April 2013 Moms

Period stuff

You'd think I'd know this. But I've heard it's possible to have a period without ovulating? But don't you have a period because you've ovulated? So is it possible to ovulate but not have a period?? How's this work?

We won't be using birth control pills and I'm trying to get myself all figured out so we are extra careful during ovulation time. I have had 1 period. So I assume I ovulated. But I've heard you can have a period without ovulating. I don't know.

Re: Period stuff

• When you have a period the blood and tissue that comes out is the layers of the uterine wall shedding. It is possible to ovulate and not have a period, our hormones are all over the place right now, and hormones are responsible for our cycles. I had a 'period' for 6 weeks. What I'm getting at is that our bodies are really unpredictable atm so it's best to play it safe when it comes to sex. I don't know how you would be 100% positive when you are going to ovulate. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Well, if you're on hormonal BC, you have a period every month without ovulating -- but it is just a "withdrawl bleed" from stopping the hormones for a week.

Other than that, it is possible but rare.  From American Pregnancy Org -

Having a period does not necessarily mean that ovulation has taken place. Some women may have what is called an anovulatory cycle, (meaning no ovulation) and can experience some bleeding which is mistaken for a period, but it is actually not a true period. This bleeding is caused by either a buildup in the uterine lining that can no longer sustain itself or by an estrogen level drop. The main way to decipher if ovulation is in fact taking place is by tracking the body temperature.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageJSS1002:

Well, if you're on hormonal BC, you have a period every month without ovulating -- but it is just a "withdrawl bleed" from stopping the hormones for a week.

Other than that, it is possible but rare.  From American Pregnancy Org -

Having a period does not necessarily mean that ovulation has taken place. Some women may have what is called an anovulatory cycle, (meaning no ovulation) and can experience some bleeding which is mistaken for a period, but it is actually not a true period. This bleeding is caused by either a buildup in the uterine lining that can no longer sustain itself or by an estrogen level drop. The main way to decipher if ovulation is in fact taking place is by tracking the body temperature.

ALso, if you are trying to do natural family planning, read "Taking Control of Your Fertility."  It will teach you how to temp / chart your cycles to figure out when you're fertile.  Not perfect or foolproof but helpful.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"