3rd Trimester

Update: laid off at 34 weeks PG

I just got done having a second interview.  The company wants to bring me in for a third interview on March 16th.  ).  The first two interviews were phone interviews), so I haven't yet told them I am PG.  They also want someone on board pretty quickly--the latest I could push them off for a start date would be May 1--but more than likely it actually looks like I would have to start by April 15.  Which means I would be going back to work just a couple weeks post partum.

But I don't really have a choice at the moment.  My DH works for GM and could be laidoff any day, as well.  And he started chemo about about 3 weeks ago and many of the drugs he is on are "exempted" from the healthcare coverage he gets through GM because they are so expensive ($800 a week).    So last week I thought I had a nice 12 week covered maternity leave with DS and now it looks like I will be going back with virtually no time off.  I would have stayed home indefinitely with DS, if not for DH's medical condition and employment prospects right now.

On the up side, this job is better than the one I left, it has more flexible hours and better pay--(about a $35K pay increase per year!).  It would be my dream, if I just didn't have to start so damn soon.  Ok--trying my best to stay positive about this...at least the hiring manager told me I am the strongest candidate they have.  We'll just see what they think when I show up 38 weeks PG at the next interview!

Re: Update: laid off at 34 weeks PG

• I hope that your in-person interview goes as well as the first two!

My DH is up for possibly being laid off just 3 days after we are due, so I can understand some of your feelings. I hope that your DH's chemo goes well.

Charlotte Elizabeth - March 15, 2009
    Natalie Kate - October 4, 2011
    Blighted ovum, d&c at 9w, July 2012
    Blighted ovum, d&c at 10w, September 2013
    BFP May 28, EDD February 4, 2015
  • Good luck to you! I just got laid off today so I know how you are feeling. But luckily I think DH is safe (you never know these days). It stinks that you have to go back so soon if you are hired, but it looks like you have no choice. I wish you the best and hope everything works out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Good luck to you and your hubby with everything!
  • I hope everything works out for you - my DH was just laid off last week so I know how much this all sucks. I will keep you in my thoughts and hope that the job you are applying for all works out and that they hire you on the spot!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Goodluck with your next interview! I'm sure they would much rather have you being 38 weeks pregnant and going to work after you have the baby than being 30 weeks and expecting a maternity leave! I'm sure everything will go great though!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Not fun, but I think you can take PFLA even later on in the year if you need to.

DH only took 2 days off when DD was born. She was born on Wednesday and he went back to work on Monday. Do you have daycare lined up?

HUGS and congrats too. You're taking care of your whole family by doing this.

Samantha Skye - Aug 30, 2006 AND Maxwell Griffin - April 14, 2009
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Good Luck! Hopefully they will recognize the resource they are getting and overlook the wait time to get you on board. fingers crossed
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSxia:

Not fun, but I think you can take PFLA even later on in the year if you need to.

DH only took 2 days off when DD was born. She was born on Wednesday and he went back to work on Monday. Do you have daycare lined up?

HUGS and congrats too. You're taking care of your whole family by doing this.

Yes, we have the long term daycare lined up.  DS will have the same babysitter my DD has gone to for the last year.  She is an absolutely amazing and loving caregiver, so that part will be fine.  But if I need to go back to work when the new baby is only 2-4 weeks old, that is just far to young to be off to a babysitter's house every day.  He won't even be used to the world around him yet, let alone being in a house with several other toddlers running around. 

So for the short term, my mom has agreed to stay with us M-F and then go home on the weekends for a month or two--if we need her that long.  Hopefully DH can work it out to be home for a week or two, then my mom can come for a while and maybe we won't have to send DS to daycare until he is 3 months+

• Wishing you and your DH the very best!

I hope this job will be patient about letting you start a little later.  

• I hope you get the job! I know it wouldn't be ideal to start that soon, but you gotta do what you gotta do to take care of your family.

If you don't get the job, I would talk to your state's civil rights agency about possible pregnancy discrimination.

• I hope everything goes well for you and your new job.  I will keep your family in my prayers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"