Trouble TTC

Genetic Testing

Hey ladies - first of all, to the IVF'ers, I am SO sorry that I didn't post the IVF check in today! I am traveling for work and won't be able to post it until I get back on Wednesday. Hope you all don't mind waiting a couple extra days.

 

In other news.....I got a call from my Dr. today re: my genetic testing results. I was shocked to find out that I am a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis. Sad  I didn't even talk to the Dr. because I was on a flight OOT for work, so I just listened to the message. He said that the lab that completed the genetic testing noted a 1 in 110 "reproductive risk." I don't know what this means. I know that we have to get DH tested and I shouldn't stress before that happens, but I can't help but worry a bit.   I have heard that there is only like a 1 in 628 chance of both partners being carriers, so those are pretty low odds, but still, I am in shock. Is anyone else here a carrier?


** After  2 1/2 years of Unexplained IF, 2 failed medicated cycles, and 4 failed IUI's - our baby girl is coming to us through the miracle of
 Mini IVF! **

   BabyFruit Ticker
image

Re: Genetic Testing

  • I'm so sorry GG.  I can't remember if it was someone here or on TTCAL that learned that but then had her husband tested and he was in the clear.  I hope that your husband isn't a carrier and you don't have to worry.  But I agree that those odds seem really low.  

    As for the IVF check in, since it's so new - I couldn't remember what day it was.  Have a safe work trip and we'll all check in when you get back. 


    TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

    My Blog

    imageimage image
    TTCAL April Siggy Challenge:  Peeps (and my love of Silence of the Lambs)
     
    image
  • I am a carrier too. I was also in shock. I had no clue!!! Luckily DH isn't, but that was a long wait to find out! I ended up letting my brother know so that he could get tested or his wife get tested. I hope your DH isn't a carrier either!! GL! T&P with you!!
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    3TC March Siggy Challenge: Funny Internet Meme Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Age: Me 26, DH 27, Married Oct. 10, 2009 ,TTC since March 2012
    Problem: Irregular menstruation, unexplained
    Nov&Dec-Provera because of no period after 35+ days
    First RE appt 1/10/2013
    Tests: TSH (normal), Prolactin (normal), SA (abnormal)
    Hysteroscopy (normal) and PCOS labs (negative/normal) 1/15/2013
    2/1/13- HPT BFP but Beta Hcg was negative
    Plan: Femara + Trigger + IUI in April if no real BFP before then Bloggy Blog!
  • image Say1009:
    I am a carrier too. I was also in shock. I had no clue!!! Luckily DH isn't, but that was a long wait to find out! I ended up letting my brother know so that he could get tested or his wife get tested. I hope your DH isn't a carrier either!! GL! T&P with you!!

    Yes! I remember this now, but for some reason I though it was Fragile X - I don't know where I got that from. Hopefully DH can get in soon to get tested. I can imagine the wait to find out will feel like forever. I also let my sisters know - both of my biological sisters are currently pregnant. Hopefully this is really nothing to worry about. The only thing that is stressing me out is that I have a feeling that my IVF might be delayed until his results are in. Sad I guess I'll know more once I actually talk with my Dr's.  Thanks for the T & P's, ladies! 


    ** After  2 1/2 years of Unexplained IF, 2 failed medicated cycles, and 4 failed IUI's - our baby girl is coming to us through the miracle of
     Mini IVF! **

       BabyFruit Ticker
    image
  • Sorry GG - I bet that was pretty shocking news. FX that your hubby is not a carrier. Glad the odds are in your favor there. GL!


    Diary of a Little Chicken (My Blog about IF, Pregnancy & Loss)

    TTC our first take-home baby since June 2012 with Anovulation and PCOS

    Rx: Metformin, 1500mg || Tx:  No response to ovulation-inducing meds
    Nov 2013: IVF#1 = very first BFP! EDD: 8/15/14
    Mar 2014: Learned our precious baby would not make it due to
    severe physical and mental deformities from Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus

    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I hope you get some answers soon and it doesn't delay your IVF treatment. Keep us posted!

    imageimageimageimage


    Married 10/10/09. Me: 34 DH: 37. Started TTC 02/2012.  Diagnosed with unexplained infertility 5/20/13. 
    Cycle #1 - #15: TTC naturally.
    Cycle #5: BFP. Ended in m/c at 7weeks 5 days.
    Cycle #6-#7: TTA because of believed molar pregnancy. Genetic testing revealed no molar.
    Cycle #8 - #15: TTC naturally.Diagnosed with unexplained infertility during cycle #15.
    Cycle #16: 06/3/13: TI #1 with Clomid (50 mg) + FSH + Trigger. BFN
    Cycle #17: 6/28/13: TI #2 Clomid (50 mg) + FSH + Trigger. BFP 7/24/13!! Beta #1 633 on 7/29/13. Beta #2 1114 on 7/31/13 - not double but nurse said looks good.
  • I am a carrier of CF and was shocked as well.  DH was tested and thankfully he is not a carrier.  For a Caucasian with no family history the odds of being a carrier is about 3% (other ethnicities have even lower odds).  So there is a good chance that your DH is not a carrier, I found these stats helpful during the wait for his test to come back.

    The risk only comes up if both parents are carriers.   Because CF is a recessive mutation, a child must receive the CF gene from both parents to have the disease.  If both parents are carriers, they have a 25% chance of having a child with CF (they have a 50% chance of having a child that is a carrier and a 25% chance of having a non carrier child).  If only one parent is a carrier, they cannot have a child with CF, but have a 50% chance of having a child that is a carrier.  This is important to know because when your children grow up they will probably want to be tested to see if they are a carrier.

    let me know if you ave any more questions.  I did way too much research while waiting for DH's results to come back. :) 

    imageimageimage

    imageimage

     

    imageimageimage

    image

    TTC #1 since August 2011

    My Blog

    September 2012: Start IF testing

    DH (31): SA is ok, slightly low morph  Me (31): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, and border line high NK cells

    October 2012: Clomid + IUI w/ OB/GYN = BFN

    November 2012 - March 2013: Break while finding the right RE and more testing

    April 2013: Unmedicated IUI #2 due to hostile CM = BFN

    May 2013: Clomid + Trigger + IUI #3 = BFN

    June 2013: Clomid + Trigger + IUI #4 = BFN

    August 2013: IVF w/ICSI #1 6R 5M 3F All 3 embryos are slow growing and poor quality.  All 3 arrest before transfer

    October 2013: IVF w/ICSI #2 8R 7M 5F Transferred 1 beautiful early blast.  Nothing to freeze.  BFP! Beta #1 14.6  Beta #2  3  Chemical Pregnancy

    January 2014: IVFw/ICSI #3  8R 8M 8F Transferred 1 grade 1 expanded blast and 1 grade 2 early blast.  Nothing to Freeze.  BFN

    February-March 2014: Getting Second Opinions from RMA NJ

    March 2014: Start Embryo Adoption/Donation with FIRM.  We've selected our donor and have 9 snowflakes!

    Transfer planned for Early May 2014


    PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

  • We haven't had genetic testing done and I don't have any advice for you. I just wanted to say I'm sorry that the results have left you in shock and wondering what it all means.

    Keep us posted on what you find out from your RE. *big hugs* 

    ** siggy/ticker warning **

    Me: 26  DH: 30 :: TCC #1 since 01.2012
    **unexplained infertility**
    04.2013 b/w & HSG normal - DH SA 98% motile 31mill
    05.2013 IUI cycle #1 - Clomid - follies 27,22,21,12- 31mil post wash 98% motile - BFN
    06.2013 IUI cycle #2 - Clomid - follies 32,22,18,18,14 - 22mil post wash 99% motile - BFN
    07.2013 IUI cycle #3 -  Clomid - follies 29, 20, 15 - 43mil post wash 98% motile -
    BFN
    08.2013 09.2013 IVF cycle #1 - Lupron + Menopur + Follistim - 7R 6F - 5dt (2) 4AA blasts - BFP on HPT 4dp5dT

    10dp5dt - Beta #1 = 249
    12dp5dt -
    Beta #2 = 475
    19dp5dt - Beta #3 = 4,608
            7w - 127bpm
            8w - 166bpm
          10w - 158bpm

    photo dd37d8d2-a369-4e95-b9e7-cc97234ea77f_zpsc6a84983.jpg image
          
    image        image

                        
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

  • image Twinkie0612:

    I am a carrier of CF and was shocked as well.  DH was tested and thankfully he is not a carrier.  For a Caucasian with no family history the odds of being a carrier is about 3% (other ethnicities have even lower odds).  So there is a good chance that your DH is not a carrier, I found these stats helpful during the wait for his test to come back.

    The risk only comes up if both parents are carriers.   Because CF is a recessive mutation, a child must receive the CF gene from both parents to have the disease.  If both parents are carriers, they have a 25% chance of having a child with CF (they have a 50% chance of having a child that is a carrier and a 25% chance of having a non carrier child).  If only one parent is a carrier, they cannot have a child with CF, but have a 50% chance of having a child that is a carrier.  This is important to know because when your children grow up they will probably want to be tested to see if they are a carrier.

    let me know if you ave any more questions.  I did way too much research while waiting for DH's results to come back. :) 

    This is hugely helpful. Thanks so much. I will definitely let you know if I have any questions - I have a feeling I will as I wait for his results to come back.

    Thanks again everyone for the encouragement. :) 


    ** After  2 1/2 years of Unexplained IF, 2 failed medicated cycles, and 4 failed IUI's - our baby girl is coming to us through the miracle of
     Mini IVF! **

       BabyFruit Ticker
    image
  • I'm sorry GG. I'm sending lots of positive thoughts your way that YH is not a carrier.
    photo 124a2277-01eb-4d85-b15a-9ebc93b4492d_zps60ec49e8.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    photo fa452b59-b03d-4a7e-aadf-a27f9be4e3aa_zpsafc5052f.jpg
    After over 2 years, we are expecting our first baby from IVF w/ ICSI
    ER 9/13, ET 9/18 - BFP! - Baby girl due 6/6/14
    beta #1 9/27 - 63, beta #2 9/30 - 224, beta #3 10/2 - 573, beta #4 10/4 - 1314
  • I went through the same thing. When I had surgery in 2010 I am a carrier for CF. So DH got tests and I got retested both of us with the Council test and the company guarantees you will not pay more than 99 oop per person. He came back negative for CF. so our risk for CF is actually now 1 in 3,600. The normal population with both parents negative was 1 in 3,100 according to the Council test people. That test is totally worth it!!! GL!!!

    March 2013: First TTC trip to RE, On 1500 mg Metformin, April 2013:  PCOS and Endometriosis, May 2013:  DH Low volume; Femara 7.5 mg + IUI #1 = BFN, July 2013: Femara 7.5 mg + IUI #2 = BFN, August 2013:  Femara 7.5 mg (X5) + Bravelle (X7) + Ovidrel + IUI #3 + Endometrin = BFP  MC at 5w3d,
    September 2013:  Follistim (X14) + Ovidrel + IUI #4 + Endometrin =BFP!!!image Pregnancy%20tickerimage

     

     

  • image GermanGirl2007:

    image Say1009:
    I am a carrier too. I was also in shock. I had no clue!!! Luckily DH isn't, but that was a long wait to find out! I ended up letting my brother know so that he could get tested or his wife get tested. I hope your DH isn't a carrier either!! GL! T&P with you!!

    Yes! I remember this now, but for some reason I though it was Fragile X - I don't know where I got that from. Hopefully DH can get in soon to get tested. I can imagine the wait to find out will feel like forever. I also let my sisters know - both of my biological sisters are currently pregnant. Hopefully this is really nothing to worry about. The only thing that is stressing me out is that I have a feeling that my IVF might be delayed until his results are in. Sad I guess I'll know more once I actually talk with my Dr's.  Thanks for the T & P's, ladies! 

     

    Fragile X was probably me... my cousin has it, and based on lineage, there was a 25% chance that I would be a carrier (and that's one that doesn't require both parents to be a carrier to pass it on).  I did Counsyl in March (it's only $99 max if you have some kind of insurance, whether or not they cover it) and it was super quick and easy.  Luckily, I'm not a carrier for anything.

    FX your DH isn't a carrier.  I'm sorry you got thrown this loop, hopefully it all sorts itself out very quickly so you can move on with treatment.  Good luck!

    image
    imageimageimage
    National Infertility Awareness Week is April 20-26th
    Fighting a struggle that 1 in 10 couples face while trying to conceive

    Me: 28      DH:  31
    Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying since Sept 2012
    DX: Unexplained Infertility

    History:
    Cycle # 1-17: The Old Fashioned Way = BFNs
    Cycle # 18: IUI #1, Natural Cycle (Ovulated 1/30) = BFN
    Cycle # 19: TI, Femara/Follistim (33.3iu), Ovidrel, Prometrium (Ovulated 2/25) = BFN
    Cycle # 20: IUI #2, Femara/Follistim (50iu), Ovidrel, Prometrium (Ovulated 3/24) = BFN (c/p)

    Current Cycle:
    Cycle # 21: IUI #3, Follistim (75iu), Ovidrel, Prometrium
    CD 1 (4/8) - 5 days of Follistim, then back for monitoring 4/15

    Next Step:
    Break until Fall 2014, then (if necessary) IVF with CNY
    Phone consult scheduled for 5/14

    My Blog

  • I'm so sorry GG.  FX for good test results for YH and that your IVF won't be delayed.
    TTC #1 since Nov 2011
    Me(28): Left side unicornuate uterus and Lean PCOS
    DH(31): Great SA pre and post wash
    BFP #1 3/15/2012 ~ EDD 11/20/2012 ~ C/P 4 weeks 5 days   
    4 failed Clomid+TI cycles
    IVF #1: ER 3/3  10R 4M 4F
                4 frosties, CCS results show all are normal!
    FET #1: Estrogen phase, next monitoring 4/20
    ~~*Everyone Welcome*~~
    image
    Unicorn badge courtesy of the talented CLECyclist
  • I'm so sorry about the shocking news. FX that your DH isn't a carrier. Hugs to you while you wait for answers
    imageimage
    Me: 32 DH: 34 married 7.26.2008 ~ off BCP since Sept 2011, officially TTC#1 since March 2012 
    Dx: unexplained IF, arcuate uterus, minimal endometriosis, poor embryo quality, borderline morphology 
    Tx: IUI #1-3: Clomid+Ovidrel = BFN 6.3.13, 6.28.13, 7.26.13 ~ Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy: minimal endo, partial septoplasty 8.7.13 ~ IUI #4: Follistim+Cetrotide+Ovidrel+IUI #4 (canceled, overstimulation) +TI = BFN 9.12.13
    IVF #1: Antagonist Protocol ~ 10R/6M/6F (3 ICSI) ~ Day 3 ET of two 7-cell embryos ~ remaining four embryos arrested at 4-5 cell stage = BFN 10.22.13 ~ IVF #2: Estrogen Priming Antagonist with HGH ~ 14R/9M/5F ~ transfer canceled ~ all embryos arrested at 1-2 cell stage = heartbroken 12.9.13 
    IUI #4.1: Follistim+Ovidrel+IUI #4.1 = BFN 1.14.14 ~ The Vagina Tour: Consulted with 4 REs for second opinions
    IVF #3: Lupron Down Reg Protocol ~ 9R/5M/5F (with ICSI) ~ 3 embryos arrested by Day 5, 1 more by Day 6, 1 made it to blastocyst! 2.27.14 ~ CCS Testing is normal!!! We have a frostie ninja!! Hallelujah! 3.12.14
                
    FET #1: currently PUPO ~  Beta or Bust!!  4.22.14 ~ GO NINJA GO NINJA GO!!!

    All are Welcome!

    imageimage
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards