September 2012 Moms

Hi!

Thought that I would re-intro since I have a new screen name. I used to be crystaltastic,  but didn't post very often on this board. I disappeared for a little bit for work stuff, forgot my email for that user name, so just made a new one instead of trying to figure it out (lazy ftw!) 

I'm a WAHM, but looking to go back to work full-time away from home soon. My biggest gripe right now is daycare stuff. The daycare that I am in love with is $2,000/month, whereas one of the other well rated daycares is only $1,500/month. Would you be willing to pay that much more for an awesome daycare?

Re: Hi!

• Hey! I know you!  you also post over on the CD board, right?

I absolutely would pay that much for a daycare if it was good.  I drive 45 minutes to my daycare and I pass about 30 others on the way because I love it that much.  Childcare is probably the most important expense to me. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejonesaj:
    Wow! That's a lot of money (in my area at least).  What makes it awesome? I might be willing if there was a big difference in the level of care.

The awesome one has a lot of really cool programs, including language immersion, where one of the rotating teachers only uses a different language with all the kids (Spanish at one location and Mandarin Chinese at another location). They also have really good curriculum. One of the other main things about the awesome one is that ALL of their staff has been there 10+ years. The teachers at most of the others we have visited seem to be around 18-22. I like that they are obviously devoted to childcare as a long-term career and they have lots of experience.

• Loading the player...
  • imageMrsAB1316:
    Hey! I know you!  you also post over on the CD board, right?

Yep, I spend a lot of time over there :)

• imagejonesaj:
    imagefireflygirl12:

imagejonesaj:
    Wow! That's a lot of money (in my area at least).  What makes it awesome? I might be willing if there was a big difference in the level of care.

The awesome one has a lot of really cool programs, including language immersion, where one of the rotating teachers only uses a different language with all the kids (Spanish at one location and Mandarin Chinese at another location). They also have really good curriculum. One of the other main things about the awesome one is that ALL of their staff has been there 10+ years. The teachers at most of the others we have visited seem to be around 18-22. I like that they are obviously devoted to childcare as a long-term career and they have lots of experience.

Oh that does sound awesome! If I could afford it I might. Big might.  

Unfortunately, I toured the most expensive daycare first and now none of the others stack up. Big mistake.

• For me a big part would depend on how the rate changes once the child moves up to the next room. If the price dropped considerably for the toddler age group I would probably be willing to pay more for teachers who would be there long term.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageAKB090609:
    For me a big part would depend on how the rate changes once the child moves up to the next room. If the price dropped considerably for the toddler age group I would probably be willing to pay more for teachers who would be there long term.

That's a problem too. The price does drop at the cheaper daycare when they turn 1, but it doesn't drop at the other daycare until they turn 2. And even then, it doesn't go down significantly.

• BPerBPer member

That's a lot for daycare, in my area anyway.

Our best daycare, run by my old university, is under $1000 per month and it's the most desirable daycare in the area. I put DD on the wait list the day she was born, and she can start next September.

I would say it depends on whether or not it would be a wash with your monthly income to pay for daycare.

• Welcome back! If I could afford it, I might. However, I think loving teachers and a good curriculum can make for a positive daycare experience. Language immersion, while nice, isn't critical, KWIM?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We are in a pretty high COL area, and the cheapest daycare around is $1200 a month. 

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"