April 2013 Moms

What do you think of baby swim lessons?

I am thinking of having my son in swim lessons when he is about 6 months, I saw some videos of the little babies that turn themselves upwards if they accidentally fell in. It looks really interesting... https://www.infantswim.com/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What do you think of baby swim lessons?

• This was on our local news!  I think it's pretty cool

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I would assume you'd be with him the whole time? If so, I say go for it as long as you're super careful about the sun. Is it indoors or in the evening? I lost my dad 2 years ago to melanoma, so the sun is a huge worry for me.

I do think its pretty fascinating though that babies can swim!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemrshall10210:
    I would assume you'd be with him the whole time? If so, I say go for it as long as you're super careful about the sun. Is it indoors or in the evening? I lost my dad 2 years ago to melanoma, so the sun is a huge worry for me. I do think its pretty fascinating though that babies can swim!

You are within arms reach of your child while they are learning.  

• I think it's pretty cool, but I haven't started any of my kids in that kind of lesson. I might if we had a pool in our backyard, but for now traditional swimming lessons are enough for us.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • My situation though is we have a creek running behind the house. There is one spot where it is about 5 feet deep though. Of course, I will be watching him to the best of my ability, but there are always accidents.

• We are planning to do this.
  • imageNandaB:
    The sahm board talked about this recently. Its pretty controverial. I would be concerned about the method in which they 'teach' the babies. I'm not in a hurry to scare my baby into learning how to stay afloat. I get that you have a safety concern, but I wouldn't rely on anything other than being super aware and a fence to protect my baby near moving water. I'm not in a rush to teach my baby to swim. Or read.

We personally know several people who did the class with their infants - none of the infants cried, and most of them laughed or smiled during the class.   They weren't scared.  I wouldn't do it if I thought he was going to be scared.  

• I'm pretty sure the type of swimming lessons you're talking about are very expensive and on a one on one basis. Definitely look into availability in your area.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• imageOhSewCrafty:
    I'm pretty sure the type of swimming lessons you're talking about are very expensive and on a one on one basis. Definitely look into availability in your area.

I have looked into it, there are a bunch of programs here in Sacramento, one is 14 weeks, though I am leaving back to WV in the middle of August, and there are no programs (That I have seen yet, still looking) that offer infant training unless I go all the way to middle Ohio once or twice a week (Nope!)

The ones I have seen are like $150 or so, which I honestly think isn't bad at all. 

• I think its great, my husband is going to start 'water babies' class at 6 months with our guy!  Our 2 nephews both started at 6 months, loved it, and are both excellent swimmers at 2 and 4.
    imageimageimage
  • These swimming instructors get paid ~$100 for a 10 minute lesson! Wowza! I think I need to look into teaching these lol

ETA: I think I was reading that wrong. It looks like it's ~100 for a week of lessons. Still, 5 lessons, at only 10 minutes each, for $100.... These people are getting paid $120/hour!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Yes I will enroll my DD when she is 6 months old. We live at the beach and near two rivers I was taught to swim at a very early age and feel its a good thing. I would never continue if DD was scared or uncomfortable and doing lots of research about the programs in my area make me feel at ease with it.
  • Started Norah is lessons at 6 months, will start Nellie the same. Swimming is a life skill that we take seriously. My IL's live on farms with multiple dams, the girls have to have basic skills.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    imageimageimage
  • keadokeado member
    I think swim lessons are awesome and swimming is such a critical life skill. If that creek was behind my house, though, I'd build a fence so freaking high around my backyard so that no child could get ever back there.  
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"