1st Trimester

Mexico

Have any of you heard about the recent drug wars/violence in Mexico?  I have a trip planned in May (wedding) and I must admit, I'm nervous.  My husband found out about it first and didn't tell me because he thought I would freak out.  Now, I am normally a very nervous person so I wanted to see what the rest of you thought.  Here's the advisory from the gov't...

https://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html

Would you think twice about going? 

Re: Mexico

• Where in Mexico? I know there are specific areas of concern at this time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would definitely go! I suppose it all depends on where you're going and what you plan on doing but when I went last November, I felt it was very safe.  There were police check points on the major highway but nothing to be alarmed about. 
  • Loading the player...
  • As long as you stay with the shuttle from the airport to the hotel and stick around the hotel grounds rather than going out on your own, I think you should be fine.  I don't think the violence is affecting the resort areas, like Cancun, but I could be wrong. I suggest you go on www.tripadvisor.com and go into the board for the area you're going to. People on this site are pretty helpful.  I love Mexico and miss my margaritas and mojitos!!
    DS born 2009
    BFP#2 ~ 8/2/11, EDD 4/11/12, D&C 9/12/11 at 9w5d
    BFP#3 ~ 4/15/12, EDD 12/21/12 ~ DD born 12/22/12
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think this is more for the actual country of Mexico and not the Cancun, Riviera Maya, Cabo and other true resort areas.  I think it's more for Tijuana, Rosarito Beach, Mexico City, etc...I think if you are staying at a resort and do not plan on going into the city then you will be just fine. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • As long as you put yourself in a bullet proof bubble and roll around in it the whole time.Yes

I have no idea whats going on Mexico. But I could totally go for some burritos.

• Mexico has been having drug wars for years.  And yet it has still been one of the top places for Spring Break and destination weddings for years.

• I just got back from Puerto Vallarta and it was all good. I think as long as you're not wrapped up in the drug cartel your vacation should be okay.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imagemcjb09:
    I would definitely go! I suppose it all depends on where you're going and what you plan on doing but when I went last November, I felt it was very safe.  There were police check points on the major highway but nothing to be alarmed about. 

This is reassuring, driving to the resort was what I was most afraid of.  PP - we're staying in Tulum which is about an hour from Cancun. 

• imagejessicali1432:

As long as you put yourself in a bullet proof bubble and roll around in it the whole time.Yes

I have no idea whats going on Mexico. But I could totally go for some burritos.

mmmm....burritos. Bullet proof bubble sounds like the way to go.  I wonder if they sell those in maternity sizes.   
  • I'm sure you'll be fine, just be aware of your surroundings.  My Dh and I rented a car and went everywhere!  We stayed about 45 min away from downtown PV and loved it!  Enjoy and let us know how it goes! 
  • We are supposed to go to Cancun in July and I'm a little nervous about the airport and the ride to the resort. Thinking about emailing the travel agent...
  • We hear about this all time being so close to the border. You'll be fine - they've beefed up security in the touristy towns & cities, and most of the violence is not where you'll be anyway. I would definitely go.
  • I can't speak to the recent crime issues, but I was there two years ago for my honeymoon and never felt unsafe or worried. We stayed in Playa del Carmen, which is half an hour north of Tulum. It's a gorgeous area; go and have a wonderful time!
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When in May are you going? We're going on the 20-27th and we're staying in Tulum too. I am really excited but seeing those constant reports is a little worrying!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My company is based out of Mexico.  I work in NJ but we all have to travel there constantly.  There is a lot of violence going on there right now, but i doubt it will be anywhere you are going.  I'll be going in a week for work and have not even given it a second thought. We build resorts so the only places i'll be are on the resorts and i can guarantee there are not any drug wars going on at Mariott or RItz and i doubt you will be in the middle either.  Hope that helps a little bit.
  • If it makes you feel any better, we went to Puerto Vallarta last October and missed our flight there.  The next direct flight was not for another 5 days and this was our week long vacation.  We had to:

1) Fly into Guadalajara, getting there at about 10pm

2) Take a cab from the airport to the bus station

3) Take bus to Puerto Vallarta, about a 5 hour trip

Oh and we speak zero Spanish.  Our bus left at 11pm and we got to the resort at about 6am.  I believe we went through a bunch of military checkpoints on our bus ride but I was mostly sleeping.  It was a little scary but we made it.

• If you're going to resort towns, don't worry about it.  Most of the violence is going on around border towns like Tijuana and Ciudad Juarez.  Some into places like Monterrey or Mexico City, but again, I doubt you're going there.

If you're driving anywhere in Mexico in an American car (doesn't sound like you are), just be aware that you might get pulled over and you might need to bribe someone.  Although if you look like you can't speak spanish, sometimes they just let you go rather than make an effort to get money out of you.

It's so sad that Mexico is getting this bad.  There are so many beautiful places outside of the resort areas that would be lovely to visit, but with how unsafe it is to drive around them, a road trip is out of the question.

• I was just in Mexico in February, we didn't have any problems while we were there.  We saw the Mexican military out and performing random vehicle checks on the roads, but other than that we did not notice any disturbances.  If you are staying at a resort I would still feel comfort going, the resorts are we gaurded.  Hope this helps you some.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"