Stay at Home Moms

Grass fed meat

Someone in that bizarre thread about organics mentioned how much better grass fed meat tastes. Do you find this to be the case? And how do you even know how it's fed? Do the labels say so if it is grass fed? 

I try to buy all our meat at 2 little really old grocery stores here that do their own butchering there, but there are no labels on the meat. Well, there are but it just tells the fat content and the weight/price.

Just curious. 

Forever blessed through adoption! 7-17-11

Re: Grass fed meat

• Our meat is labeled. I think it tastes better but smells worse while it's cooking.
  • Target actually carries different brands, Laura's meats and Meyers. 

Meyers is antibiotic and hormone free.  All the cattle are vegetarian fed. 

Laura's is also antibiotic and hormone free, vegetarian fed.

I have eaten both.  I don't know that the taste is so much more amazing.  I do feel like I am putting better beef into my system though.  However, I still buy whatever is on sale. 

Check out my blog ---->  http://minismama.com/
  • There is a taste difference and there is also a difference how my stomach handles if. I have messed up stomach flora so I can't have much red meat. When I do i have to have a high quality.
  • image letranger:
    There is a taste difference and there is also a difference how my stomach handles if. I have messed up stomach flora so I can't have much red meat. When I do i have to have a high quality.

So does your stomach handle the grass fed beef better?
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • dhvieldhviel
    2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary 250 Love Its First Answer
    Grass fed meat will taste different.  It's kind of like wild vs beef (in a very minor way as wild has it's own taste anyway).  The biggest difference will be fat content.  Grass fed will be much leaner and you will be able to notice it while cooking. 

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Grass fed tastes slightly gamier.

• image Mrs.Hizzo:
    Grass fed tastes slightly gamier.

And that's a good thing? I thought gamey was bad? When I cook venison I try to cover up the gamey taste. I assume the gamey beef isn't quite so distinct? 

Forever blessed through adoption! 7-17-11
  • I don't really notice a huge difference but I'm no foodie. Grass fed always seems leaner and has a really great taste. We buy local because it's more humane and free of hormones and antibiotics etc.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Grass fed is considered superior by many because it is what cattle would natuturally eat. They would not eat corn if it were not fed to them among other things they are fed. Generations ago grass fed beef was the norm, not the exception. Now our taste buds have changed because we re used to the milder taste of corn fed cattle.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Hav=Fath:

image Mrs.Hizzo:
    Grass fed tastes slightly gamier.

And that's a good thing? I thought gamey was bad? When I cook venison I try to cover up the gamey taste. I assume the gamey beef isn't quite so distinct? 

It's not good or bad, just an observation. Grain-fed meat has more fat and a milder flavor. I like grass-fed meat because it's a lot higher in omega fatty acids, and I like the taste. I don't think it's gamey like venison, but then again, all the deer around here eat pine needles and the meat is gamey X 10. 

• I mentioned it in the other thread. I'm no foodie, food snob or anything of the sort BUT this is the one area I have noticed a difference. I can't even explain it. It was a different texture, much more smooth. It was easier to chew. I didn't notice any odor. I'm really not sure why it was great to me but it was. It was just quality meat.

Kind of like how you can get a burger at McDonald's or you can make one at home. They both are ground beef, I think, but homemade usually tastes substantially better. Bad example but that's the best I've got.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image Teacher Clark:
    image letranger:
    There is a taste difference and there is also a difference how my stomach handles if. I have messed up stomach flora so I can't have much red meat. When I do i have to have a high quality.

So does your stomach handle the grass fed beef better?

Yup. I still can't eat red neat daily. But when I do I don't have gut wrenching pain.
  • I can definitely tell the difference between grass fed meat and regular meat. It tastes a lot better and is a lot better for us too, no hormones, no crap, truly all natural. Vegetarian fed is not the same as grass fed. Grass fed means the animal is eating pure greens, as nature intended. Vegetarian often means they are eating grains, which helps them grow faster than eating greens. The downside is that grass fed is more expensive, but I think it's worth it. At the very least, getting meat with no hormones or antibiotics is worth the extra $ than the meat that is more commonly raised just for the purpose of growing the animal as quick is possible without much consideration to the quality of the meat or what the stuff they feed the animals are doing to us.