Breastfeeding
Options

I found an article. Need advice!

So I'm not trying to have kids yet and I really thought I wanted to breastfeed but I just found this article and now I'm not sure anymore. It looks like a lot of hard work! TIA!

https://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200904/case-against-breastfeeding

Re: I found an article. Need advice!

• Options

I didn't read it yet. Just the headline. But if you're not ready for the work of BFing, you're not ready to be a parent. Feeding your child during infancy is the least draining thing you'll do in the minimum 18 years they live with you. I have an almost 16-year-old and a 2-year-old, and nursing my son was one of the more relaxing things I've done in the past 2 years. LOL!

• Options

You're right, I'm not ready quite yet LOL. But if there's not much of a benefit is it really worth the extra work? I'm totally willing to get the best formula and whatever else the baby needs.

EDIT: Also I am not so far from being ready! I babysit all the time. I think I know what I'm doing!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageQueSara74:

I didn't read it yet. Just the headline. But if you're not ready for the work of BFing, you're not ready to be a parent. Feeding your child during infancy is the least draining thing you'll do in the minimum 18 years they live with you. I have an almost 16-year-old and a 2-year-old, and nursing my son was one of the more relaxing things I've done in the past 2 years. LOL!

Exactly.  I didn't read it either.  I got through the top info and the headline.  This part, IMO, is bullsh!t. I can't read a whole article, probably sponsored by a formula company, that's full of this crap.

Yet the actual health benefits of breastfeeding are surprisingly thin.

And yet, breastfeeding is hard.  Parenting is hard.  Both are worth every ounce of effort.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options

I think you should read more about the benefits of BFing. This article might say that it's not that different, but there are many more articles, books, doctors and lactation consultants would would say otherwise.

Also, the benefits of BFing are not only physical. There are definite emotional benefits for mama and baby as well. 

And you know ... even though there might be just a slight benefit, according to the article (and I don't agree with that at all) ... if you told me my son would suffer 10 ear infections a year on formula and only 8 while BFing, I'd do just about anything to spare him the pain of those two infections. 

Additionally, the risk of SIDS drastically decreases in BF babies. And that number alone is enough to keep my kids on the boob. 

• Options
    imageQueSara74:

I think you should read more about the benefits of BFing. This article might say that it's not that different, but there are many more articles, books, doctors and lactation consultants would would say otherwise.

Also, the benefits of BFing are not only physical. There are definite emotional benefits for mama and baby as well. 

And you know ... even though there might be just a slight benefit, according to the article (and I don't agree with that at all) ... if you told me my son would suffer 10 ear infections a year on formula and only 8 while BFing, I'd do just about anything to spare him the pain of those two infections. 

Additionally, the risk of SIDS drastically decreases in BF babies. And that number alone is enough to keep my kids on the boob. 

Are you saying I don't love my future kids? That is a HORRIBLE thing to say!

• Options
    You don't want to play with me? Crying
  • Options

You guys, the article is legit but she's totally just messing with us...don't waste your breath

https://community.thenestbaby.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/12394415.aspx?MsdVisit=1

ETA: Oops, sorry, didn't see the last two posts...

• Options
    Does this mean that someday when I want real BFing advice, I'll need to change my screenname before coming over here?
  • Options

imagebubblewrap2go:
    Does this mean that someday when I want real BFing advice, I'll need to change my screenname before coming over here?

I'm sure we won't still be breastfeeding by then. You should be fine.

• Options
    It's actually an interesting article, but really has little to do with BFing being difficult.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickerscharlatti's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

But if you're not ready for the work of BFing, you're not ready to be a parent

I'm sorry, this is ridiculous.

I chose to FF. YES, chose. And it hasn't affected my parenting ability or my child in any way. They way overstate the supposed major benefits of breastfeeding. The article had some great points.

• Options

And funny enough my daughter will be 2 in July and she's had 1 major cold and never had so much as an ear infection.

Evil, evil formula.

• Options

I read about half the article, I couldn't stand to read any further.  I'm sorry that woman got no pleasure out of breastfeeding.  If she was only doing what she thought was the established "best" for her children, why have kids at all?  I thought that for most parents, the reason you have children is to raise them, love them, gain happiness from having them.  Not just to be a people-making machine trying to beat everyone else at the people-making game.

Yes, breastfeeding is best.  But not just for the baby, and not just in terms of nutrition, "IQ," health.  There is absolutely nothing in the world that a baby finds more comforting than nursing.  Bottles and pacifiers can only simulate the comfort, but never match it.  I can't imagine babies being raised without that comfort.

And I didn't nurse just to improve my son's quality of life.  I would have stopped if I hadn't enjoyed it.  And yet, here I am, more than 15 months later, still nursing.  And I absolutely can't wait to do it all over again with my new arrival.  It is the most personally rewarding thing I have ever done in my life.  Not everyone has to feel that way, but the woman who wrote this article is the extreme case of the opposite.

• Options

imagespringtime81:

There is absolutely nothing in the world that a baby finds more comforting than nursing.  Bottles and pacifiers can only simulate the comfort, but never match it.  I can't imagine babies being raised without that comfort.

I guess I should correct my son when his eyes roll back in his head and he hums with pleasure while sucking on that plastic nipple full of formula, cuddled in my arms. He shouldn't be so comforted, clearly. lol

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageSo Long Astoria:

But if you're not ready for the work of BFing, you're not ready to be a parent

I'm sorry, this is ridiculous.

I chose to FF. YES, chose. And it hasn't affected my parenting ability or my child in any way. They way overstate the supposed major benefits of breastfeeding. The article had some great points.

It's great that FF worked out so well for you, but why are you hanging out on the breastfeeding board?  Solely to argue with the breastfeeders?  Honestly, I'm curious. 

Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

• Options
    imagebubblewrap2go:

You're right, I'm not ready quite yet LOL. But if there's not much of a benefit is it really worth the extra work? I'm totally willing to get the best formula and whatever else the baby needs.

EDIT: Also I am not so far from being ready! I babysit all the time. I think I know what I'm doing!

?

Oh hun are you in for a surprise... babysitting doesn't come close I'm sorry to say. Worried about the work of it all, stay on BC! All aspects of parenting carry some hardship. BFing IS better for your DC and it's why the American Academy of Pediatrics, the World Health Organization and every other good health service worth anything backs BFing over formula feeding. The notion that BFing is some new thing, or so hard, and some womyn just can't do it, is a joke! How do you think the human race has survived up until now? Did the Creator make one huge mistake just waiting for 1940 for mass production of formula and companies to make money off of it to say "thank heavens my silly little humans finally improved on my divine work!"? As you can tell I get pretty into this issue. I could go on forever. Being a parent is about sacrifice and selflessness and giving your kid the best there is to offer. Do the research, BM is best. ?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"