November 2013 Moms

Nursery Vent

Anyone else having trouble getting your SO motivated to work on the nursery? My lovely DH, who I adore, agreed weeks ago that he would paint the nursery this past weekend. A friend even offered to help and we scheduled our furniture delivery, which is happening tonight, around him painting this past weekend. Our weekends for the next few month are slammed and I have been looking forward to getting the nursery set up before I am too big to help much. Long story short, DH came home Friday and feigned ignorance about his agreement to paint over the weekend while the room was still empty. I only got him to do it, or at least most of it, after telling him that I would just hire someone to do it. It may be the hormones, but I was sooooo irritated that he tried to wiggle out of painting. Rant over. Maybe I just need some ice cream!

Re: Nursery Vent

• That would be annoying if he promised and then tried to pretend he didn't.  I don't know how far along you are, but is there any reason you couldn't have done it or helped? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• MH is procrastinating as well. We are painting polka dots and I can't stay in the lines so I just need him to do the outline and I can fill in. Last weekend I literally got one dot out of him. I figure I have 17 weeks left so we should be able to get one wall done at this rate!

imageimage
  • Actually that is another reason he finally got to work. He is adamantly against me being around the fumes, and I threatened to paint myself. I love to paint but respect his concerns about fume.
  • image questra8:
    Actually that is another reason he finally got to work. He is adamantly against me being around the fumes, and I threatened to paint myself. I love to paint but respect his concerns about fume.

I would get a good mask and do it myself!  I was just painting last night actually!  My DH doesn't see the nursery as a priority either.  We have been finishing up the spare bedroom and bathroom.  Next we need to finish repainting shutters and the front and back porch.  Then comes the nursery.

BFP #1 12.23.12—1.16.13 M/C @ 7w6d

BFP #2 3.14.13—EDD 11.20.13

• My husbands solution to my ranting seems to be hiring someone to do it. I wanted the nursery painted and the shelves put up this weekend and my husband decided that he couldn't be bothered so he is having a contractor come in and do the work.... I think I might add a few more things onto this guys list and rack up the bill so my husband will just start doing things himself!!! He is of the mentality that you shouldn't do things you don't want to do and if you can afford to pay someone to do then by all means... 

Newborn 6 Months
    image image 

• So glad we painted our nursery when I was pregnant the first time! Now all I have to do is decorate and to be honest, I don't want DHs help. I like things a certain way.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married 12.10.11 - TTC 1.12 - DH:24 ME:25
    Hodgkin's Lymphoma 5.09 - Lupron shots - Last chemo 10.14.09 - Remission 12.09 
                                                     Missing my April '13 & September '13 angel babies 
    Luck & Love to our first foster on a forever home - 4.13-7.13
    BFP#3 2.23.13 EDD: 11.3.2013 Daily shots of Enoxaparin
    Beta#1: 300 - Started Crinone-Beta#2: 1680 - 7w3d HB@146 - 9w3d HB@173 
    Jackson - October 29th 2013 - Via C-section - 6lbs 10oz 19in
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I plan on painting the nursery myself. I'll get a mask and open the windows. I'm not helpless because I'm pregnant. Besides, if you want something down, and done right, you gotta do it yourself anyways.

MMC 01/26/12

MC 12/25/12

BFP 03/5/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 at 9w2d. It's a girl!

<3 Madeline Lorraine <3

imageimageimage

• image leopardgurl831:

image questra8:
    Actually that is another reason he finally got to work. He is adamantly against me being around the fumes, and I threatened to paint myself. I love to paint but respect his concerns about fume.

I would get a good mask and do it myself!&nbsp; I was just painting last night actually!&nbsp; My DH doesn't see the nursery as a priority either.&nbsp; We have been finishing up the spare bedroom and bathroom.&nbsp; Next we need to finish repainting shutters and the front and back porch.&nbsp; Then comes the nursery.

Lol! He probably would have seen me doing exactly that if he hadn't finally gotten off his tail and started painting as promised.
  • I have a little trick to get the DH motivated to do things... I tell him that I'll just do it myself! It works especially well if the project involves power tools or moving large things around. He usually hops to when I start struggling with the project myself :-) 
  • Ughhh this same stuff made me SO upset my first pregnancy! I had thought DH would be excited to help with the nursery but he always dragged his feet, made excuses for not helping, and didn't even want to talk about it. It was very frustrating and i worried what type of dad he'd be. I think DH was anxious about new baby and didn't want to think about baby until she was here. He's now a good dad but we just dealt with our anxieties differently while I was pregnant.

I ended up hiring a handyman to paint, hang the curtain rod and ceiling fan, install light dimmers, etc. DH only put together the crib, but grumbled the whole time. Weird men...

This pregnancy, DH's attitude is better. We just assembled the crib and he's helping with the nursery now. Now we laugh about how grumpy he was during my pregnancy!
  • image sarahammandavis:
    My husbands solution to my ranting seems to be hiring someone to do it. I wanted the nursery painted and the shelves put up this weekend and my husband decided that he couldn't be bothered so he is having a contractor come in and do the work.... I think I might add a few more things onto this guys list and rack up the bill so my husband will just start doing things himself!!! He is of the mentality that you shouldn't do things you don't want to do and if you can afford to pay someone to do then by all means...nbsp;

I sort of agree with your hubby. If you can afford it, then why not? My issue is I can't afford it. I keep asking people to help and they keep saying they will but when push cones to shove they don't come. Arg. I actually contemplated moving bookshelves downstairs by myself yesterday then thought better if it.
    View Full Size Image image image
  • image lamo1210:
    So glad we painted our nursery when I was pregnant the first time! Now all I have to do is decorate and to be honest, I don't want DHs help. I like things a certain way.

Minus the painting, this is me. All I want is for him to take out the trash when he said so I can reorganize my kitchen like I want. I would love to take out the trash, but I can't carry trash and walk down my stairs not pregnant, plus its his ONE chore.

• image questra8:

I understand.  It's really ok, though, especially if you choose a low/no VOC paint. 

We decided to hire painters for the nursery because (1) I'm not getting up on a ladder, (2) it's too much bending and leaning for me to do the baseboards, (3) DH really, really hates painting, and (4) we're the types to be like, "Eh, it's good enough" when we get tired of doing it, which leaves the edging looking less than good (you should see where the ceiling meets the wall in our bedroom - can't wait to put crown molding up so I don't have to see that mess anymore). For $600, it's totally worth it, in our opinion.

• Sounds familiar...  That sort of situation is exactly why I painted our nursery myself!!

N13 August Siggy Challenge - Ugly Cry

My favorite little man

• ljh556ljh556
    10 Comments 5 Love Its
    When I told my DH that before our LO get here I needed him to fix a hole in the ceiling in her room and replace the cracked bathtub and install a faucet so i don't have to give a newborn a shower. Next thing I know he has a contractor buddy at our house and is getting quotes for adding a Master bedroom and bathroom, a new porch, and carport. He failed to mention to him that LO had a hole in the ceiling of her room and that she was going to be showering at 3 days old. Needless to say I told the contractor about those things while DH rolled his eyes. Where do we stand now, Nothing has been done. LO's room still has a 8 inch hole in the ceiling (covered by printer paper and packing tape) and is still looking at being the amazing showering baby. He thinks that we have plenty of time, But fails to realize we are in a oil boom in our area and ALL the builders are super busy and have at least 6 month waits. Oh, well I guess the tape will work and she can bath in the kitchen sink.
  • My DH did this as well with our first.  I ended up hiring a painter and putting together all the furniture myself.  I had a couple of my neighbors carry heavy stuff up the stairs.  Sometimes if you wanna get things done you just gotta do them  yourself.  I don't think a lot of men get how exciting setting the nursery up is for a woman.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Since the furniture was delivered last night, my DH has been way more excited about setting up the nursery. I guess it's more real for him now. He took me to get a mattress last night and we put the bedding on. He's doing the accent wall tonight and is already carrying in and placing the things he wants to hang.
  • I painted the nursery, but my husband did help tremendously by prepping all the wood for the pallet wall, and then installing it while I sat there with my feet up directing him and picking out which pieces to use.  That was a nice compromise, so I didn't feel like I was doing it all.

I wish he would at least pretend to be excited about picking out furniture, or if he really doesn't care, then just say he likes what I picked so I don't feel like I'm forcing him to get things he doesn't like.

Other than that, I wish he would stay out of it :)  I have a "vision" and he keeps wanting to add things that do not go with it!

Holy shit, I finally figured out how to add a damn ticker!!!  Just in time, because...

Pregnancy Ticker

Siggy Challenges:
       March '15: You had ONE job!