Trouble TTC

Genetic Testing

Hey ladies - first of all, to the IVF'ers, I am SO sorry that I didn't post the IVF check in today! I am traveling for work and won't be able to post it until I get back on Wednesday. Hope you all don't mind waiting a couple extra days.

In other news.....I got a call from my Dr. today re: my genetic testing results. I was shocked to find out that I am a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis. Sad  I didn't even talk to the Dr. because I was on a flight OOT for work, so I just listened to the message. He said that the lab that completed the genetic testing noted a 1 in 110 "reproductive risk." I don't know what this means. I know that we have to get DH tested and I shouldn't stress before that happens, but I can't help but worry a bit.   I have heard that there is only like a 1 in 628 chance of both partners being carriers, so those are pretty low odds, but still, I am in shock. Is anyone else here a carrier?

** After  2 1/2 years of Unexplained IF, 2 failed medicated cycles, and 4 failed IUI's - our baby girl came to us through the miracle of
 Mini IVF! **

Re: Genetic Testing

• I'm so sorry GG.  I can't remember if it was someone here or on TTCAL that learned that but then had her husband tested and he was in the clear.  I hope that your husband isn't a carrier and you don't have to worry.  But I agree that those odds seem really low.  

As for the IVF check in, since it's so new - I couldn't remember what day it was.  Have a safe work trip and we'll all check in when you get back. 

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• I am a carrier too. I was also in shock. I had no clue!!! Luckily DH isn't, but that was a long wait to find out! I ended up letting my brother know so that he could get tested or his wife get tested. I hope your DH isn't a carrier either!! GL! T&P with you!!
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    3TC March Siggy Challenge: Funny Internet Meme Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Age: Me 26, DH 27, Married Oct. 10, 2009 ,TTC since March 2012
    Problem: Irregular menstruation, unexplained
    Nov&Dec-Provera because of no period after 35+ days
    First RE appt 1/10/2013
    Tests: TSH (normal), Prolactin (normal), SA (abnormal)
    Hysteroscopy (normal) and PCOS labs (negative/normal) 1/15/2013
    2/1/13- HPT BFP but Beta Hcg was negative
    Plan: Femara + Trigger + IUI in April if no real BFP before then Bloggy Blog!
  • Loading the player...
  • imageSay1009:
    I am a carrier too. I was also in shock. I had no clue!!! Luckily DH isn't, but that was a long wait to find out! I ended up letting my brother know so that he could get tested or his wife get tested. I hope your DH isn't a carrier either!! GL! T&P with you!!

Yes! I remember this now, but for some reason I though it was Fragile X - I don't know where I got that from. Hopefully DH can get in soon to get tested. I can imagine the wait to find out will feel like forever. I also let my sisters know - both of my biological sisters are currently pregnant. Hopefully this is really nothing to worry about. The only thing that is stressing me out is that I have a feeling that my IVF might be delayed until his results are in. Sad I guess I'll know more once I actually talk with my Dr's.  Thanks for the T & P's, ladies! 

** After  2 1/2 years of Unexplained IF, 2 failed medicated cycles, and 4 failed IUI's - our baby girl came to us through the miracle of
     Mini IVF! **

• I hope you get some answers soon and it doesn't delay your IVF treatment. Keep us posted!

• I am a carrier of CF and was shocked as well.  DH was tested and thankfully he is not a carrier.  For a Caucasian with no family history the odds of being a carrier is about 3% (other ethnicities have even lower odds).  So there is a good chance that your DH is not a carrier, I found these stats helpful during the wait for his test to come back.

The risk only comes up if both parents are carriers.   Because CF is a recessive mutation, a child must receive the CF gene from both parents to have the disease.  If both parents are carriers, they have a 25% chance of having a child with CF (they have a 50% chance of having a child that is a carrier and a 25% chance of having a non carrier child).  If only one parent is a carrier, they cannot have a child with CF, but have a 50% chance of having a child that is a carrier.  This is important to know because when your children grow up they will probably want to be tested to see if they are a carrier.

let me know if you ave any more questions.  I did way too much research while waiting for DH's results to come back. :) 

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• imageTwinkie0612:

I am a carrier of CF and was shocked as well.  DH was tested and thankfully he is not a carrier.  For a Caucasian with no family history the odds of being a carrier is about 3% (other ethnicities have even lower odds).  So there is a good chance that your DH is not a carrier, I found these stats helpful during the wait for his test to come back.

The risk only comes up if both parents are carriers.   Because CF is a recessive mutation, a child must receive the CF gene from both parents to have the disease.  If both parents are carriers, they have a 25% chance of having a child with CF (they have a 50% chance of having a child that is a carrier and a 25% chance of having a non carrier child).  If only one parent is a carrier, they cannot have a child with CF, but have a 50% chance of having a child that is a carrier.  This is important to know because when your children grow up they will probably want to be tested to see if they are a carrier.

let me know if you ave any more questions.  I did way too much research while waiting for DH's results to come back. :) 

This is hugely helpful. Thanks so much. I will definitely let you know if I have any questions - I have a feeling I will as I wait for his results to come back.

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement. :) 

Mini IVF! **

• I went through the same thing. When I had surgery in 2010 I am a carrier for CF. So DH got tests and I got retested both of us with the Council test and the company guarantees you will not pay more than 99 oop per person. He came back negative for CF. so our risk for CF is actually now 1 in 3,600. The normal population with both parents negative was 1 in 3,100 according to the Council test people. That test is totally worth it!!! GL!!!

March 2013: First TTC trip to RE, On 1500 mg Metformin, April 2013:  PCOS and Endometriosis, May 2013:  DH Low volume; Femara 7.5 mg + IUI #1 = BFN, July 2013: Femara 7.5 mg + IUI #2 = BFN, August 2013:  Femara 7.5 mg (X5) + Bravelle (X7) + Ovidrel + IUI #3 + Endometrin = BFP  MC at 5w3d,
    October 2013:  Follistim (X14) + Ovidrel + IUI #4 + Endometrin =BFP!!! 

• I'm so sorry about the shocking news. FX that your DH isn't a carrier. Hugs to you while you wait for answers
    **SIGGY WARNING**

Me: 32 DH: 35  TTC#1 since March 2012
    Dx: Poor Embryo Quality, Arcuate Uterus, Poor Uterine Blood Flow, Mild Endo, 
           Protein S Deficiency, Sjorgen's Syndrome 

IUI #1-5: BFN
    Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy: minimal endo, partial septoplasty
    IVF #1: 10R/6M/6F ~ Day 3 ET = BFN
    IVF #2: 14R/9M/5F ~ transfer canceled ~ all embryos arrested at 1-2 cell stage
    IVF #3: 9R/5M/5F ~ 1 frosty!
    IVF #4 (FET #1): BFN

IVF #5 (DE IVF #1 with Dr. KK protocol): Currently PREGNANT!!!!!!
    Synthroid + Prednisone + Metformin + Baby Aspirin + Supplements Galore = 15+ pills a day
    Lupron + Lovenox + Delestrogen + IVIG + B/W = 2-5 pokes a day
    19R, 17M, 17F - transferred two Grade A blasts 11/16, four frosties!!!
    Beta #1 11/24 (13dpo/8dp5dt) = 367 ~ Beta #2 11/26 (15dpo/10dp5dt) = 709
    Beta #3 11/29 (18dpo/13dp5dt) = 1,997 ~ Beta #4 12/1 (20dpo/15dp5dt) = 3,403

imageimageimage

My Blog: Running and Dreaming for Two ~ All are Welcome!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"