3rd Trimester

Finding out how big baby is...

How exactly does this work? 

My doctor told me I won't have any more u/s's from here on out, so for those who say they know the baby is measuring big, is this being determined with a u/s?  Was the u/s scheduled, or were you measuring ahead?  I have to admit I am a little scared that baby will be huge, but if I don't have any more u/s's scheduled, how could they tell?  I'm confused...please fill me in.  Thanks.

Re: Finding out how big baby is...

• Give birth. They can't even tell with an u/s. There is absolutely no way to tell baby's size until he or she is born. Period.
    imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have weekly u/s (called a biophysical) because I'm considered to be high risk.

I wish it was like my last pg, when I didn't have the weekly u/s. IMO it's better not to know (or think you know) you're having a BIG baby. Less chance of more medical intervention that way!

• Loading the player...
  • They call it a "growth ultrasound" and you only get one if you have some sort of complication, like GD or measuring big.  Although I guess some doctors do one for every patient...they don't around here :)
  • imageBananaPancake:
    Give birth. They can't even tell with an u/s. There is absolutely no way to tell baby's size until he or she is born. Period.

exactly!

• I had an appt. last week and my dr was just feeling my belly to see if baby was head down, and she made the comment that my child felt really big.  She estimated close to 9 lbs.  Then she scheduled me for a U/S for today and that confirmed her predictions. 
  • imageBananaPancake:
    Give birth. They can't even tell with an u/s. There is absolutely no way to tell baby's size until he or she is born. Period.
    ditto - every time I get an u/s they say the baby is measuring big - so much so that my backup OB says he won't give "clearance" for me to give birth @ home if baby is more than 7 1/2 lbs @ 38 weeks. my midwife scoffed at this. she says it's all an estimate - and it SO is! she says I'm measuring exactly where I need to be. so the u/s people and that OB can go scratch.
  • imageBananaPancake:
    um....yeaaah they can tell by a sono if a baby is too big..while the measurements arent exact, they do give a general idea....they will know to order one if your fundal height measures too big
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageDorr_Evil_Twin:
    imageBananaPancake:
    ditto - every time I get an u/s they say the baby is measuring big - so much so that my backup OB says he won't give "clearance" for me to give birth @ home if baby is more than 7 1/2 lbs @ 38 weeks. my midwife scoffed at this. she says it's all an estimate - and it SO is! she says I'm measuring exactly where I need to be. so the u/s people and that OB can go scratch.

Well for your sake, I hope your midwife is right....I do sonos and I find that midwives dont always know what they are talking about really.....Id personally prefer the opinion of a physician

• So, at my biweekly appointments my fundal measurements have consistently been larger than average, so at 37 weeks they sent me for a growth ultrasound to get a better idea.  The baby measured in at 7lbs 4 oz (82nd percentile), so the u/s confirmed that he is a bit larger than average.  It is just an estimate though-I don't know how accurate it really is. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • They give a "general idea" that can be really inaccurate.  And since women typically don't grow babies they can't birth, it is pointless to either slice them open proactively or to frighten them before birth by "general" predictions that aren't that accurate.

Sure, if the fundal height is high you'll be sent for an ultrasound, but it could find excess amniotic fluid, twins, or some other reason for it.  

An experienced practitioner can get a "general idea" of a baby's size by external palpation, too, if they do that routinely- my midwife guessed my son's weight (before he was born) within three ounces.

But the ONLY sure way to know how much a baby weighs, is to give birth and then weigh the baby!

• Its obvious that the only precise measurement is going to be the weight after delivery.....however, women who develop gestational diabetes have a tendency to have large babies, and sometimes they pass thier 28 week glucose test, so though an ultrasound may not be 100 percent accurate due to the size and position of a late third tri fetus, it is a good idea to have a sono when you measure greater than your dates because it can be helpful for both baby and Mom.  Ive had a couple patients pass thier glucose and then at sono we find concern for diabetes based on babys size and fluid.  A doctor is not going to cut open a patient who measures big and is preterm...in fact, I believe before 38 weeks or something along those lines, they must do an amnio to induce a baby for its size. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"