Babies: 3 - 6 Months

For those with trucks

We have a extend cab, 4-door truck right now, but are thinking of selling it to get rid of the car payment and get an older used truck.  Many of them have a backseat, but aren't true "4-door" trucks.  I was wondering how well the carseat would fit in one.  Also, this might be a stupid question, but can babies rid in trucks that are only 2-doors?

Re: For those with trucks

• kmc84kmc84
    Long-Lasting Membership 5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its
    We have an extended cab with 4 doors. We have a britax b safe in the middle. Rear facing seats will not fit behind either seat.

I think a two door truck can probably only take a car seat in the passenger seat with airbags turned off. I would avoid this at all costs though.
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:29 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:30 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    U/S 6w2d One perfect bean with a HR of 125
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    DX now PCOS
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Beta 8/2 201*Beta 8/4 554*Beta 8/6 1206
    U/S 8/21 One baby with a HB (132) and a small SCH

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes, I don't want a 2-door, but my husband keeps seeing old trucks he likes with them.  We have the britax as well, so that's good to know.
  • mnj05mnj05
    250 Answers Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its

I also have a crew cab 4 door truck I just got a week ago and never even tried the car seat behind the seats. I wanted to but DH installed the base at the dealership and I didn't even know it, but it works.

DH has an extended cab but more of the third door type, not true four doors like mine. We can't fit the car seat behind the seats in his and it's even a little tight in the middle. I like it though because it's easy for me to reach in the car seat if I need to for whatever reason.

I agree, I wouldn't go 2 door either.

image Photobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy EDD 3/7/2013
    Hudson James born 3/1/2013 7lbs 15oz 21in long

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

• We've got a regular cab and DD can ride in it as long as the airbag is TURNED OFF. The only real issue with trucks is that the child is right up to the body of the vehicle while they are safest in the middle most seat of a big vehicle.
  • From carseat.org

Can I put my child in the front seat of a pickup truck?

Many pickup trucks have back seats that are too small for child safety seats. Researchers at the Children?s Hospital of Philadelphia have found that the risk of injury to children riding in the back seat of a compact extended-cab pickup truck is five times higher than when riding in any other vehicle. Injuries appear to be caused by hitting the inside of the pickup.

If you have a larger pickup with a back seat that faces the front of the truck, a safety seat may be installed there if the truck?s manual recommends it and the safety seat?s base is supported by the truck seat cushion. Check the instruction booklet, since manufacturers require that 80-100% of the base be touching the vehicle seat. You can reduce the risk of injury for forward-facing children by tethering the safety seat. Using a top tether can greatly reduce the chance of a child?s head striking the interior of the pickup. Installation of a safety seat on a side-facing jump seat is not allowed by any child restraint manufacturer.

If you must install a safety seat in the front seat of a pickup truck, make sure the air bag is turned off, either with an on/off switch or with an automatic sensor (check indicator light). Some passenger air bags will expand to cover the center seating position, so installing a safety seat in that location may be dangerous to your child. Check the vehicle owner?s manual to find out where child safety seats may be installed. Installing a safety seat in the front seat of any vehicle increases the risk of death to your child by more than 30%, so a pickup truck without a back seat is not the safest choice for transporting a child.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards