July 2013 Moms

Sleeping arrangements

Hi guys, long time no see!  I hope everyone is doing well.  I'm doing ok but we are having a hard time at night with Leah.  After she eats we burp her, but she has thrown up her feelings whenever we put her on her back.  The pedi says to wait 20 to 25 mins after feeding and then lay her down, but we are both so scared of her throwing up again.  I'm doing the best I can with burping but she gets so many air bubbles, I never feel confident that they are all gone.  The only way we have been sleeping lately is she lays on my chest in the recliner and I close my eyes and hold her.  But, I know this isn't ideal and makes DH nervous.  I just don't know what to do.  I wanted to try putting her to sleep in her bouncer but DH refused because he says its not intended for babies to sleep in them,  

Any thoughts or similar experiences?  I hate living in fear like this but I just can't bear the thought of anything happening to her.   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
TTC #1 Since April 2011
BFP #1: 5/12/11, EDD 1/13/12, missed M/C confirmed 6/15/11. We miss you Elijah.

LAP/hysteroscopy 8/28/12 to remove uterine septum and stage 3 endo
10/2/12 Medicated Cycle #1: Femara + Ovidrel + TI = BFP!!!
BFP#2: 10/25/12, EDD 7/9/13, Born 7/18/13! It's a girl!
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. -Romans 8:28
Patiently waiting for my buddy jenn0021 to join me on PGAL
My blog

Re: Sleeping arrangements

• In our hospital, they would take the plastic bed they were in and make it lay at a slant instead of just flat. Maybe you could buy a wedge for the top of her bed to put her upper body upward? I'm doing the same thing with DS. I didn't think a EBF baby could spit up so much. We haven't gotten a wedge yet so, until then, I sleep in the recliner while holding him.
  • image Bkuhman:
    In our hospital, they would take the plastic bed they were in and make it lay at a slant instead of just flat. Maybe you could buy a wedge for the top of her bed to put her upper body upward? I'm doing the same thing with DS. I didn't think a EBF baby could spit up so much. We haven't gotten a wedge yet so, until then, I sleep in the recliner while holding him.

They did the same thing at our hospital.  Thanks for the wedge idea, I will have to look into that!  We are using the Arms reach cosleeper so maybe I could even improvise with some rolled up blankets under the mattress at one end.

TTC #1 Since April 2011

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. -Romans 8:28
    My blog
  • I know a few people who had their babies sleep in a bouncer or a swing for the first month or two. We use a rnp and I turn her head to the side a little. She hasn't spit up much in her sleep yet but she hasn't really slept flat on her back yet either. 
    J13 September Siggy Challenge: Apples                A15 September Siggy Challenge: Mom stereotypes.
                                                                           Baby wipes can clean anything

image           image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah. Try that and see how it works. We are using a wooden cradle. I am thinking about rolling a towel under the head part of his mattress.
  • She29She29
    10 Comments
    You can roll two receiving blankets the long way put one behind her for a slight sideways tilt and one in front to prevent her from rolling on her stomach I did this with my last three it worked out just fine. I hope you find a solution that works :-)
  • The rock n play has been an absolute lifesaver for us. We had the co sleeper but LO absolutely refused to be flat on her back. This resulted in me sleeping most nights in the glider with her on my chest. As you said, not ideal. However, she loves the RNP and it keeps her at an incline and sort of snuggled and secure. Good luck!

• I'm also spending most nights sleeping with LO on my chest, but it's because that's the only place she will sleep.

Tell your H this is survival time, and many babies sleep in swings or bouncers at first.

Hope you get some rest soon!

Laparoscopic cyst removal and LEEP 09/2009

BFP 10/31/2012 - Emily arrived 07/02/2013!

• I know a lot of people use the rock n play sleeper thing. I've heard many moms think it really helps babies with reflux. But again, it's like the bouncer in that I don't believe it's intended for long time sleep use. However I let my first son nap in his swing all the time. It's just where he was comfortable, which ultimately made him a happier baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Our baby spits up so much too! I haven't asked the pedi about it yet but it's literally after every meal. Hasn't seemed to affect his diaper count though. Anyway, we roll up two receiving blankets and actually position him so he's more on his side. I don't think they're really supposed to be on their side, but he HATES being flat on his back. Like pp said, this is survival time! You gotta do what works.
  • flkongflkong
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper

image Alicia0817:
    I'm also spending most nights sleeping with LO on my chest, but it's because that's the only place she will sleep. Tell your H this is survival time, and many babies sleep in swings or bouncers at first. Hope you get some rest soon!

This, tell your H it's temporary until LO stops vomiting. Also, have her evaluated for refux. 

• At the very least when she's sleeping on your chest you can put her in a carrier or wrap. I've let LO sleep in her moby wrap a few times and that way she won't roll off or get hurt if I fall asleep.
  • Thank you all so much for the comments and ideas.  I'm glad I'm not alone in this problem.  I think I will show DH this thread and see if we can agree on something...this not sleeping thing is NOT working for mama!

TTC #1 Since April 2011

My blog
  • image Alicia0817:
    I'm also spending most nights sleeping with LO on my chest, but it's because that's the only place she will sleep.

Tell your H this is survival time, and many babies sleep in swings or bouncers at first.

Hope you get some rest soon!

This! All though DS is only two days old. He spits up a lot on his back too. Hoping once we get home he'll sleep okay in the rnp.

Hang in there!
  • KTZ17KTZ17
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Are you BFing or bottle feeding?  If you're bottle feeding, have you tried different bottles?  I like Dr. Brown's because they can't get air bubbles.  I also read somewhere to put a pillow under the crib mattress to elevate it a bit.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Rock and play. Seriously, it will change your life. Ds1 had severe reflux, and this time around we have four rnps. They are the best. 
    Mom to Jacob, Henry and Ian Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was having the same problem with Audrey. I started burping 3 to 4 times during feelings and I started using the Dr. Brown bottles. Those have been a life saver and they have really seemed to help with the spit up. She still does it, but not nearly as much. Maybe try those 2 things. Also, if u can't get her to burp I lay her flat for about 15 to 29 seconds and then try again and that seems to help. Hope you get some relief! GL!

Edit: mobile bumping

Image and video hosting by TinyPic  Image and video hosting by TinyPic                     

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Also, we use the rock n play and that thing us a life saver! Like pp said this, we are in survival mode. You need to do what works!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic  Image and video hosting by TinyPic                     

• image Mrs JillB:
    Rock and play. Seriously, it will change your life. Ds1 had severe reflux, and this time around we have four rnps. They are the best.nbsp;

This. My LO has stopped spitting up as often but the rock n play gave me peace of mind. I use it mostly at night and let her sleep on my chest a lot through the day.
  • Like others have suggested, try rolling up a receiving blanket or thinner towel so her head is elevated.  We did this w/ our PNP and bassinet and saw results right away.  And I completely understand your fear.  DS was puking out his nose last week and it had me terrified (till I finally called the ped's nurse line in tears only to find out that it's totally normal). 

I would say if this continues, she may need medication.  We ended up having to do that with DS per the pediatrician's suggestion.  We didn't want to see him on meds so early, but we got over that after we saw how much better he did with it.

BFP #1 3.23.12 ~ EDD 11.29.12 ~ M/C 5.20.12 ~ D&E 5.21.12 
        BFP #2 10.21.12 ~ EDD 7.4.13 ~ DS born 6.14.13 via c/s dx IUGR
    TFAS since June 2014  

PAL September Siggy Challenge: Funny Men
    Bill Hader (as Stefon on SNL): "Located in a haunted synagogue, this Upper-Lower-Side hot spot is the creation of Italian reggae singer Rasta Primavera."

• The bouncer would be fine. Or a RNP. These early weeks are about survival and she'll be fine. Bsbies aren't meant to sleep on our chests every night either. It's possible she has reflux as well. If she doesn't grow out of it soon I would ask about that.

• I propped up my son. I put a folded receiving blanket under the padding of the bassinet. When he was a bit older, I positioned him on his side with either a rolled blanket or neck pillow thing.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Yeah I mean we're going with what works right now too.  The RNP didn't work for us because Mike needs to be swaddled tight in order to sleep and with him belted in that wasn't an option and the belting is necessary because I'm nervous about the cats.....

What works right now is him falling asleep on me and usually involves me dozing for 1-2 hours.  Sometimes I can get him down in his crib, sometimes not.

It is what it is at this point I figure.

2u2 Here we come - Pants' Sidekick Due 20 March 2015!

• Another BIG vote for the RNP. LO is a spitter, and vomited several times in the first few days when we laid her flat, and she's been sleeping perfectly in the RNP every night since with no throwing up. The incline is great and it makes them feel snugly and secure. I would feel more comfortable with her sleeping in there than the bouncer, because it is intended for naps at least.
    Celebrating 2 beautiful girlies under 2!!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Just bought the RNP today. I didn't think I would need one, they weren't even around when I had older kids. Liam is not a spitter but I noticed he slept like a champ in car seat. The RNP has stretched my sleep to almost 4 hour increments from 2.

• Another vote for the RNP! I can't imagine not having it.
    Anniversary

• DS was not a back sleeper and still isn't. He slept on my chest for the first 6 weeks and then on his stomach because his reflux was terrible. We tried other things first all to no avail.
    This one has mild reflux like most babies, but hates being flat on her back. She sleeps in the RnP or on my chest. When she transitions to the crib I'll figure out what to do then.
    Many, many babies sleep in bouncy seats and swings, sometimes for months. Your H needs to chill and do what you need to so everyone can maximize sleep.

• image Mrs JillB:
    Rock and play. Seriously, it will change your life. Ds1 had severe reflux, and this time around we have four rnps. They are the best. 

I agree.  The RNP is a life saver.  I have trouble burping my LO and that sometimes leads to a crying or spit up episode but the incline in the RNP makes her a lot more comfortable.  GL! 

• je2161je2161
    Sixth Anniversary 250 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Love Its
    We've been rotating between the rock n play, the swing, bouncer seat and the Moses basket. We like to elevate her head after meals because she also tends to spit up. DH will hold her upright for 20 minutes after MOTN feedings and then put her down in one of the many places for her to sleep. It is all about survival right now.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Yep, my girl won't sleep laying down flat either. The rnp is amazing!! she'll sleep up to four hours in it, and about four seconds if I put her down flat.

baby #1 boy 11.1.02 baby #2 boy 2.25.04 baby #3 girl 6.28.13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker my blog
  • Another fan of the the RnP here. Hudson doesn't like sleeping flat on his back all too much and I think the space of his PnP and crib is too big for him. The snugness and incline of the RnP are just right.

BabyFruit Ticker