2nd Trimester

Baby shower - paper plates

paper napkins and platic utensils...  Is this as tacky as I'm thinking?  My MIL is asking me what I want for the shower.  Hmmm...

Re: Baby shower - paper plates

• After hosting a few... No I don't think tacky, I think easy clean-up so everyone has time to enjoy the party!
    BFP#1 10/8/08 DD born 6/24/09
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BFP#2 4/4/12 EDD: 12/13/12 m/c at 8w2d
    BFP#3 8/18/12 EDD: 5/1/13 Beta @13DPO: 61, Beta@15DPO: 216
    Baby BOY!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I don't think paper plates and napkins and plastic utensils are tacky for a baby shower at all...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think so ... every baby shower i have been to in the last year has used them ... just get them from the party store you can buy hard plastic ones that look nice or you can buy colored ones to match the theme of the party :) Either way its a baby shower people should not be expecting the same as a wedding or other event?
  • not quite sure what your baby shower standards are.... it's not tea with the queen!

• I honestly do not think so. My wedding shower was catered and my mom and sisters used decorative paper plates and utensils ... It was not bad. My baby shower is at a resturant (we have a private room, early in the day before they open to the public) So I don't even know what kind of utensils we will have there. But the last baby shower I went to used decorative paper plates as well. I think it is just too much clean- up for the host to do dishes for 30+ people. IMO
  • It works for bridal showers. At mine we used the heavy-duty clear plastic plates, utensils, and punch cups. Use some cute paper napkins, maybe with a baby theme, and what's the problem?

Save money where you can - nobody cares what kind of plate their food is sitting on, so long as it's clean.

• Almost every shower I have been to has used paper and plastic, usually decorated with some cute baby pattern. I don't think it's tacky.?
  • Not at all. As long as what you're serving doesn't soak through! :)
  • imageiluvabrit:

not quite sure what your baby shower standards are.... it's not tea with the queen!

Ok, good point : )

• I don't think it is tacky.
  • I don't think I've ever been to a bridal/baby shower that DIDN'T use them.

• Not tacky. It's expected at parties like these.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I really don't care. Whatever makes life easier on the people that are hosting my shower is cool with me.
  • Nope, it is easy clean up for the host, and like pp said, no one cares what their food is on as long as it's clean.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it depends on how many people you'll have and why type of a party you're going for.  You can find some really cute baby shower plates that might go with the theme.  But, if you're going for more of an elegant theme, I'd ditch the paper. 

Disposable stuff is much easier, and I think most people actually expect to see paper and plastic when it's the type of shower that has games and has a casual feel to it.  If you have a smaller crowd and are going for a less casual event, I'd go with real plates and cutlery.  I think it's really your call.

• no way!!! easy clean up and more time for fun!  Big Smile
  • not tacky at all- i have never been to a baby shower where there has not been paper and plasticware- unless it's being hosted at a restaurant (then the restaurant should provide the plates and stuff) then it is NOT tacky at all- i don't see the logic in that at all?
  • Thanks so much ladies!!  It WILL save money so that's great.
  • I don't think I've ever been to a baby shower without using paper plates, plastic utensils, etc.
  • I'll be the lone dissenter.  I *hate* paper plates and plastic utensils and would never use them at any kind of a party I threw (and I've spent hours washing dishes after a big party).  But I also wouldn't enforce that burden on someone else and I certainly don't leave a party where paper plates were used thinking about how I wouldn't have done it.  So I guess I'm not dissenting at all....

• I think it depends on the formality of the invitation being sent out.

If you are getting embossed invitations printed, then I would say it's tacky to set that level of formality for your guests and then follow up with paper plates.

If you send out printed/prepackaged invites, the guests should figure it is a more casual affair and paper plates are totally acceptable.

• I always use those clear plastic plates and forks with cute baby napkins. I got tons of the plastic plates and forks at Party City last year and just use those for get together.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Bj's and Costco sell the fake china!  It's disposable but they look real. 
  • I think plastic/paper is the norm...really aren't showers supposed to be tacky? It's a party with no purpose other then asking for gifts...where people pass around diapers full of chocolate poo and bet on how fat you are...good tacky fun!! Just kidding though! I just hope someone has a shower for me! My family usually only does it for firstborns which was over eight years ago.
  • I wouldn't do it if I was throwing a baby shower, so I totally know what you mean.  THAT BEING SAID, it's important to keep an air of gratitude and realize that you MIL is trying to show love for you and your baby believes that she is throwing you a nice party.  She's not purposely doing what in your mind is a faux pax.  So stay open hearted, let her take the reins, and you will enjoy yourself more.  Because it really doesn't matter.

• 1A1A member
    not tacky to me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • no, not tacky just not too environmentally friendly.  I am having a "green" shower so we are using china and silverware but I realize this is not for everyone.  It is much easier/quicker to use paper for those throwing the shower.
  • Depends on where the shower is. At at home not its fine, but a nice place then tacky for sure!
  • This is sort-of off subject, but when is the appropriate time to have a shower.  My sisters are throwing me my shower and I am due the beginning of June I was thinking that the last weekend in April would be good but is that too early?  I was not sure but I thought it would be a good date in case i delievered early.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"