Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How do you get your LO to burp?

I have the hardest time getting DD to burp.  The pedi said to put her over my shoulder so that my shoulder presses into her tummy and then rub up on her back.  I still can't get her to burp and the past couple times I've tried, she was crying so I could tell she was uncomfortable and wanted nothing more than to burp, but it made me cry because I couldn't make it happen for her.  Eventually she got the hiccups and had a couple burps, but I think she still had some in there that I couldn't get out.  Any other ideas for me?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: How do you get your LO to burp?

• DD was a bad burper early on and about the only way I could get him to burp (if she would) was to put her over my shoulder and walk around. IDK if it is all in my head but she seems to burp better if we are up and moving around.
  • Up until recently I would put DS in the sitting position on my lap and his chin on my hand then pat his back with my other hand.

Sometimes walking around and slightly bouncing while patting his back really helps with the stubborn ones.

imageimage

9/24/2011 Plymouth Firefighters 5k: 47:13
    11/12/2011 Diva Dash 5k: 45:45
    5/5/2012 STEM school 5k TBD Coming up in 2012:
    6/10/2012 Walk to Remember SIDS foundation 5k
    (in memory of a sweet baby boy)
    11/10/2012 Diva Dash 5k
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKinleesMommy:
    DD was a bad burper early on and about the only way I could get him to burp (if she would) was to put her over my shoulder and walk around. IDK if it is all in my head but she seems to burp better if we are up and moving around.

That's actually what I did this last time because she was whimpering the whole time, but it wasn't until she got over the hiccups that she settled down.  DD drinks sooo fast, she sometimes even chokes.  I try and tell her to slow down to no avail.  Ugh...poor thing. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've noticed that if I change his position, he will get out one extra burp. Don't know if it's coincidence - but it happens nonetheless!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLilMissLadybug:

Up until recently I would put DS in the sitting position on my lap and his chin on my hand then pat his back with my other hand.

Sometimes walking around and slightly bouncing while patting his back really helps with the stubborn ones.

This is exactly what I do (both things).
  • If I scratch DS's back with my nails (over the top of his clothing) he usually squirms around and I get a great burp out of him.  When he was only a week old, I did the think the PP described where he sat on my lap with his chin in my hand.

One think I've noticed is that a lot of new moms barely pat their DC's back.  I'm not telling you to smack them but I make a very light thud noise on his back when I burp DS (and he's completely unphased by it so I know I'm not beating him).  Just make sure you're patting him with enough force to actually make the air come up.

• imageCarrot303:

If I scratch DS's back with my nails (over the top of his clothing) he usually squirms around and I get a great burp out of him.  When he was only a week old, I did the think the PP described where he sat on my lap with his chin in my hand.

One think I've noticed is that a lot of new moms barely pat their DC's back.  I'm not telling you to smack them but I make a very light thud noise on his back when I burp DS (and he's completely unphased by it so I know I'm not beating him).  Just make sure you're patting him with enough force to actually make the air come up.

yup we have to really pat his back, my MIL yells at DH everytime because she thinks DH is hurting DS. 

also I will rub his back in circular motions and alternate with that and patting. If DS doesn't burp he gets a bad tummy ache.

imageimage

9/24/2011 Plymouth Firefighters 5k: 47:13
    11/12/2011 Diva Dash 5k: 45:45
    5/5/2012 STEM school 5k TBD Coming up in 2012:
    6/10/2012 Walk to Remember SIDS foundation 5k
    (in memory of a sweet baby boy)
    11/10/2012 Diva Dash 5k
  • For burping, the first thing I try is putting him over my shoulder where his armpits are resting on my shoulder and his stomach is resting on my chest. I take deep breaths so that my chest presses against his stomach and I pat his back at the same time. After awhile I change his position and that will usually get another burp. If that doesn't work I bounce him around while walking. Burping him takes forever though, he hardly ever does it.

As for hiccups, I blow lightly/softly over his face. It kinda startles him and triggers him to breathe in really deep and sometimes that helps the hiccups go away. When that doesn't work I breastfeed him for a couple of minutes. I think the suck/swallow reflex makes the hiccups go away pretty easily.

• imageLilMissLadybug:

Up until recently I would put DS in the sitting position on my lap and his chin on my hand then pat his back with my other hand.

This is my exact routine too. Sometimes I even just cuddle and kind of "hug" it out of them. This seems to work after nothing else will, i think because sometimes the patting and bouncing almost gets it out, but then once they relax from a hug it just comes out on its own.

So i guess we do a cycle of "pat, bounce and hug" usually one of the will do the trick...:)

• When DS was little, we would burp him after every oz of formula.  It too a long time to burp him...sometimes 5-10 minutes each time.  I found that sitting him on my lap with my hand under his chin, patting his back, and not being too gentle, and not too rough worked. Other people would try to burp him, and they would ever so gently tap his back, it NEVER worked...you had to put a little 'umph' into it!  And, rubbing wouldn't cut it either.  Try different positions and don't be afraid to pat his back firmly either.

Other times we would have to feed him more before he could burp, that doing it every oz was too often.  So we gradually let him eat more and burp less frequently.  Now DS eats a 6oz bottle and we burp him after the first 3 oz and again at athe end.  And he hates when you take it away for him to burp...he cries.  A lot.  HTH, sorry for the novel!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I do a lot of the above and I add this:
    I take DD and put my hands under her arms and prop her on my knee then lift my heel and put it down with a bump. It seems to work air bubbles to the top and burps come out quickly, then I put her back on my shoulder for good measure.
  • TRY THIS IT WORKS!!

A nurse at our pedi's office told us to lean her to her left side while burping her on our laps.  She said there is an air pocket in there that gas gets trapped in.  I was skeptical at first, but it worked for us!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageLukyNLuv:
    I do a lot of the above and I add this:
    I take DD and put my hands under her arms and prop her on my knee then lift my heel and put it down with a bump. It seems to work air bubbles to the top and burps come out quickly, then I put her back on my shoulder for good measure.

I do this too. It works really well. My DD is a horrible burper as well. Sometimes it takes 20 minutes to get one burp. I just keep changing her position. Sometimes I lay her down for a couple minutes then bring her to my shoulder and that change will get one up.

However, I've found the way I bring her up from nursing really helps to get a burp out. When she's done nursing, I turn her on to her back, then I lift her shoulders half way up-so she's at about 45 degrees, she can't be arching back at this point or it doesn't work-she should be in a hunched shoulder position, then I lift her up so her legs dangle and I place her on my thigh for the budda burp(hand under chin, hunched over). Usually she burps as soon as she hits my thigh. It's been working for me about 80% of the time since I started it. I might just be doing all this for nothing and it's coincidence; but, a burps a burp and I'm going to keep going until DD stops burping when I do it. :)

• putting DD over my shoulder works the best, but I also hold her straight up  under her chin and armpit....hard to explain but it works.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We had a hard time getting DD to burp, causing tons of spit up. What worked for us was bouncing her on our knee for  10 seconds or so and then putting her at our shoulder to burp her.

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"