Success after IF

A/S today, anyone else have excessive fluid around baby's kidneys?

We had our A/S today and generally things look great. There was some extra fluid around the baby's kidneys that was a little concerning. We will have to follow up (with the MFM I presume) at 32 weeks. It happens for 6:100 babies, so it's not common or particularly uncommon, I guess.

It rained on our parade a little bit, especially bc H's sister and mom have kidney issues. We were pretty excited that DD had no issues and kind of assumed that since it was in 2 females in his family we need not be on alert with a baby boy. Perhaps, that was a little too optimistic.

It might be totally fine, or a bigger deal. Anyone have experience with anything similar?

After a loss and 4 IUIs, a surprise BFP while on rest cycle due to cysts and "supercharged ovaries" brought us baby M.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: A/S today, anyone else have excessive fluid around baby's kidneys?

• I'm sorry the A/S didn't come out perfect.  Is the fluid IN the kidneys or just around it?  Is there fluid in the ureters too (the duct that drains urine from the kidneys into the bladder)?

M was diagnosed with megahydroureter and hydronephrosis on his due date.  Basically, his left ureter was swollen up (because of obstruction where it empties into the bladder), and the fluid backed up into his left kidney.  I've had prenatal u/s all along and it was never noted, until my final ultrasound done at 40w.  I was referred to a pediatric urologist prenatally (M was born 8 days past due), and we f/u with an ultrasound and VCUG at 3 weeks.  Everything was stable and we went for another f/u at 6 months.  At 6 months, the degree of swelling has gone down from 5->3, so we were told no intervention and to f/u again at 18 months.

I'm not sure if that's what they're seeing on your A/S?  It isn't uncommon and the urologist said 90+% of cases resolve on its own and do not need any intervention.

Another PAIFer's LO also had this, but I forgot who it was.  

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • I dont have any advice but wanted to give you hugs. Hope you get some answers soon and that it turns out to be nothing to worry about.

• No great words of wisdom here but I have to say it is a good thing that they picked this up on u/s now & they can monitor things & treat if necessary when LO is born.  My DS has severe kidney reflux that was never picked up on u/s despite weekly u/s for months.  He ended up in hospital on IV antibiotics for several weeks when he was just three weeks old & it tooks them days to diagnose him.  I know it's a concern for you but it is good that they are aware of it now & it may turn out to be nothing.  Best of luck!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have no experience but sending thoughts and prayers that everything is alright with your LO.
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

• mg0202mg0202
    2500 Comments 250 Love Its Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Is it fullness of the kidneys?  I am not sure of fluid around the kidney, but dilatation of the collecting system of the kidneys is fairly common in boys.  There are different degrees, do you know what the measurements were?  A lot of times it will resolve itself after birth.  The will probably do an ultrasound of the baby after he is born to see how things are and continue to monitor in utero.  I am very hopeful this will be just fine ((hugs))

ttc since 05/2010 with PCOS and MFI
    2 IUI's = BFN
    IVF with ICSI, ER 11/28/2011 ET 12/03/2011 1 blast transferred
    4 snowbabies
    BFP! EDD 08/20/2012
    Everyone Welcome
    baby girl joined us 8/23/2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• MG, I believe they said there was "fluid around the kidneys" and although they didn't give me specific measurements, I'm pretty sure I noticed the measurement at the time it was completed as 5-6 mm.

Basically, they said that if there was this amount of fluid at 32 weeks they would not be concerned, but it was too much for this stage in development

RoseHQ, I think kindey reflux is the issue that H's family has (or at least part of the issue) they also mentioned problems where the ureter connects to the kidneys requiring surgery to reconnect them. When I mentioned this to the MFM he said that the condition isn't clearly genetic, but what we were seeing could be consistent with the condition I described.

I am still hoping it's totally resolved before birth, but if not, you are completely right we are lucky to know now. I guess the monitoring for AMA has some advantages ;)

After a loss and 4 IUIs, a surprise BFP while on rest cycle due to cysts and "supercharged ovaries" brought us baby M.

• Oh cinci, I'm so sorry to hear that. It must be so scary, especially given family history. I will be sending lots of T and P that it's nothing to worry about. Hugs!
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

imageimageimage
  • I don't have experience with this, but these kind of scares SUCK.  I really hope it just resolves on it's own and is nothing to worry about.  

These boys need to go easy on us ... gesh.  
    *My Loves, My Life, My Littles*

02/18/11, 05/24/12 and 12/03/13

• No experience but I hope everything turns out okay

image imageimage

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

• I'm sorry you received troubling news. Hopefully this is the sort of thing that might resolve itself by the next u/s?
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 

• Thinking of you and your sweet LO and praying that everything turns out to be just fine. Big hugs, mama!
    TTC#1 since oct 2009, DOR
    IUI #1-3 (jan-mar 2011), all BFN 
    IVF #1 oct 2011, BFN      
    IVF #2: dec 2011, BFFN
    FET #1: feb 8, 2012, BFP!!!  chibaby born october 29, 2012!

TTC #2
    FET #2  sept 5, 2013-BFFN
    new RE
    IVF #3    feb 2014-BFFN again...
    Headed to CCRM 
    IVF #4 oct 2014 
    4 CCS tested normal embryos! Amazing! 
    FET dec 18! 
    Praying for another miracle!

• Thanks for the kind words everyone, we are feeling positive and keeping the news to ourselves until we know more. Thinking good thoughts :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards