Babies: 0 - 3 Months

follow-up to SIDS argument-flame away if necessary

I have a three week old.  I swaddle him, even when he is sleeping.  I make sure blankets are away from his face.  When you all are upset about blankets in the crib/craddle, are you talking about just covering the child, or am I horrible for swaddling?  Should I be putting him in a sleeper with no blankets whatsoever? 

Re: follow-up to SIDS argument-flame away if necessary

• I don't think anyone is flaming for swaddling.

Kristen (7), Timothy (5), Robert (3), Charles (9 months)

• swaddling is totally fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • swaddling is fine, other blankets, no way.  You are doing fine!  :D
  • I put one very thin blanket in the crib with dd.  She does not like being swaddled, she will kick herself out of it every time, so we put a very thin blanket on her, and tuck it in very tightly on all sides of the matress. 
  • swaddling is safe so long as they are tightly wrappd and face isn't covered.  Haven't seen earlier post but sids concern is over loose blankets that could cover LO's face.  Can use blanket up to waist but must be tucked under mattress so it can't cover airway. HTH
  • Swaddling isn't a problem.  Just don't cover your infant up with the stupid blanket that comes with crib sets.  I just don't get that. 
  • I can only speak for DH and myself.....after the first night with DS home, we went out and bought a few Halo Sleep Sacks because apparently we weren't very good at swaddling DS.  The blanket would constantly come loose and we were super paranoid about it coming up over his face.  DS has slept in a sleep sack every night since.  He's wearing one in my siggy pic.  Whether or not we leave his arms out depends on how fussy he is when he goes down.  What he wears under it depends on how warm it is in the house, etc (sometimes just a onesie, sometimes plus  pajamas.)  He's warm enough and DH and I get a little peace of mind at night.  We only use blankets when we're holding him or taking him out.
  • I think if you get technical, the blankets and other materials in the bed can suffocate your baby (again swaddling is fine) but SIDS is where they die without cause. 
  • swaddling is fine! i also use the halo sleep sacks they are cute and warm
  • I had never seen the Halo Sack.......looks great.  Thank you.....
  • imageLuLu38:
    I had never seen the Halo Sack.......looks great.  Thank you.....

my DS loves it!  it keeps them so cozy and they look like little angels in them. :)

• swaddling is different.
  • You are doing great! isn't being a mom the most wonderful thing?! Have you heard of the Halo sleepsack swaddle? It is a wearable blanket that has these wings on it that make it really safe to swaddle your baby. They can't get the wings over the face like with a loose blanket. It is really a great product and they are endorsed by SIDS alliance (First Candle) and i know they have won a bunch of awards for design and things like that. The best part is my baby's safety wasn't dependent on my swaddling skills!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"