Cloth Diapering

Used CDs

I know a lot of you here buy used CDs but I'm wondering how many only buy new. I'm working on building my stash before our LO arrives in Oct. So far I've bought 5 RAR OS covers. I plan on buying 36 infant prefolds and about a dozen or so AIOs and or pockets. I'm fine buying the prefolds and covers new but would really like to buy the rest used. DH is insisting we only buy new! I'm still holding out hope that I can catch Charlie Bananas marked down at Target but if I don't I'd really like to get a variety of used. His reasoning for buying new is that since we plan to have at least 23 kids they will last longer than buying used. If I bought used I would probably buy them from a local store that consigns used CDs that way I can really inspect them before buying. Any advice for convincing him it's okay to buy used CDs? It's not like we can't afford to buy them new I'd just rather save the money and buy used!

Edit that's 2 to 3 kids! I forgot mobile eats the dash! Or maybe we'll have 23 and be the next reality tv stars!
Photobucket
Married 3/27/10
TTC #1 Jan 2012 BFP#1 4/17/12~EDD 12/17/12 ~m/c at 6weeks 4/22/12 ~ Morgan Quinn
BFP #2 2/25/13 EDD 10/31/13 DS born 10/23/13
 BFP #3 11/8/14

Re: Used CDs

• pregkepregke
    10 Comments Name Dropper

23 kids?!

I think I'd go with new for myself, just because I'd be sure they're 100% good to go.  Then again, it all depends on finances.

The only way I'd find them secondhand is by buying online.  I've only ever seen two or three CD on Craigslist locally.  Nobody uses them here.

31 years old, TTC #1 after MC of blighted ovum 8/15/13.

• I will only buy covers that have been gently used.  In general everything is new.  Especially if you're going to have 2-3 kids (I think you forgot that dashStick out tongue)  If you are going to use a CD on 3 kids, I'd want to start off new.  That way, you know they will last because you will be the one caring for them. 

If you set on buying some used stuff, you really should join one of the facebook swap groups.  But if it is truly price that is a concern, try joining a co-op, they run amazing deals on very comparable cheaper options.  My favorite is Baby Wizard, which you can get as a cover or a pocket.  When my co op ran them they were going to $5 a piece.  There were Mama's buying their whole stash for like 100-150 bucks!  

Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • image ABColeslaw:
    I will only buy covers that have been gently used.nbsp; In general everything is new.nbsp; Especially if you're going to have 23 kids I think you forgot that dashStick out tonguenbsp; If you are going to use a CD on 3 kids, I'd want to start off new.nbsp; That way, you know they will last because you will be the one caring for them.nbsp; If you set on buying some used stuff, you really should join one of the facebook swap groups.nbsp; But if it is truly price that is a concern, try joining a coop, they run amazing deals on very comparable cheaper options.nbsp; My favorite is Baby Wizard, which you can get as a cover or a pocket.nbsp; When my co op ran them they were going to 5 a piece.nbsp; There were Mama's buying their whole stash for like 100150 bucks! nbsp;

Are the coops a local thing? I've never heard of anything like that around here.
    Photobucket
    Married 3/27/10
    TTC #1 Jan 2012 BFP#1 4/17/12~EDD 12/17/12 ~m/c at 6weeks 4/22/12 ~ Morgan Quinn
     BFP #3 11/8/14
  • I think it really depends on the diapers. If you want expensive dipes that have a great warranty, new might be ok. But if the warranty only lasts a month there's not much to gain buying new. Some mamas try them once or twice and sell. Used doesn't mean old.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Used depends on the condition. If you can find some that were only used a handful of times, go for it. But covers and pockets wear after 1 to 2 children and need upkeep. Elastic and Aplix should be replaced.

If you plan on using them for 2 to 3 kids, buy new. You could probably get away with buying prefolds used. They last longer and if treated right, they can be used for several children and as rags after.
  • I've only bought new but have been building my stash over time and waiting for sales to pop up to buy.  It's mostly because I've been too lazy to really search for some quality used dipes.  Since this is our 1st, I felt more comfortable spending more.  If I was on my last, I would have been more proactive in finding good used deals.
    image imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    On our way to 2u2
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image kklamb10:
    image ABColeslaw:
    I will only buy covers that have been gently used.nbsp; In general everything is new.nbsp; Especially if you're going to have 23 kids I think you forgot that dashStick out tonguenbsp; If you are going to use a CD on 3 kids, I'd want to start off new.nbsp; That way, you know they will last because you will be the one caring for them.nbsp; If you set on buying some used stuff, you really should join one of the facebook swap groups.nbsp; But if it is truly price that is a concern, try joining a coop, they run amazing deals on very comparable cheaper options.nbsp; My favorite is Baby Wizard, which you can get as a cover or a pocket.nbsp; When my co op ran them they were going to 5 a piece.nbsp; There were Mama's buying their whole stash for like 100150 bucks! nbsp;
    Are the coops a local thing? I've never heard of anything like that around here.

No I belong to 5 co ops on Facebook alone.  You should do a fb search for mama co ops or cloth diaper co ops.  If you go to the baby wizard page on FB, there is a list of coops currently running baby wizard.

Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • image ABColeslaw:

image kklamb10:
    image ABColeslaw:

No I belong to 5 co ops on Facebook alone.&nbsp; You should do a fb search for mama co ops or cloth diaper co ops.&nbsp; If you go to the baby wizard page on FB, there is a list of coops currently running baby wizard.

Thanks I'll check it out!
    Photobucket
    Married 3/27/10
     BFP #3 11/8/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards