Parenting

Red spot on bottom eyelid

Starting yesterday, DS has a small red spot on the bottom of his one eye. Before yesterday, I noticed it was very slightly pink but it looked like just a scratch at that time. It's gotten a little bit more noticeable since then.

He's not scratching at it or rubbing it. It's just there. Could it be one of those stys or cysts? I don't think he would sit still for me to put a warm compress on it.

Should we give it a couple of days to go away on its own? It's not very bad at all, he's just never had this before. 

"They tell me you were born premature, my child, but this is only partially true..
for in my heart you were right on time." 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Red spot on bottom eyelid

• It sounds like a stye possibly? I've read that cold tea bag compresses work. Black or green tea. There are also stye relief drops at Walmart, but I'm not sure if there is an age restriction on it.
  • My guess would be a stye. I'm just getting over having an aweful one right now. Its still pretty red and swollen on my bottom eyelid. I actually went to the urgent care walk in clinic on sunday bc it was so red, tender, and swollen. Its pretty nasty looking, TBH.

Although, contrary to what the PP said, the dr advised me to use hot compresses for about 10 minutes at least 4 or 5 times daily to help bring it to the surface and rupture on its own. The heat will also help with redness and swelling.

Eta..I was also put on antibiotics due to mine being very inflamed and located right next to my tear duct.
  • It could be a stye or cyst.  DS1 had one on his bottom eyelid when he was 15 months.  His did not ever come to a head but instead grew larger towards the inside of his eyelid and eventually turned into a granuloma which is just a mass of tissue.  We had to see an eye doctor about it because it was quite large and could have caused damage to his eye if left untreated.  We used steroid eye drops on it for a few weeks and that took care of it.  Just keep an eye on it and if it doesn't seem to be getting better take him to the pedi to get it checked out.  From the outside, DS1's just looked like a little redness on his lower lid, no bump or anything until you pulled his eyelid down.

image image
  • image amykins1283:
    It could be a stye or cyst.  DS1 had one on his bottom eyelid when he was 15 months.  His did not ever come to a head but instead grew larger towards the inside of his eyelid and eventually turned into a granuloma which is just a mass of tissue.  We had to see an eye doctor about it because it was quite large and could have caused damage to his eye if left untreated.  We used steroid eye drops on it for a few weeks and that took care of it.  Just keep an eye on it and if it doesn't seem to be getting better take him to the pedi to get it checked out.  From the outside, DS1's just looked like a little redness on his lower lid, no bump or anything until you pulled his eyelid down.

Thanks. I hope it doesn't turn into something like that. We'll see. I swear it's starting to look better as the day goes by but it's still there nonetheless.  

"They tell me you were born premature, my child, but this is only partially true..
    for in my heart you were right on time." 
  • image M&MHaveMyHeart:

image amykins1283:
    It could be a stye or cyst.  DS1 had one on his bottom eyelid when he was 15 months.  His did not ever come to a head but instead grew larger towards the inside of his eyelid and eventually turned into a granuloma which is just a mass of tissue.  We had to see an eye doctor about it because it was quite large and could have caused damage to his eye if left untreated.  We used steroid eye drops on it for a few weeks and that took care of it.  Just keep an eye on it and if it doesn't seem to be getting better take him to the pedi to get it checked out.  From the outside, DS1's just looked like a little redness on his lower lid, no bump or anything until you pulled his eyelid down.

Thanks. I hope it doesn't turn into something like that. We'll see. I swear it's starting to look better as the day goes by but it's still there nonetheless.  

It probably won't but I just wanted to mention it because DS1's looked like hardly anything but turned out to be something significant.  I just took him because it wasn't getting any better but wasn't getting worse, either.   

image image