Pregnant after a Loss

Vitamin D Deficiency/Malabsorption Issues

Vitamin D Deficiency/Malabsorption Issues

I'm not completely sure where the best place to ask this question is, but I'm going to start here.

I have been deficient in Vitamin D since at least December (first time I was tested), and with high levels of prescription Vitamin D, my numbers are still low 6 months later. My Dr. said I have malabsorption of Vitamin D. He has no clue what might be causing this. He just wants me to keep taking Vitamin D and see what happens in three months.

I've done some research online and some places say that Vitamin D deficiency can affect your fertility. My Dr. (an endocrinologist) had never heard of this and said he will research it (when/if he will get back to me who knows...).

This is our 11th cycle of trying post lost so we aren't being treated for infertility at this time, but I am wondering if this might be a reason we aren't getting pregnant. If we don't get pg this cycle or next, I am suppose to follow up with my ob/gyn for testing for myself and my DH (I saw her in March and she didn't want to do anything until end of summer). She is very hesitant to even run tests as she can't see a reason we aren't get pg (I can see via temps that I am ovulating regularly, we've been able to get pg, etc)

The reason I am asking is I don't want to just sit around and not take action with the Vitamin D and then find out it is still a problem and is keeping us from getting pg.

Has anyone had a deficiency or malabsorption problem and be able to resolve it and see an affect on getting pregnant or had a Dr who discussed this at all?

Sorry this is so long - any advice would be appreciated. TIA!

photo a1-daffodil-wallpaper-hd-2.jpg

TTC #1 March 2012: BFP: 7/13/2012 * EDD: 3/19/2013 * Natural M/C: 8/2/2012 at 7w2d

October 2013 - dx unexplained IF    November 2013 Cycle#1 w/Clomid = BFP 11/27/13, EDD: 8/6/14!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Vitamin D Deficiency/Malabsorption Issues

• km_mdkm_md
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Fifth Anniversary
    I don't know much about Vitamin D deficiency, and this may be a stupid question, but are you taking the vitamins in pill form? Do you know if there is another way to get it? I only ask this because I am B12 deficient and my body won't absorb it if I take vitamins so I have to have it injected monthly. I don't know if this is a possibility with vitamin D or not, but I'd be worried if my levels continued to stay low even while taking vitamins. I hope that you can find some answers soon ((hugs))
    Married my own Prince at Walt Disney World Resort on September 9th, 2010 
    BFP#1 - 25/Aug/12 - EDD 2/May/13 - M/C - 08/Sept/12 - 6w2d - Never in my arms, forever in my heart <3
    BFP#2 - 13/May/13 - EDD 25/Jan/14 - Evelyn born January 27th 2014 

My Blog

<3 All AL Always Welcome <3
    Congratulations to all of my TTCAL Treehouse friends on their BFPs and Rainbow Babies!!
  • image km_md:
    I don't know much about Vitamin D deficiency, and this may be a stupid question, but are you taking the vitamins in pill form? Do you know if there is another way to get it? I only ask this because I am B12 deficient and my body won't absorb it if I take vitamins so I have to have it injected monthly. I don't know if this is a possibility with vitamin D or not, but I'd be worried if my levels continued to stay low even while taking vitamins. I hope that you can find some answers soon ((hugs))

I'm not sure. I'll ask. I am thinking this is possible as the main source should be from sunlight.

TTC #1 March 2012: BFP: 7/13/2012 * EDD: 3/19/2013 * Natural M/C: 8/2/2012 at 7w2d

October 2013 - dx unexplained IF    November 2013 Cycle#1 w/Clomid = BFP 11/27/13, EDD: 8/6/14!

• When I was seeing an RE, before we got pg with DS2, he mentioned vitamin D being a factor in successful pregnancies. So I took a supplement then and am again this pg, even though I haven't tested low.

I would definitely find a way to follow up on your questions about it.
    Mommy to Alden, born May 19, 2007 - best birthday present ever! natural m/c October 20, 2008 at 8w1d BFP April 4, 2009! Missed m/c discovered May 1, 2009 D&C May 12,2009 BFP March 3, 2010 Chemical pregnancy BFP May 25, 2010 Elias Derek born January 26, 2011! Surprise BFP October 24, 2012 Missed m/c confirmed Nov 26 D&C Nov 30 Surprise BFP February 13, 2013
  • ejb23ejb23
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Love Its Second Anniversary
    I had really low vitamin d when my first blood test results came back with this pregnancy. I was told to take 4000 dose of vitamin d until I was re tested recently and the number went slightly up so I'm down to 2000. They aren't sure what caused it or if it was related to my first m/c
    Good luck!!

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think I can help. I had this issue. Vitamin D level was 9. Dr told me for ferility they want 25 or more. I was on 50,000mg per week for months. It went up to 19, still not enough. I did a lot of research and found that the best way is to get sun exposure to you bare skin (I forget what time of the day). I would go outside in just my bra and panties and lay for 20 minutes, 10 each side. This really helped.

I did all the fertility testing. The only thing they identified besides the vitamin d was my age (Im 39). Shortly after I fixed the vitamin d I got pregnant.

Also take liquid. i got drops at whole foods. Easier to absorb than pills.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image KKDRAGONFLY:

I think I can help. I had this issue. Vitamin D level was 9. Dr told me for ferility they want 25 or more. I was on 50,000mg per week for months. It went up to 19, still not enough. I did a lot of research and found that the best way is to get sun exposure to you bare skin (I forget what time of the day). I would go outside in just my bra and panties and lay for 20 minutes, 10 each side. This really helped.

I did all the fertility testing. The only thing they identified besides the vitamin d was my age (Im 39). Shortly after I fixed the vitamin d I got pregnant.

Also take liquid. i got drops at whole foods. Easier to absorb than pills.

I'll see if I can find the liquid and get more sun. Since I live in ND, I know we have a harder time getting vitamin D just from the sun, but worth a shot.

• Have you been tested for celiacs disease? Or gastroperissis ? These are two issues that cause severe vit d deficiency. Dr Braverman who is a leading m/c doctor strongly believes it is related to m/c and infertility. Are you on the 50000 dose of vit d? It sounds to me like you need to see an re
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• image luvboston:
    Have you been tested for celiacs disease? Or gastroperissis ? These are two issues that cause severe vit d deficiency. Dr Braverman who is a leading m/c doctor strongly believes it is related to m/c and infertility. Are you on the 50000 dose of vit d? It sounds to me like you need to see an re

they tested for celiac's and that came back negative today. 

I haven't heard of gastorperissis, but I'll do some googling.

I am on 50,000 units once a week for 8 weeks (D2), and then 6 weeks of 1000 units daily of D3. This is my third time through this regimen. My levels started at 13, went to 20 and are now back down to 18.