to London and I was able to transfer to my company's London office as well so I get all the regular benefits as other people in the London office so I receive 26 weeks of maternity leave at my regular salary. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we have to use up vacation and sick time then we can take up to a year unpaid.... i have 2 months saved up
    love, passion, adore, always. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our policy is pretty much the same as yours...since I know I'm having a C-section I get the full 8; 2 wks 100% by the company, then the other 6 are 80% STD + 20% by the company. Then I can use and PTO for the remaining time I'd like off...which I have ZERO vacation, I used it for our wedding/honeymoon and I want to keep my sick days just in case I need to take days off for the baby or any illness that can arise...it will be October when I return to work.

The great thing for me is...under FMLA in DC (where I work) I can get up to 16wks of job protected leave. Although I don't plan on taking that much time ( we're thinking 12 wks) its nice to know that I have that option.

• I'll have a couple of vacation days I can use, but other than that I'm taking about 6 weeks unpaid (provided she doesn't arrive early).
  • Techincally, I will get about 4 weeks before I deliver and about 6 after.  I'm a teacher so I'm off from early June-mid August.  I get one huge check for the entire summer in early June.  Once school starts back up again in August, anything I take will be unpaid (due to some dumb IRS law, I can't use my sick days... long story).  I plan to return to work the second week in October.  I guess I'm lucky, but I'm still cranky about not getting to use any of my sick days.
  • imagePizzaBride:
    I'm in Canada and we get a year off for mat leave.

I so need to move to Canada! I get 8 weeks, which is totally not enough as far as I'm concerned!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • 6-8w paid + an additional 2 w paid that the company just started doing - so i'll have 10w paid after baby is here (having a c/s).

i also get fully paid before baby is here under STD - which does not cut into my maternity leave.  That will exhaust June 22nd but the twins will be here before then (june 15th at the latest)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"