Breastfeeding

plugged duct or mastitis?

Anyone have these I seem to have it in my left side...any suggestions for keeping it away bc it goes away then comes back. Baby is an excellent feeder so that's not an issue

Re: plugged duct or mastitis?

• Make sure to feed frequently. Massage it out if baby can't clear it on their own. Here are the tips from Kellymom, I actually already had the page open because I was looking for tips myself!

If you're not sure which it is, it's my understanding that mastitis feels like a plugged duct with all over body aches and fever, like you have the flu. If you feel fine and just have a lump, then it's probably a plugged duct.

https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

• I kept getting plugged ducts no matter how much I massaged while I pumped (I EP).  Finally I started taking Lecithin and I think it really helps! I tried to back down on my dose and the plugs came right back, so it must be doing something! Kellymom has a good article on how much to take. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a plugged duct that led to mastitis so make sure you keep it empty and try and get the clog out
  • imageMufflerlove:
    I had a plugged duct that led to mastitis so make sure you keep it empty and try and get the clog out

this, and watch for fever. My first week back to work was miserable because of mastitis 

• Mastitis SUCKS. You will have fever, often sudden high fever, and feel like total crap. 

Clogged ducts: massage it while baby is feeding. Try to feed frequently. Hot compresses prior to feeding and/or with massage are supposed to help. Massage down towards your nipple.

DS had all sorts of nursing issues and I got mastitis several times with him, plus a number of clogged ducts that went away. I also think the lecithin (supplement you can buy) really helped a lot for me. It's kind of hard to find. 

IMO, if you start to feel all-over ill and/or start to have chills/fever, call your doctor ASAP and try to get an Rx for an antibiotic. Anything to head off a nasty case of mastitis. Mine was willing to call one in for me and not have me be seen.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageNicoleWI:

Mastitis SUCKS. You will have fever, often sudden high fever, and feel like total crap. 

Clogged ducts: massage it while baby is feeding. Try to feed frequently. Hot compresses prior to feeding and/or with massage are supposed to help. Massage down towards your nipple.

DS had all sorts of nursing issues and I got mastitis several times with him, plus a number of clogged ducts that went away. I also think the lecithin (supplement you can buy) really helped a lot for me. It's kind of hard to find. 

IMO, if you start to feel all-over ill and/or start to have chills/fever, call your doctor ASAP and try to get an Rx for an antibiotic. Anything to head off a nasty case of mastitis. Mine was willing to call one in for me and not have me be seen.  

Ditto. I felt like I had a bad case of the flu when I had mastitis. There was no denying what it was. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"