April 2013 Moms

Lots of Pumping Questions

Mobile: Lots of Pumping Questions

Sorry if these are redundent/have been asked before.  I feel dumb asking but I keep wondering.  Today was my first 8.5 hours away from LO at work (I've done up to 6 hrs before.)  I pump 3x/ day (every 2.5 hours).

1. My right side is almost always around 1oz and the left at 3oz. I think this might be b/c I normally feed him last on the right side. Does this sound normal or should the yields be about the same since it's been 2.5 hrs since LO fed?

2. Typically in my first two sessions I get 1 oz on the Right and 3 oz on the Left.  Today was the first time I got a third session in.  I got 1.5 oz on both sides during the 3rd session.  Does the total volume normally go down during the day b/c pumping isn't as efficient as BFing? Does it usually even out btwn the two sides?

3. How many sets of parts do you have?  I have 8 bottles and 2 flanges.  I don't have access to hot water at work and the only water I have access to is in the bathroom. So I just put the flanges in the fridge and pump with the same ones throughout the day. But now that I'm pumping 3x a day, I need more bottles since I need 6 to pump with throughout the day and at least the 3 full ones I give to my mom to feed LO and maybe some extras.

4. Does it matter what side you BF on once you have LO again? Should I be remembering which side I fed him on in the morning and feed him the opposite one the next time I see him? Or does pumping "even out" the breasts so it doesn't matter?

Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage

Re: Lots of Pumping Questions

• 1. It's completely normal to have a "stud" and a "dud" - from what I've read the "dud" produces higher fat milk so they each have a purpose.  Also remember that just because your LO may get 3 oz when he feeds doesn't mean you'll be able to pump 3 oz, babies are much more efficient than pumps.

2. It's typical to have more milk in the morning than in the afternoon.  I don't know if it usually evens out or not.

3. I have 2 flanges and a bunch of bottles, 2 of the 8 oz medela bottles and probably 8 of the 5 oz bottles.  

4. I don't know the answer to this one, but I'd imagine as long as you keep it rotated you're fine. 

• 1.I normally pump 4-5 ounces from my left & 1-3 from my right so that def sounds normal to me.

2.Regarding the amount you yield you have to take into consideration the time of day, how much water you've had, etc.

3.I only take two bottles to work & two flanges. I pump right into the medela bags with the hooks.  If I have another brand of bags, I normally pump then pour it in the bag then wash my bottles.  Medela has these soap & water wipies that are pretty neat you should

4.I'm not sure

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I'll echo the pps. As for number 4, it doesn't matter but you could start w the side that makes less if you want to up the production on that side.

I only bring one set of flanges and bottles. I pump into it throughout the day and transfer the milk into lansinoh bags when I'm done much easier to store and freeze if needed. When I'm done pumping I put the pump parts into a wetbag and put it in the fridge. This saves SO much time trying to wash them and make sure they're dry!!

Monkey foot designs has some super cute wetbags. I use a size medium.
    The Bump ate my profile! Oh well, new and improved... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

...sigh... can't work my siggy.  Little sister born the day before big brother's second birthday.
  • 1. Right stud, left dud... and yes, to PP, my dud does seem to produce fattier milk! Weird!

To the other questions: I have a ton of 5 ounce bottles. I pump into both bottled and storage bags, depending on whether I think I'll have excess milk for the week. I only have one set of pump parts. I leave my parts in the fridge too and pump 2 or 3 times while at work. When I get home I nurse on whatever side feels fuller, and both if LO is up for it, but he's usually a one sider
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • I wish I could leave my parts in the fridge. Ppl might get "offended" here is you recall my post about that, sigh

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• image tondraluv:
    I wish I could leave my parts in the fridge. Ppl might get "offended" here is you recall my post about that, sigh

i got gallon size food storage bags that are reusable. theyre called repac. They have great prints. If nobody can see what's in the bag, maybe they won't get offended?

• image tondraluv:
    I wish I could leave my parts in the fridge. Ppl might get "offended" here is you recall my post about that, sigh

Check out the wetbags!  The only way anyone would know what's in there is by opening it.  And I think whoever was "offended" by your pump parts/breast milk/whatever is ridiculous.  

The Bump ate my profile! Oh well, new and improved... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

...sigh... can't work my siggy.  Little sister born the day before big brother's second birthday.