July 2013 Moms

48 hour formula feed

Our baby girl has been having jaundice issues unfortunately. They had her under the photo therapy lights twice already, but the numbers climb back up once she's out. Between that and doing endless bloodwork, they have ruled out everything except for something called breastmilk jaundice. I had previously never heard of this before. Apparently, in a small amount of babies (2.4%) something in my breastmilk can interfere with her body's ability to break down the biliruben. I was devastated when I heard this. It was very hard to hear that something my body is producing exclusively for her, could also be making her sick. Her pediatrician recommended formula feeding only for 48 hours to see if her levels drop again. I was very pro- ebf. I wanted very much to only feed her breastmilk. I was very committed and determined to stick with it and that it was the best thing for my baby. Obviously all I want is for her to get better. After the 48 hours is up, we can go back to breastmilk as long as her levels remain down. I am afraid that we will have trouble getting her back on breastmilk when this is over. Do you think I should be worried that she won't want it anymore? Her pediatrician recommended I pump during this time and store it so we don't lose any. I still can't believe that something that is supposed to be the best for her, could be hurting her. T & P please that we have finally found the cause of her jaundice, and that she returns to breastmilk once this is over. I've cried over this so much already.
July 13 ~ July Siggy Challenge: Dogs!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic  
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

Re: 48 hour formula feed

• Formula isn't as sweet so I doubt it. I think your being a bit dramatic about bf. My DS is having the same issue, but not to the extent you are. Just breath follow your instructs and drs orders, everything will be okay :

Did your dr suggest vit d supplement or daily sun time?
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
     Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    May Siggy Challenge:  My Little Boy Growing Up
  • I really wouldn't worry. I mean of course you're going to worry but this also happened to me and I was ebf my son had to stay in the nicu and I too felt disappointed in myself. He came out after the 48 hrs much better and he latched on better than ever. The nicu md told me that at less than 3 weeks of age babies are really quite easy to go back to breastfeeding. I also pumped during this time and now that my little guy is home we ebf and at 20 days old his jaundice levels have almost completely diminished. I know it seems like a deal breaker but it will get better. Good luck and hang in there.
    July Siggy Challenge
  • You're probably right about me being dramatic. I've been way more emotional than normal since having her. Dr said that sun time won't make enough of a difference. We were giving her a vit d supplement. 
  • We had a problem with jaundice too and I completely understand being overwhelmed and upset - I was a wreck. I later realized it wasn't as huge a deal as I thought at the time but I had been in the hospital for almost a week after an unplanned induction for pree, a bad tear, and no sleep and having to keep her overnight for jaundice scared the crap out of me.  Our situation doesn't sound as bad as yours and I was allowed to breast feed while they kept her under the lights but it was so hard because  they gave me a time limit and she wouldn't stay awake and I was stressed so I only tried twice - the rest of the time they gave her formula and we supplemented the next day and a half well until we had our next Dr appointment.  She has gone back to breastfeeding just fine - no issues at all. (she's 3 weeks now and hasn't had any more formula)

I would do what the Dr says and continue to pump.  And if you aren't I would make sure to use a slow flow nipple on the bottle - and most importantly don't stress!  Important thing is your baby is eating!  I wouldn't worry about not being able to breastfeed - I'm sure you will be ok.  And if things aren't working out when you try again then try contacting a lactation consultant.

• DD goes back and forth between breast, bottle and formula. Sometimes she is bottle fed formula sometimes it is breastmilk. Don't worry about it.

ETA: you're going to want to pump anyways just so you don't end up engorged.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ts and Ps. Hang in there momma.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

July13 siggy

• I think we are all more dramatic :)  Like I said I think your LO will be fine, they almost always prefer breast milk directly from the breast compared to other options.  Just make sure your DH is the one to feed, it should help.  I would pump at this time and looking at your LO does help with the flow.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
     Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    May Siggy Challenge:  My Little Boy Growing Up
  • I'm sorry you're going through this. Your breast milk will still be the best option for her once this issue clears up. I know you had your heart set on EBF, but try to remember that this is just a temporary set back. I wouldn't worry about her going back to breast milk, but it may be beneficial to try alternative methods to formula feed, like syringe feeds. Ask your nurse and GL!

June Siggy Challenge: Favorite Cat GIF

"Penis or vagina or penis or vagina or penis or vagina?"

"PENIS."

• I'm sorry you're having a rough time. We are all overly emotional about every little thing now, don't worry about it! Hang in there, mama. Hope things get better soon.
  • Thank you for your replies ladies! I appreciate it.
  • We did this with DD and she returned to Breast Milk just fine. Don't borrow worry for yourself.

• AmyG*AmyG*
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary Name Dropper

Honestly, there is no reason to switch to formula for 48 hours to clear what is deemed Breastmilk jaundice.

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&id=79:breastfeeding-and-jaundice&Itemid=17

http://www.breastfeeding-problems.com/breastfeeding-and-jaundice.html

It is an old school of thought that a bf baby with a moderately elevated bilirubin level needs formula to "flush out" the jaundice.

Basically what giving formula for 48 hours does is rules out any other possible reason for jaundice.  Baby's levels usually stay low once the formula is discontinued but not always. 

The jaundice levels of a baby with breastmilk jaundice are elevated but not in any danger zone.  if they are in the danger zone, baby's needs phototherapy and additional fluids(more nursing, usually every 2 hours for 24 hours and then backing down from there to every 2-3 hours during day 3-4 at night).

giving formula allows dr to check off the check box on baby's chart [baby has no jaundice, check; baby has regained birthweight, check, etc].  Breastmilk jaundice doesn't mean anything is wrong with breastmilk.

This is not because there is something in your breastmilk making baby sick. It's because there is something in your breastmilk that makes jaundice stick around loger than usual at usually extremely low levels.  we do not understand how that works or why.  we do know that bilirubin scavenges potentially toxic oxygen free radicals which may cause cancers later in life.  We don't know if some babies need this more than others or why it occurs. 

Since formula feeding has been the norm for years, if baby has jaundice, which is rare in formula fed babies, then drs want to treat the jaundice agressively because for a formula fed baby to have jaundice means something is seriously wrong.  this spills over into breastfeeding, as if more formula is the only way to deal with it.

AmyG*

I don't type posts; I type novels.

I don't get tags, sorry.

• AmyG*AmyG*
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary Name Dropper

if you want to continue to breastfeed successfully, I would be hesitant to do 48 hours of formula. I say this as a mom who doesn't let down for a pump. one time I got 4 oz, the rest of the time I got enough to cover the bottom of the milk bottle only, regardless of type of pump used etc. So this advice to give formula for 48 hours would have meant the end to my breastfeeding, rather than being able to successfully bf for a combined 50 mos with my kids. Since I could not successfully pump, after 48 hours of not nursing or pumping,  my body would get the signal to dry up milk supply.

Of course if you also want to check off the box on baby's chart of "no jaundice" and you really want to do 48 hours of formula I have some suggestions to try to help.

1. rent a hospital grade pump if at all possible.  This early on your supply is not well regulated and many women will struggle to pump with anything else.  It didn't work for me, but might for you.

2.  pump very very often, and if you are not collecting a good amount of milk, pump for 5-15 minutes after the milk stops flowing in case you get another let down and to signal to your body that you still need a lot of milk for baby.  you may need to pump more often than baby eats.  you should collect ~25 oz, but if baby is less than 3 weeks old you may only get 12-20 oz.  use that as a guide that your baby is probably eating less than the normal intake for a bf baby >3weeks old of 25 oz a day.  adjust the amount you give in a bottle to close to that range.

3.  Give appropriate amounts in a bottle.  like I mentioned above, baby has a small stomach at this age, and is probably taking in a bit less than the 25 oz a day you expect of a baby >3weeks of age thru 6+ mos ish.  The range is 19-30 oz, but a young baby may take a bit less than that.  don't give huge bottles, keep amounts low, probably < 2 oz every 2 hours.

4.  give the milk slowly, and in a bfing friendly manner.  You could give in a way besides a bottle, to avoid any potential bottle nipple preference--like cup, spoon, eyedropper, syringe or finger feeder.  If you use a bottle, use paced feeding, stopping every 1/2 oz to burp for several minutes, switch sides you hold baby on like bfing, and sit baby more upright and tilt bottle downward to slow the flow of milk.  a bottle should take about 20 minutes so baby's brain gets a chance to know they are full.   if a bottle gives milk very fast, baby may learn to chug a bottle and prefer the fast flow and less work of a bottle.  then you may have trouble getting baby back to the breast.

good luck whatever you do. 

AmyG*

I don't type posts; I type novels.

I don't get tags, sorry.

• I'm sorry you're dealing with this. T P's to you and your LO!