Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Having a Mulatto Baby...

So I am having a mulatto baby. I am white and her dad is black. He is clueless though of course when it comes to babies. I have heard already that darker skinned babies should have double the dose of vitamin D drops (800units a day instead of 400units) Now I am worried there may be other things that I am un-prepared for. I know that the hair care is going to be different obviously but I am going to wait to see what kind of hair she has before buying product.

Is there anyone else out there that has a mulatto child and can give a girl some advice?

Thanks so much!!

Re: Having a Mulatto Baby...

• Start by educating yourself about the word "mulatto"

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageiris427:
    Start by educating yourself about the word "mulatto"

Yeah...yikes.  I might as well call my half Caucasian/half Latina baby a coconut;-)

• Loading the player...
  • Hi Iris,

I don't know why you would even post that response but obviously you don't know what mulatto is. Get a dictionary and look it up. You are even online so google is honey.

Mulatto means a child being born of both a white and black decent.

I know what it means thank you. so maybe you should start educating yourself as well as get some manners and show some respect.

• Be careful with your words please - you may not mean it to be so, but for some people that term is demeaning.

As for your concerns - follow your pedi's advice about vitamin D. And I'm not sure that hair care will be all that different from everyone else - at least as an infant,

• Dial 1-800-MUD for a good time.

Seriously, you might as well have dropped the N bomb.

• Uh, yeah stop using Mulatto.  As a bi-racial individual it is an offensive term.  It was used historical to describe bi-racial people and actually means a cross between a mule and a horse.  You can guess which side was the mule.

As far as taking care of the physical needs, I don't think there is much of a difference.  All babies have the same needs.

• Mulatto denotes a person with one white parent and one black parent or a person who has black ancestry and white ancestry.[1] It is perceived as pejorative and demeaning in some cultures and endearing in others.[2] Its current usage varies greatly.

Wiki to the rescue. It's not a PC term, honey.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemeg_olson:

Hi Iris,

I don't know why you would even post that response but obviously you don't know what mulatto is. Get a dictionary and look it up. You are even online so google is honey.

I know what it means thank you. so maybe you should start educating yourself as well as get some manners and show some respect.

Technically you're right -- I don't think Iris meant to be offensive, it's just that as other posters have mentioned, the term can have negative connotations for a lot of people.  My DH cringes at the term "hispanic" instead of "Latino" even though the definition may be the same.  

• MUD. For real. Racist MUD.
  • I'm really not trying to flame you but I haven't heard the word mulatto in ages. People usually say mixed and some people would consider your child black. Also, the vitamin comment kinda baffled me because I've never heard that either. Does your Dh have a sister who can do your child's hair and show you how to style it? I'm sure once you get the hang of it things will come naturally for you. GL!
  • imagemeg_olson:

I'm quite sure Iris, et. al. know the meaning of the word, and you are the one who does not.  So STFU and delete this absurd post.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageSunny1inTucson:
    MUD. For real. Racist MUD.

I was wondering if it was...but just in case it isn't, maybe it's better for her to find out now that some people see this term as having connotations beyond the black/white definition.  I hope it's MUD...

• Wow!  I hope this is just MUD, because how could someone even go about calling their child a mulatto.  I have a ten year old daughter who is bi-racial and I have my little boy on the way.  I would never call them mulattos or let anyone else call them a mulatto, it's a word that has negative undertones to it.  You say the father is clueless, but it sounds like you are the one who needs to be educated...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This has to be MUD or my MIL.  She calls her grand daughter mulatto and worried about her hair. She had no idea it was offensive, and choose to ignore me after I told her it was.
  • People, PUHLEASE

LOOK at the post count.  MUD MUD MUD.

• I'm going to admit I never knew that word was offensive.  I never even thought about it but I guess I've never really used it either.  I really don't think the op meant to offend anyone and i'm sure she's sorry if she did.

• mulatto???

try inter-racial, multi-racial, bi-racial or mixed next time.  I sincerely hope you don't say this out of your mouth in public

• What does MUD mean?
  • That's all the responses this post got? It's obviously MUD, but I was hoping for actual drama to ensue. lol

ohwhattheheck - it's MUD, this level of cluelessness doesn't exist...IRL or on thebump

• Pathetic, racist MUD.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"