1st Trimester

Weight Gain

I just found out that i am pregnant. My fiance and I are both very excited! This will be my second child, but his first. I'm worried about the weight I will gain with this pregnancy, since I didn't really strive to lose the weight from the first one. I'm already weighing in high on the scale and I'm only 8 weeks along. I know it's unrealistic to lose weight while you are pregnant, but does anyone have any ideas or tips for staying fit and possibly not gaining as much weight, or how to lose it afterward?! It would be greatly appreciated. (;

Thanks.

Re: Weight Gain

• Eat nutrient dense foods and skip the junk.

Be active.

Weight gain happens..there's not much you can do about it. It's a natural process.

• Tip for the day....

Don't discuss weight gain on the Bump if you want to have everyone get along all civil and nice...

::Backs out of the post slowly, with eyes on the room::?

• Loading the player...
  • imagedairygirl19:

Eat nutrient dense foods and skip the junk.

Be active.

Weight gain happens..there's not much you can do about it. It's a natural process.

This.  Also, just make a goal to be active after you're pregnancy...I'm sure you know but breast feeding helps.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • I don't really see why weight gain can't be discussed on the bump since obviously it is a part of pregnancy! I think that especially women who have already had one are more concious of weight gain w # 2 because most women go balls to the wall with their first pregnancy. I personally gained 15 lbs in the 1st tri and 65 overall with my first pg and I don't want to do that again. I also ate crap whenever I felt like it and laid around a lot. The good news is with #2 is that you don't really have the luxury to lay around all day which helps! I am also just trying to eat more healthy, fresh foods and eating when I am hungry- not just because I am bored or because I can. I think so far I have only gained 2-3 lbs and I am almost done with the 1st tri. Good luck!
  • imageK-I-S-S-I-N-G:
    I don't really see why weight gain can't be discussed on the bump since obviously it is a part of pregnancy!

Agreed!!!!

• There's not much you can do at this point.  The trick to losing that baby weight after birth has alot to do with how in shape you were before. That or dedicate to living in the gym after the baby arrives.    While there shouldn't be an excess in weight gain (especially if you're already overweight) - definitely don't obsess with your caloric intake.  My RE told me that I should bump up to an extra 300 calories sometime in the 2nd trimester. 

Your best recourse now is opt for healthier food choices.  Talk to your doctor about a nutritional plan while pregnant or go see a nutritionist. 

Also ask about a workout program because you can workout while you are pregnant as long as your doc says it's ok to do so. 

• Make sure you drink 64+ ounces of water a day.... it will make you feel like you have something in your stomach and you won't have that "hungry" feeling as often. And try to go walking.... even if you just go to the mall, or Target....
  • imageJaredandKatie:

imageK-I-S-S-I-N-G:
    I don't really see why weight gain can't be discussed on the bump since obviously it is a part of pregnancy!

Agreed!!!!

Yes it can be discussed if it's logically discussed.  But seriously people  posting about dieting while pregnant is just Dumb Dumb Dumb.  It should be common sense to stay active and eat healthy (which a person should do anyways!!).  Which is why it never makes much sense why people come on here asking what they can do to keep from gaining a bunch of weight.  DUH....don't eat crap all day every day.  I think it's crazy how people care about not gaining weight only when they are pregnant but before their BFP they were stuffing their face with McD's and ice cream and couldn't have cared less what they weighed (I'm not saying this is you, but people talk about it all the time on here).

• imageAlenaS:
    imageJaredandKatie:

imageK-I-S-S-I-N-G:

Agreed!!!!

Yes it can be discussed if it's logically discussed.  But seriously people  posting about dieting while pregnant is just Dumb Dumb Dumb.

So how is this not logical?  hmmm.....

It doesn't look like other ladies had a problem with it.  Don't start drama.

• I definitely started out this pregnancy heavier that I was when I got pg with DS.  I'm worried a bit about the weight gain this time since I gained 60 with DS and only lost 50 before I got pg with this little one. 

I'm making a conscious effort this time to make more sensible choices...and cut out refined sugar.  I'm not always successful...but I have also just had to eat whatever sounded good for the last 6 weeks due to severe nausea.  I haven't been able to work out like I wanted yet due to m/s, but I am planning on walking most days when I can.  

Weight gain is inevitable, but I'm trying to be sensible this time around...no more lemon meringue pies (the entire pie) at 10 p.m.

GL!

• imageJaredandKatie:
    imageAlenaS:
    imageJaredandKatie:

imageK-I-S-S-I-N-G:

Agreed!!!!

Yes it can be discussed if it's logically discussed.  But seriously people  posting about dieting while pregnant is just Dumb Dumb Dumb.

So how is this not logical?  hmmm.....

It doesn't look like other ladies had a problem with it.  Don't start drama.

What are you talking about?  I was answering the question. I thought I was even nice enough to say that I wasn't saying this applied to the OP.  You just see drama and snark where there isn't any.  Geez, someone's feeling overly sensitive today!

• imageAlenaS:
    imageJaredandKatie:

imageK-I-S-S-I-N-G:

Agreed!!!!

Yes it can be discussed if it's logically discussed.  But seriously people  posting about dieting while pregnant is just Dumb Dumb Dumb.  It should be common sense to stay active and eat healthy (which a person should do anyways!!).  Which is why it never makes much sense why people come on here asking what they can do to keep from gaining a bunch of weight.  DUH....don't eat crap all day every day.  I think it's crazy how people care about not gaining weight only when they are pregnant but before their BFP they were stuffing their face with McD's and ice cream and couldn't have cared less what they weighed (I'm not saying this is you, but people talk about it all the time on here).

LOL, trust me when you are 9 months pregnant, pushing past the 200lb mark on the scale and have cankles so big you can't squeeze them into your sneakers, you my find yourself asking the next time you are pg "what can I do differently this time so that doesn't happen again!?!"

• I don't think the OP is trying to loose weight.  She stated she is already high up on the scale and when you are a bit heavier - Doctor's suggest less weight gain. 

The caveat here is this :

No matter what you weigh prior to pregnancy you must gain weight. Women who are clinically overweight still need to gain at the minimum 15 pounds, and women who are underweight need to gain more than the average statement of 25-35 pounds, usually at least 10-15 pounds more depending on the severity of the weight problem.

https://pregnancy.about.com/cs/symptoms/a/weightgain.htm

• Hey sugareexx!

I know how you feel. I'm already up 14-16 lbs and in my first trimester. I know why though. I used to eat healthy and work out a lot. With this pregnancy, the m/s has just made me not want to eat healthy. I will say, however, that now that I am at the end of the first tri, I am eating much healthier. Smile

Don't listen to the *** Brigade tell you what you can and can't post about. You can post whatever you want. What I've learned is that if it's a topic they don't want to hear about for the hundredth time, rather than just passing it by like a mature adult, they'll call you out on it.

Anyway, just try to keep eating fruits and veggies and fill up on things healthy for you and the baby. Smile

• uhhhh.... you're SUPPOSED to gain wait, a whole bunch of it actually.  and fyi, super shiity topic.
  • Sugareexx- I know exactly what you are talking about. With my 2nd pregnancy I started out 30lbs heavier. Whoa I thought that was the most I had ever weighed. LOL Well I just kind of said screw it I indulged WAY too much and gained another 50lbs. Yep thats right my body how now reached its all time high I was officially 80lbs overweight. YIKES!!!  Its funny b/c I didn't even realize how big I was until it was too late.  Well here I am today just finally finished losing all the weight and now I am pregnant again. I promise I will not gain like I did with the last one. My first pregnancy I gained the normal  30lbs and I lost it immediately.  I am soo aware this time around of what is going in my mouth. I think you will be ok if you stay active and really watch what you are putting in your mouth.

Now really if I can keep my butt and thighs from getting ginormous!!! :)

• Oh and ignore the ones that just want to put a negative spin on the topic. I can assure you if they gain weigh to much with this pregnancy. They will ask the same question the next time. I have tons of stretch marks on my hips and butt to remind me what I did to my body last time. I don't ever want to feel like that again. So my Dr. is ok with me gaining only 15-20lbs. Basically the biggest concern is making sure the baby is gaining weight.
  • imagebenifer224:
    Oh and ignore the ones that just want to put a negative spin on the topic. I can assure you if they gain weigh to much with this pregnancy. They will ask the same question the next time. I have tons of stretch marks on my hips and butt to remind me what I did to my body last time. I don't ever want to feel like that again. So my Dr. is ok with me gaining only 15-20lbs. Basically the biggest concern is making sure the baby is gaining weight.

First of alll....this isn't my frist time at the rodeo.  I'm already gaining more this time than I did at this point with my DD.  But guess what....I'm not worrying about it.  I'm not stuffing my face with crap all day, and when I don't feel like crap I stay pretty active.  So as I said before if someone has a healthy diet and they try to stay active any weight they gain is just going to happen.  It's called pregnancy.  As the Neudorfer said, it's a shiity topic for this reason.  People get touchy when other people say you're supposed to gain weight.  You've all proven that point for reading the wrong things into what I said. 

• Maybe I'm missing something-If you don't like the topic, then don't post about it or even read it.

She's not asking about dieting tips or weightwatchers advice for crying out loud, she's asking for suggestions to not gain as much as before. There is nothing wrong with that and if you're offended by it, then don't get into the post. I don't see what everyone is making such a huge deal about?!

• imageabsred2000:

Maybe I'm missing something-If you don't like the topic, then don't post about it or even read it.

She's not asking about dieting tips or weightwatchers advice for crying out loud, she's asking for suggestions to not gain as much as before. There is nothing wrong with that and if you're offended by it, then don't get into the post. I don't see what everyone is making such a huge deal about?!

My thoughts exactly.

• is anyone else completely confused on how such a simple innocent ? got blown into a giant *** fit? Seriously are we all still in high school? i thought this was a place for grown women to come and feel free to ask ?'s w/o being mobbed.....can't we all just get along?!? for christ's sake we're all about to become mothers and we can't even have a civil conversation online!!!!  i'm very disappointed. Sad
  • Maybe I'm missing something-If you don't like the topic, then don't post about it or even read it.

EXACTLY!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Well how about this then....

You had a weight problem before after and during the first pregnancy, what makes you think anything is going to change this time around? What are YOU going to do DIFFERENTLY?

All the advice in the world isn't going to stop you from shoving down a cheeseburger at the drive thru and heading in to the joint for more....

Is that what you prefer - because that is what I was thinking as putting as my original answer but opted for a more tactful one instead.?

• didn't ur mother teach you if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all? trust me i know the world is all sunshine and rainbows but do we really need to be putting ppl down? i don't see how you think you can just go all over here running ur mouth about ppl eating cheeseburgers? like that's the only reason ppl end up being over weight! do u have any empathy?
  • imageNeudorfer:
    uhhhh.... you're SUPPOSED to gain wait, a whole bunch of it actually.  and fyi, super shiity topic.

wow. thanks for taking time out of your day to tell me how shitty it was. it couldn't have been too shitty if you replied to it. i obviously know that i'm supposed to gain weight. i was just stating "out loud" how nervous I was about after giving birth, and the way my body would look. thanks for nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"