2nd Trimester

How long past sell by date would you eat ground turkey?

I swear, sometimes DH doesn't think. He made dinner tonight. We had spaghetti with ground turkey. After dinner, my stomach was upset and I've gone to the bathroom twice now. I tried to not make it tmi.

So I asked what the date on the ground turkey was since something upset my stomach. He had no idea. I checked in the trash and the sell by date was Feb. 13th.

Do you think 5 days is a reasonable window for a sell by date? I think it's pushing it, especially since it was in the fridge and not the freezer. So now my stomach is paying the price. DH says 5 days is an ok window. I think he's nuts. What do you ladies think?

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How long past sell by date would you eat ground turkey?

• Yikes!  Ummm, maybe it's just me but with meat I wouldn't go longer than 2 days MAX!  Hope you're feeling better soon.  Tongue Tied
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I personally won't even eat it on the day of, even if it's sell by not best by. Just a weird quirk of mine, I am sure it's fine though. I think most of them give you about a week, but I am not sure.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a freak when it comes to meat!  I dont eat it past the sell by date if its out of the fridge!  Even more so if its ground  meat.  I'm sure other than bathroom issues you'll be ok but dont eat anymore!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I guess maybe I'm a "sell by date snob"...but I refuse to eat/drink anything after the sell by date...even though it should be good for at least a few days.  If I see the date, and it's already "expired"...it just tastes nasty to me!
  • 2-3 days I'd say...but I'm very anal retentive about best by, sell by, and expiration dates....
  • I don't eat anything past the date unless it has been frozen.
    DD #1 Amber Lynn 12/2000, DD #2 Leia Elizabeth 6/2009, DD#3 Aayla Ruth 08/2012. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't have eaten it. ?That is too old for me. ?I would probably only go one day past the expiration date. ?But I try really, really hard to eat or freeze meat before it expires.
  • Well, at least I'm not totally crazy. I've been ranting at him ever since I saw the date. I know I'm going pregnancy crazy but I was like "why would you serve your pregnant wife expired poultry? Next time, check the date." I never thought I'd have to say that because he is a freak about expiration dates. He never eats anything if it is past it's best buy date. WTF happened here? In my mind, if it's "sell by," I will give it 1-2 days. But that's it. Not 5!

I think the stomach tsunami has passed.

• Honestly, as long as it was fully cooked you're fine.  The only risk to ground meat is bacteria, and they don't survive cooking.  Was there something else funny in your dinner?  (I'm finding broccoli and cauliflower really upset my stomach lately)
  • imagejmkirste:
    Honestly, as long as it was fully cooked you're fine.  The only risk to ground meat is bacteria, and they don't survive cooking.  Was there something else funny in your dinner?  (I'm finding broccoli and cauliflower really upset my stomach lately)

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm not really worried about anything happening to baby. Just pissed that DH wouldn't even think to check something like that. I didn't really have anything else odd. I had milk, green beans, and the spaghetti. I couldn't eat anything else after that b/c I was running to the bathroom. I do have a pretty easily sensitive stomach so I know my triggers, which could very well be changing now that I'm pg.

• imagepatrickandkim:
    I don't eat anything past the date unless it has been frozen.

Yes

As long as you get it into the freezer by the "sell by"/"use by" date, it will last for months - I just took out ground round yesterday that'd been frozen for six months, defrosted it, ate it today, and it was fine.  BUT, if it's in the fridge past the date, you have to throw it away.  It can go bad in the fridge...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I never eat anything 1 day past the sell date.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"