Stay at Home Moms

Pork chop question

I am not a pork chop fan but make them for my boys because they love them, I normally just fry them in a little bit of butter. But... they never get all golden and crispy. What am I doing wrong? 

Or is there a better way to be cooking them? (They don't like them breaded) 

Forever blessed through adoption! 7-17-11

Re: Pork chop question

• GastroGastro
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments Third Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You need a screaming hot pan to sear them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like to bake them. They don't get the golden crispiness but they are very yummy!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Yeah you have to sear them in a really hot pan as PP mentioned. 

I usually grill mine or bake them. If I'm feeling fancy I filet them and stuff them with cornbread stuffing. Delicious! 

• I do two things with them.  First, in the winter, I cook them in a baking dish with a gob of stuffing on top and sitting in a pan of cream of mushroom soup.  In the summer, we grill them, marinated in ranch dressing mixed with a bit of chili powder.  That is actually what we are having tonight for dinner - yum!
    Hallelujah, it's a miracle, I have children AND a signature!
    image image

TTC since February 2009
    MC 6/28/2010 @ 7w 5d
    Dx low progesterone October 2010, IUI success and then a total surprise!
  • image Gastro:

This is what I really don't get. If you get your pan super hot, won't it burn them before they're done? Or do you sear them and then reduce the heat to finish cooking them?

TIA! 

• image dizzykates:
    I do two things with them.  First, in the winter, I cook them in a baking dish with a gob of stuffing on top and sitting in a pan of cream of mushroom soup.  In the summer, we grill them, marinated in ranch dressing mixed with a bit of chili powder.  That is actually what we are having tonight for dinner - yum!

This got my stomach growling!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• image dizzykates:
    I do two things with them.  First, in the winter, I cook them in a baking dish with a gob of stuffing on top and sitting in a pan of cream of mushroom soup.  In the summer, we grill them, marinated in ranch dressing mixed with a bit of chili powder.  That is actually what we are having tonight for dinner - yum!

I know these are dumb questions but I'll ask anyway, I have no shame. :o)

1) So you put a can of COM soup in a baking dish, raw pork chops on top of it, then you take what flavored cooked stuffing on top?

2) When you grill them.... you just marinade them in regular ranch dressing (not the powder, correct?), and add in some chili powder? How long do you marinade?

3) What cut of pork chops do you use for either? Bone in or out? Thin or thick cut?

I really like branching out... just get stuck sometimes. 

• KateMWKateMW
    25000 Comments 250 Answers Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its
    I like them grilled and baked. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • KC_13KC_13
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Fifth Anniversary
    image Hav=Fath:

image Gastro:

This is what I really don't get. If you get your pan super hot, won't it burn them before they're done? Or do you sear them and then reduce the heat to finish cooking them?

TIA! 

i pan fry the outside at a high temp then finish in the oven to cook throughout.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image KC_13:
    image Hav=Fath:

image Gastro:

TIA! 

i pan fry the outside at a high temp then finish in the oven to cook throughout.  

Yup, sear them then bake. I make a homemade mushroom and onion cream gravy in the skillet then smother them with it and bake 30 min covered. They are mouth-wateringly delicious and you can cut them with a fork.  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Halloween tickers
  • GastroGastro
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments Third Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry bumpin from phone . Finish in oven like pp said
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The most important step in getting a good sear on meat is to dry the heck out of it with paper towels first. Dry, dry, dry. Wet meat creates moisture in the pan, and moisture is the enemy of a good sear. From there, you can just cook it on Med. High to avoid burning it before it's cooked through. If it looks like it's getting too brown, just lower the heat.

• Best oven pork chop recipie. My kids and dh inhaled it.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl combine the following:
    1 cn cream of mushroom soup
    1 can cheddar cheese soup
    1 cup shredded Colby jack cheese
    1 pkg thawed o brein hashbrown potatoes
    1 c sour cream
    Milk as needed to mix.

Spread this in bottom of pan. Top with more shredded cheese and then add pork chops to the top

Note: some ppl brown chops first...I don't.

Bake covered for 45 minutes.

Remove cover and top with one pkg of crushed season croutons. Put back in oven without cover for another 15 to 30 minutes or until top is brown and bubbly and chops are cooked through.

So so yummy. This easily will feed a family of 4 with older children or a family of 6 with younger kids. Only takes 10 min to mix up which is why I like it.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • image Mrs.Hizzo:
    The most important step in getting a good sear on meat is to dry the heck out of it with paper towels first. Dry, dry, dry. Wet meat creates moisture in the pan, and moisture is the enemy of a good sear. From there, you can just cook it on Med. High to avoid burning it before it's cooked through. If it looks like it's getting too brown, just lower the heat.

Very interesting!! I feel like I asked the most obvious questions.... but the moisture from the oil/butter is okay, just the meat needs to be dry before going in. Right? I LOVE learning a new tip to take into the kitchen with me!!!  

• image Hav=Fath:

image Mrs.Hizzo:
    The most important step in getting a good sear on meat is to dry the heck out of it with paper towels first. Dry, dry, dry. Wet meat creates moisture in the pan, and moisture is the enemy of a good sear. From there, you can just cook it on Med. High to avoid burning it before it's cooked through. If it looks like it's getting too brown, just lower the heat.

Very interesting!! I feel like I asked the most obvious questions.... but the moisture from the oil/butter is okay, just the meat needs to be dry before going in. Right? I LOVE learning a new tip to take into the kitchen with me!!!  

Yes, the moisture from oil is different than water, which is what's in the meat. If you want it crispy, you'll need to dredge it in some seasoned flour (or you could do panko or crushed corn flakes, if you like). I've had good luck with this recipe. Again, just dry the heck out of the meat before you dredge it in the flour.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pork-chops-with-country-gravy-10000001197218/

• image KateMW:
    I like them grilled and baked.nbsp;
    yep just with salt and pepper grilled or baked yum!
    Mom to Emma 9/4/06 and Jackson 11/24/08 M/C Dec 11 and M/C twins feb 2012. BFP Thanksgiving! EDD Aug 4, 2013 M/C at 5 weeks.
  • image Hav=Fath:

image dizzykates:

I know these are dumb questions but I'll ask anyway, I have no shame. :o)

1) So you put a can of COM soup in a baking dish, raw pork chops on top of it, then you take what flavored cooked stuffing on top? 

Yes, I normally cover with tin foil until the very end and then let it brown.  Takes about an hour. 

2) When you grill them.... you just marinade them in regular ranch dressing (not the powder, correct?), and add in some chili powder? How long do you marinade?

Marinading overnight is good, but tonight I just did two hours, the flavor wasn't as good.  I mix my ranch dressing from powder and make it a bit thinner.  The recipe calls for regular bottled ranch. 

3) What cut of pork chops do you use for either? Bone in or out? Thin or thick cut?

I would use any of those, though I am cheap and tend to get thin, without bone.  Any will work, you just have to adjust the cooking time. 

I really like branching out... just get stuck sometimes. 

Hallelujah, it's a miracle, I have children AND a signature!
    image image

TTC since February 2009
    MC 6/28/2010 @ 7w 5d
    Dx low progesterone October 2010, IUI success and then a total surprise!