February 2013 Moms

vacation without baby

Opinions please, especially STMs or parents who have traveled without LOs.

DH and I are considering taking a 9 day long cruise vacation in January, without DD.  DD would stay with either my parents or DH's parents.  DD will be 10.5 months old at that time.  Is this crazy?  Will we miss her too much?  Will she miss us too much?  Since we'll be on a cruise, we would be unreachable except for in case of a true emergency. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: vacation without baby

• Hey, if you can swing it, go for it!  I thought we had made a big score b/c we are going away for one night thi a weekend and 2 nights in September without DD. 

I may be a big ol B sometimes… but...
  • At that age I personally couldn't do it and I don't know if DD could do it either. You have to do what works for you and your DH though. Everyone is different.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • Personally, I don't think I could leave her for 9 days. I have a hard time being away from her for a few hours at work. And I'm not a STM, but I do have a lot of friends with slightly older LO's, and 10.5 months seems right around the age that they start to get really attached to their parents.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 :)
    BFP #2 on 1/3/14, EDD 9/13/14

• image kleigh926:
    10.5 months seems right around the age that they start to get really attached to their parents.

This is what I was afraid of.  And I miss her all day at work, too.  Ugh.  I don't think I can do it.

• I don't think I could do it. I can't even stand the thought of a whole day away from LO! 
  • BBS!BBS!
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Love Its
    I think it's a great idea. In the long run the baby will never remember the trip but when he/she is older your relationship with your spouse will be a huge factor on your child's development. Marriage, in my opinion, should come first bc it greatly impacts our children. It's hard to put a marriage on hold for years and to expect it to be where you left it when the child is older. Enjoy you'll miss baby greatly but trust they'll be ok!
  • Go, go, go!  But this is coming from a STM who had a hard time being away from her DD for a weekend :)  For something like that though, I would be much more inclined to go.  Also, both of my kids are waking up at night right now, so a vacation away seems pretty wonderful right now.
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have been away from our kids for 5 days at most and that seems like a while, but boy were we refreshed when we came home. But It's so important to carve out time for your marriage without the kids!! I would say ideally a 5 to 7 day cruise but if not I would still go on the 9.
  • I'm not a STM but IMHO, I think 9 days is a long time to be away from a 10.5 month old for you, DD, and whomever is caring for her. Also, I wouldn't be comfortable with the idea of being completely out of touch for so long. 9 days is a long time if there's a problem. 
  • ebp913ebp913
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Love Its Third Anniversary
    I am all over adult time sans babies but 9 days seems like a lot to even me.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now heading to 3 under 3
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green again with #3!
  • I could never do it. I would miss her too much. At this point in my life I want my babygirl with me and I get the most joy when she is with DH and I.
    Jenny DiLo