September 2013 Moms

School or not ?

I need advice! I have a 10yr old and an 8 yr old, the baby is due sept 13th. Fall semester starts sept 8. I have the option to take semester off or take 2 online classes. What would you do and why? I'm don't want to lose momentum with school but I don't want to overload myself. The pros and cons are pretty equal. I don't know what to do.

Son is 10 yrs old

Daughter is 8 yrs old

Son is Due Sept 18, 2013

Re: School or not ?

• I would do online for the flexibility.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My baby is due sept 20th, I'm gonna take online classes. It's gonna be a lot less stressful than having to drive to campus. I would go for the online classes.
  • I'd do the online classes, I think with the other two going back to school you could make it work, as long as you can stick to a self disciplined schedule. I worked from home on my computer when dd was a newborn, it was very doable, especially when I wrapped her to me in the Moby.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would take the online classes. Check in with the professors/teachers right away at the beginning so they are aware that you will be due a week into the courses. See if you can complete any work early or delay exams/major projects if baby comes on or close to one of the dates of a significant assignment. 

My SIL was in her first year of med. school and she was due in the first week of January. She had a full class load (including labs) and her professors worked with her when it came time for baby and she needed to shift a couple exam dates. 

Good luck! 

• I did two online graduate classes last fall with a newborn. DS was born 8/21. Title IX is the law that gives you rights to extended assignment times and some time off when baby is born, GL!

• If the pros and cons are just about equal, I would take the semester off.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • It depends on how difficult the classes are, but I would probably go with taking the semester off. I just took a couple prereq's to get into grad school and they were really time consuming. I wouldn't have done well if I had a newborn at the same time.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If they will help you graduate earlier, I would take them, especially since they're online, unless they are a brutally hard subject or very writing intensive. That said, if it won't really make a difference with when you graduate, then I'd just take the time off. I don't think you'll lose momentum. Just start again in the winter or spring. I'm taking next semester off completely personally, but I also didn't have the option of any online classes.
    One DD born 9/23/13.
    We're one and done!
  • I had the same choice to make. I chose to take one class which puts me at part time meaning I don't have to worry about paying student loans. It's only one class so it's much more manageable. As soon as I find out who my professor is going to be I will let him/her know of my situation. Then I plan to stay ahead in the syllabus by at least one week if not two until I have the baby. Some of my work cannot be done early but I can go back and do that stuff later. My professors always give extensions with reasonable notices. I'll probably have a draft email set up and ready to go so I can just hit send from my smart  phone when I go into labor. The plus is that the class is a graduate class on human sexuality so I guarantee my pregnancy will spark all kinds of discussions about the changing role of women in society/working moms/maternity leave/workplace conditions, etc. 
  • I will be signing up for two online classes that will start the week before she's due. They are literally the last 2 classes that I need to get my degree and I really don't want to have to wait until the winter semester to start them. If I can take (and pass!) them in the fall then I can graduate and hopefully find a job in Jan/Feb.
    Due September 4th! Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm taking online classes for the Fall semester. I'm also not taking as big of a course load as I typically do so I can adjust with the new baby.
  • I decided not to take any classes. I don't want I have the stress of school on top of trying to figure out how to take care of a baby. I'm a FTM.
    Maybe since you have experience with an infant taking a couple of classes would be NBD. Don't overload yourself just to keep momentum though. School will be there next semester too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    fittest mom photo FITTEST-MOM_zps2351b4e2.gif
  • Go online. I did a masters program with online classes with DD while working fulltime. Definitely hard and stressful but I'm so glad I did it and didnt take time off like I wanted to.
  • I have to take 2 classes in order to get financial aide. So it's 2 or none. If it was 1, I would do it in a heart beat. Thanks for the advice, I am so torn!

Son is 10 yrs old

Daughter is 8 yrs old

Son is Due Sept 18, 2013

• When I had my first daughter I was I'm grad school. I took a semester off janmay. She was born Jan 2.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • If you're disciplined enough to be diligent with your online courses, then they seem like a great option. If you don't have that discipline then it might end up being a waste and more stress than you need. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image auroraloo:
    I did two online graduate classes last fall with a newborn. DS was born 8/21. Title IX is the law that gives you rights to extended assignment times and some time off when baby is born, GL!

You are always full of useful info. I had no idea Title IX did that. I'm taking the semester off, but that's awesome. OP, I would go for the online classes. I would be doing that if it was an option.

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• image coraggiosa:
    image auroraloo:
    I did two online graduate classes last fall with a newborn. DS was born 8/21. Title IX is the law that gives you rights to extended assignment times and some time off when baby is born, GL!
    You are always full of useful info. I had no idea Title IX did that. I'm taking the semester off, but that's awesome. OP, I would go for the online classes. I would be doing that if it was an option.
    Thanks. It's mostly because I went through all of this exactly a year ago. I'm taking fall semester off this time because it's my thesis course, but Title IX got me extra time last year.

• I would do it. I was in my last year of my masters program, working full time and interning while pregnant and during the first 9 months of DDs life. It was the worst but I am so happy to have it done and over with so that I can focus on my family.

• I've only ever done online because of the flexibility. I'm not going to lie, keeping up motivation is a pain, but to me is it WAY worth it to be able to not have to take time from my family. I typically start working on my school work after my 4 and 3 year olds are in bed. Once LO gets here my older two will be in school themselves (4 year old turns 5 and will be in Kinder and 3 year old is starting head start). So it will just be me and LO from 9-1 and I figure I can catch up on sleep/school work during that time and catch up on the other at night.
  • I would take the semester off and get things in order at home.  I'm the type who would do fine diving right back in, though.
    Preemie Resources: http://preemiemomblog.blogspot.com/

DD1: BFP July 2010...HG in first tri, MC delivered vaginally at 18 weeks October 2010

DS: BFP December 2011...SCH at 5 weeks, SBR at 7 weeks, Placental Abruption at 13 weeks, Hospitalized at 25 weeks, pPROM at 28 weeks, PTL via CS at 31 weeks 

DD2: BFP January 2013...P17 shots, delivered via VBAC at 39 weeks
  • I've taken online classes in the past and I don't mind them. I am so close to receiving my bachelors, I think I will just take the classes. I have an amazing support system this time around, so I think my mind has been made up. Thank you everyone for your opinions!

Son is 10 yrs old

Daughter is 8 yrs old

Son is Due Sept 18, 2013

• I would take the semester off for sure.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I go online and I decided to take the quarter off. I know I COULD do it, but honestly, I just don't want to. I am in summer quarter right now which ends a week before my RCS and fall quarter starts 10 days later. I have a 2 and 4 year old at home and I know that I want the time to recover from my section, bond, and get adjusted to being home with all the boys.

This is our last baby, and he will never be a newborn again. I don't want to miss out on it because I am stressed with school. School will still be there when I am ready in the winter :)

Boy #3!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I am only two terms away from finishing my degree but I am taking a full term. LO is due September 29th so it will be a challenge, but I don't have to work so I think I'll be ok. I have a month long break from school for winter which is when I'll go back to work. Then in January I'll go back to doing both for ten weeks as I finish my last term. I'm hoping I can do well enough to finish, I just want to be done so I can dedicate more time to LO!

TTC since April 2012
    BFP #1 9/26/12 EDD 6/7/13 MC at 5w2d on 10/6/12
    BFP #2 1/18/13 Baby Boy born 10/2/13!

Counting Rainbows Blog

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I am also taking two online classes. Both communications classes. I definitely think it's doable and may be good to keep occupied during certain times the first couple months post baby... as long as you have a good support system to get the school work done aka you're not taking care of baby by yourself...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am in a similar situation but without the 2 other kids.  My school runs all year and you can start classes the 1st of every month.  My 2 current classes end the last week of August so I am taking off September and starting online classes again on October 1st.  I usually take 3 at a time (9 credits) and I opted for only 2 this semester and I am really glad I did because I am beat!  I figure it will still be tough with a newborn but I am really close to being done and I will be off from work for 2/3 of the semester and with online classes I have so much flexibility. 

My vote is 2 online classes!