April 2013 Moms

Swaddle Poll

Who is still swaddling?
STMs how long did you swaddle?

I keep trying to wean DS and he keeps showing me that he still needs it! I feel like I'm going to be swaddling a toddler!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Swaddle Poll

• We stopped swaddeling last week. He turned 3 months old today.

DS1 ~ 2009 DS2 ~ 2011 DS3 ~ 2013 Expecting DS4 ~ 10.1.14

mom to a strong little boy with a rare disease - congenital cricopharyngeal achalasia

• I stopped when DS started rolling over which was about a week & half ago at 14 weeks old. That's when his sleep got all jacked up, no bueno.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Still swaddling in the swaddle me's with arms out. He isn't rolling over yet so I haven't stopped. If I don't use it, he flails around and doesn't settle down. I read that once they roll, you should stop, and somewhere around 34 months when they start moving and wiggling around during sleep, which is how they develop gross motor skills. And swaddling would restrict that.
  • We are still swaddling. We swaddled DS till at least 5 mos. He was still sleeping in our room in a pack n play at that point. We weaned him from the swaddle and moved him to the crib all in one shot.

ETA: remove a random period.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DD is in a Halo sleep sack swaddle with arms out since she started rolling last week. She doesn't sttn anymore now. Grr.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • elbouelbou
    250 Answers 500 Love Its 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary

Is this just for moms who actually swaddled? If so, ignore this....

I never really swaddled at all after leaving the hospital...maybe 1 or 2 times to try to calm him down, but that's it.

I do want to add that YS will get it eventually and you definitely won't be swaddling a toddler! :D

• We haven't since about two months. LO never had a really bad startle reflex. She started sucking her fingers for comfort and hated being swaddled.
  • LO will be 4 months on 7/29 and tonight we have him in just a wearable blanket, sleeveless, so no swaddle... please dear God let him stay asleep... the swaddle sacks just became pointless because he was getting his arms out within 10 minutes.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • We stopped at about 4 wks because no matter what brand/method of swaddle we did he was working his arms out and waking up with bunches of fabric in his face (which he loves but gives mum a heart attack).  He has sttn since 6 wks so it doesnt seem to have affected him.
    imageimageimage
  • Am I the only one using swaddle me with arms out?? Haha he has always hated his arms swaddled but likes his legs swaddled. Seems to work for us so I'm sticking with it lol anyone else use it that way though?
  • image cece2682:
    Am I the only one using swaddle me with arms out?? Haha he has always hated his arms swaddled but likes his legs swaddled. Seems to work for us so I'm sticking with it lol anyone else use it that way though?

His arms are in. But I've tried arms out as part of the weaning, and he was not having it!!
  • I stopped with DD3 a couple weeks ago, so maybe at 3.5 months. She was working her way out of the swaddle, so I started doing just one arm and then none.

DD1 and DD2 were never swaddled out of the hospital. It was just too hot and they hated it.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • We still swaddle, but I'll probably stop around 4 months

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• sms04jsms04j
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    LO is 13 weeks old and we still swaddle. I will probable stop when he starts rolling. He relies heavily on the swaddle, so I am not looking forward to not swaddling!

• We stopped swaddling about two weeks ago gradually. She has never liked her arms swaddled but we had to swaddle at least one or else we would have never gotten any sleep! So about two weeks ago I swaddled with both out and she did fine, only woke herself up a few times but went right back to sleep. After about a week i tried with no swaddled just a long nightgown and she slept fine so that's what we went with and so far so good!
  • Swaddler here. We use the woombie right now
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • KLL22KLL22
    100 Comments 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    I tried last week at 13 weeks to stop swaddling and it was a nightmare!! So, I gave in and again am swaddling. I think I'll try again in a few weeks when I transition to the crib because I won't be getting any sleep anyway! 

• image KLL22:
    I tried last week at 13 weeks to stop swaddling and it was a nightmare!! So, I gave in and again am swaddling. I think I'll try again in a few weeks when I transition to the crib because I won't be getting any sleep anyway!nbsp;

You don't need to stop swaddling but once they can roll from back to tummy, then it's time to stop. If he needs it to sleep, then just keep doing it
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • He's still in the woombie and I think he will be for awhile.
    Mommy to seven-year-old twins who are the joys of my life, and three sweet little ones in Heaven, including Miss Lily Grace who was lost at 20 weeks due to a cord accident.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I wrap swaddle in Aden + Anais wraps (not the zipped thing). I also still use the hospital blankets (that I freaking love), to wrap him in a swaddle. I used to use a swaddleme, but it looked like a straight jacket and he could move his legs too much.

I wrap him very tight.

When he starts rolling, I will cold turkey it. 

• Same here! LO will be 3 months on Wednesday
  • I swaddled DS til he was 4 months. He was a stomach sleeper as soon as I stopped swaddling. DD is 3 mths and I use a woombie now. I swaddled before but woombie works better for her. She can get her clothed hands to her mouth now but doesn't have a free range of motion to flail her arms around.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • James was swaddled until 3-4 months.  Anna was swaddled for a few weeks--she was sleeping fine with it but her swaddleme's were getting snug so I thought I would try without it before I bought more.  She slept great and wouldn't tolerate it ever since.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • STM here...DS is 3 1/2 months and we still swaddle; gotta start working on that soon because he has rolled from his belly to his back, but no where near rolling from his back to his belly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Trin42Trin42
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers

This past weekend we stopped.  He used to STTN up to 11 hours but not since I went back to work July 1st.  He went down to waking up 1-2 x.  Now he wakes up one extra time so 2-3x night.

I know he'd sleep longer with it but i don't want him to depend on it either. I'm torn about putting it back on.

Pregnancy Ticker

• We swaddle with a sleep sack for nights only. He isn't rolling over yet.

• We never really swaddled our 3 mo DD. Maybe a handful of times.
    imageimage

smrtalec33
  • DS has never liked being swaddled with his arms in. I used A&A blankets until he got so long they unwrapped when he kicked. About a month ago, I switched to the Halo Swaddlesacks and I love them. He can kick and kick and it never comes unswaddled.

Collage

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• I still "loosely" swaddle. J has never had his arms swaddled anyway so it's really more like I'm "tucking him in" than swaddling.
    Infinite love to my Bump IRL Besties JessuhMarie & GermanGirl2007
    Started TTC #1 - 10/11 ~ BFP #1 - 8/15/12 ~ J born via c-section - 4/18/13
    imageI was #1 on the leader board for a few hours on 9/15/14image
    smrtalec33
  • We are a little over 15wks here and have just been wrapping him up under his arms for a few weeks now. He hasn't rolled over yet, so we haven't completely abandoned the blanket.