2nd Trimester

Am I big enough?

I'm 16 weeks and I'm scared that my belly isn't as big as it should be.  I'm still wearing non-maternity clothes and you really can't tell by looking that I'm unmistakably pregnant.  I'm definitely bigger than I was pre-pregnancy, but it still doesn't look like a "pregnant belly."  This is my 1st pregnancy.  Dr. said at my 12wk check-up that I was growing on track at that time. Anyone else not very big at this stage?  Do you think this is abnormal? 
>a>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Am I big enough?

• I didn't get a bump until 20 weeks. You are normal!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, everyone is different of course, so it's hard to say what is "normal". I am almost 19 weeks and am just now exclusively in maternity clothes. I was half in regular clothes and half in maternity clothes from the time I was 15 weeks until about last week.
  • Loading the player...
  • Don't worry everyone is differnt! Look at the photos of the Belly Friday post. I was goign to post one but i really don't have a "belly" I am just big all over the middle (no more waist for me)

• Totally normal. But we'd still like to see a belly pic. :)
    image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • Nope, it's totally fine.  I'm 23 weeks and still barely showing.  Every woman is different and their bodies react differently.  If the doc says you're good, then you're good.
  • I have lost two pounds, hopefully from my thighs b/c I have gotten a little stretched in the stomach and uterus area. But no one can tell, not even really me or my DH. If we touch it, we can feel my uterus and know stuff is going on, but I'm not any different to anyone who doesn't see me naked (a lot).

It also depends on what size you are...I'm a big girl to begin with (5'9", 230 lbs) so I'm definitely on track with my weight/size so far.

Um, yeah. The Bump be too crazy for pics of my kid.
  • How fast you show depends on your size, your height, your build, your posture, your uterus....  there is a long list.  So everyone shows differently.  You are fine, I promise.  If your doctor says you are on track, then you are on track.

I work with a girl who is 4 weeks ahead of me and she is huge and miserable.  She was obviously pg by 13 weeks.  I on the other hand look pg when I wear a tight shirt, but could still very easily hide it.  And my baby has consistently been measuring one week ahead since I was 16 weeks.

So don't try to compare yourself to others.  Enjoy not being huge!!

• Everyone is different. If your Dr. isn't worried then you are doing fine. I still wear my pre-pregnancy jeans and shirts but that will probably end in a few weeks.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
    Birthday
  • no you are fine! Im 15 weeks and barely showing but its normal for a lot of people to start popping around 20 + weeks
  • Don't worry!  Everyone's bump pops out at a different time.  It may take a while, especially with your 1st pregnancy. 
  • some people don't show until around 20 weeks and even then it's not big enough for others to notice.
  • I wish i could say that. I am 18 weeks and I have been showing since about 9. Yes most of it was bloat but at around 10 i started to really show. I have gained 15 pounds already... TO me that is a lot but some say all women are different

I seem to show and carry big and early. Good luck to you

• i totally hear ya! I'm the same exact way but i just had a dr appt wednesday and she said i was growing beautifully...

it's hard though waiting to finally pop :)

love, passion, adore, always. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's very normal.  My bump is still barely sticking out because I have a very long torso even though I've gained 21 lbs.
  • I am 21 weeks and not big at ALL. I was at the dr on the weekend and they said my uterus is in exactly the right place. At my big u/s they said my baby is measuring normal. So I'm sure you're fine too.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • Got my bump at 21 weeks BUT I was in maternity pants at 12 weeks. I hated bloat and would rather be comfortable than even remotely snug.
  • YEAH MY BUMP GREW ALMOST OVERNIGHT ABOUT 20 WEEKS, THIS HAVE MOVED FAST SINCE THEN, I STILL WAKE UP AND LOOK IN THE MIRROR IN THE MORNING AND SHOCK MYSELF AT HOW PREGNANT I LOOK NOW, THERES NO HIDING IT ANYMORE! IT'LL COME DONT WORRY!
  • imageeaa18:
    YEAH MY BUMP GREW ALMOST OVERNIGHT ABOUT 20 WEEKS, THIS HAVE MOVED FAST SINCE THEN, I STILL WAKE UP AND LOOK IN THE MIRROR IN THE MORNING AND SHOCK MYSELF AT HOW PREGNANT I LOOK NOW, THERES NO HIDING IT ANYMORE! IT'LL COME DONT WORRY!

Holy caps.... And why do you have more than one ticker for the same pregnancy?

:confused::

image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • I'm with you.  Even thought it's normal, it doesn't mean I don't occassionally stress about it.

My doc says any gain between 0 and 10 pounds is fine with her, but every now and then my lack of substantial bump makes me worry.  Especially when other people comment about it.

I know it's probably silly and unnecessary worrying, but I'm soooo looking forward to my u/s next week to "prove" I'm still pg and everything is progressing as it should.

• Thanks guys.  I feel soooo much better!  I can't wait for my next check-up on Tuesday to hopefully have the doc tell me the same thing you all have. 
    >a>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Huh? Everyone is different!
  • I have the same issue, I am 15 weeks and another lady in my office is about 4 days a head of me. She looks very pregnant and all day long from my co workers I get comments about how I must not be eating or that I am way too small. Its very irritating. The good news is...everyone grows differently. At my last OB appointment my doctor assured me that everything was fine and the baby was growing at a perfect rate.  

Don't worry, like my family keeps telling me, enjoy the flexibility of having a small stomach while it lasts :)

• Don't stress over this, I was feeling like you feel right now but finally last night my husband tells me, "Wow Sweetie, I think you're pregnant!" After looking at my stomach as I changed shirts.  Just last week he was still suprised I wasn't showing.  I have found it just happens over night almost but trust me you have plenty of time to grow and stretch, just try and be patient.  Smile
  • I def wouldn't worry about it. First of all you can' t compare yourself to other pregnacies because no one is the same.  I am having twins and no one could really tell until I was about 18 to 19 weeks. So don't worry. I just stopped wearing my regular jeans a week ago. Just wait until you pop out. It will just like happen over night.
  • You're fine. I wasn't very big at all at 16 weeks (belly pics in bio), and I'm growing a gigantic baby that's almost twice the size he should be!

Just tell anyone who comments on your lack of belly at this point that baby's just as big as s/he should be, you can't help it if your abs of steel are holding everything in nicely!  Wink

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Not only is everyone different, every pregnancy is different. This is my second. With my first I was very visibly pregnant at 17 weeks. This time my belly is bigger but I just look like I gained weight and am getting chubby. I started off at the same weight and size both times and both are boys so I don't really know why I look smaller but my doctor says he is growning just fine so I'm not worried. I'm sure you're ok.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • im almost at 18 weeks, have to bump and have not gained any weight yet...everyone is different, if your doctor is not concerned then you shouldnt be either
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • i am still in normal clothes, had to get bigger bras but things are just now getting tight for me but you cannot tell that i am pg.  everyone is so different and i think you will just wake up soon with a bump but it may not be until 20 or more weeks which is totally normal.  i try not to compare my lack of bumps to others!!  as long as your doc is not concerned, you are good!

• I didn't start really showing until a couple weeks ago....everyone is different, so no need to worry--especially if your doc said you're right on track.

• Hey lady, if it's your first pregnancy it usually takes a bit longer to get your bump.  Be thankful on your second there's NO MERCY!   You practically find out because you're bloat starts so much sooner!  Everyone's body is different, but you are the classic first pregnancy.  You'll get your bump soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"