May 2013 Moms

Hairy bottom

DD had her 2 month checkup and shots today. While the shots broke my heart, she handled it very well and only cried for about 5 mins after.

However, when my pedi was checking out her back, she looked very closely at her bottom and pulled her cheeks apart to look. Afterward she told me that the patch of darker hair above her bottom can be an indicator of spina bfida but that she didn't have the dimple that usually occurs with it and she was moving her legs appropriately so she wasn't concerned.

I know if my pedi isn't concerned that I shouldn't be either but come on. How am I not supposed to worry now? I kind of wish she never would have told me that's what she was doing. Has anyone else experienced this or have anything to add?

BFP #1 – 4/14/12 – EDD 12/16/12 - ectopic pregnancy – MTX 5/11/12

BFP #2 – 9/2/12 – EDD 5/17/13 - our sweet rainbow DD born 5/23/13

BFP#3 – 1/5/14 – EDD 9/12/14 – natural m/c 2/16/14

BFP #4 - 8/11/14 - EDD 4/24/15 - please stay, little BOY!

imageimage

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Hairy bottom

• nola78nola78
    5000 Comments 25 Love Its Second Anniversary First Answer
    My cousin had something similar happen with one of his kids.  They ended up getting an MRI (? can't remember the exact imaging they had) to rule out spina bifida and he was fine.  If your 1st tri screening and A/S all came out okay, and your LO isn't showing any issues now, I'm sure it's nothing more than a coincidence.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 1/10/12; EDD: 9/20/12, born too early on 5/7/12 (20w4d) due to IC/PTL/chorioamnionitis.
    BFP #2: 8/30/12; EDD: 5/9/13, emergency cerclage placed at 22w5d, dx cardiomyopathy, strict bed rest for 14 weeks. DD born at 39 weeks.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    All ALs always welcome
  • image nola78:
    My cousin had something similar happen with one of his kids. nbsp;They ended up getting an MRI ? can't remember the exact imaging they had to rule out spina bifida and he was fine. nbsp;If your 1st tri screening and A/S all came out okay, and your LO isn't showing any issues now, I'm sure it's nothing more than a coincidence. nbsp;

I didn't get a 1st tri screening but the AS was normal. I hope you are right. She didn't recommend an MRI or anything so hopefully she was just being extra cautious.

BFP #1 – 4/14/12 – EDD 12/16/12 - ectopic pregnancy – MTX 5/11/12

BFP #2 – 9/2/12 – EDD 5/17/13 - our sweet rainbow DD born 5/23/13

BFP#3 – 1/5/14 – EDD 9/12/14 – natural m/c 2/16/14

BFP #4 - 8/11/14 - EDD 4/24/15 - please stay, little BOY!

imageimage

BabyFetus Ticker

• My first had a similar issue. She didn't have the hairy bottom, but did have a spinal dimple. It basically looks like her butt crack stops and starts again just above it, a very small spot, maybe a cm long as a 5 year old, it's barely noticeable and only then if she is like bending over.

Anyway- they had us go for an ultrasound to rule out spina bifida and she was just fine. 

I'm sure your LO is just fine too. Did they recommend any additional tests?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • My lo actually has the dimple but is ok. At the hospital they were really looking closely but were reassured because they could easily see the bottom of it. Pedi said the same thing when i brought it up and wasn't concerned at all.

• image mommatotwo2:
    My first had a similar issue. She didn't have the hairy bottom, but did have a spinal dimple. It basically looks like her butt crack stops and starts again just above it, a very small spot, maybe a cm long as a 5 year old, it's barely noticeable and only then if she is like bending over.nbsp;Anyway they had us go for an ultrasound to rule out spina bifida and she was just fine.nbsp;I'm sure your LO is just fine too. Did they recommend any additional tests?

My DD has the same thing. They did an ultrasound hours after delivery to rule out SB.

I'm sure it's nothing, since your doc isn't concerned. If it would make you feel better, call the dr and talk about it in detail.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Katherine Marie born 11/12/10 via c-section 5lbs 1oz

Dx with MTHFR Mutation 12/10

8/23/12 - BFP EDD 5/3/13
    Andrew Ryan is on his way

• libi07libi07
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    There are 3 indicators of SB from what I understand...the dimple, hairy patch and a cooked butt crack.  If you have one indicator, chances are pretty low.  My LO has a crooked butt crack and had an ultrasound to rule out a tethered cord, but a friend of mine's LO had the dimple and her doctor didn't do any additional tests.  I think it's just an overly cautious thing..some check for it and some don't.  I'm sure everything is fine, but if you want to make sure, as about an ultrasound.
  • image maymomNY:
    My lo actually has the dimple but is ok. At the hospital they were really looking closely but were reassured because they could easily see the bottom of it. Pedi said the same thing when i brought it up and wasn't concerned at all.

This for me too.
    Baby girl born 5/20/13. Figuring it out as we go. :)
  • My doc had mentioned that a birth mark there can be an indicator of spinal issues. But nothing of hair. He did say that a mark there doesn't necessarily mean there's an issue. I'm sure your LO is fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards