Stay at Home Moms

Don't you just love pyramid schemes?

Avon, Mary Kay, Lea Sophia, any of these sell from home things... they're all pyramid schemes. You only make money when you recruit more guppies to sell, too. Don't women realize this?

I don't understand - both my sister and cousin, who are both well educated and bright, constantly flood my phone and FB with requests to buy Scentsy and Mary Kay. Dude, I'm not going to buy it.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

"The strong look for more strength; the weak look for excuses."

Married July 2009, Furbaby adopted Sept. 2010, DS born June 2012

Re: Don't you just love pyramid schemes?

• I don't mind them if the friend doesn't try to sell to me all the time. I have one who invited me to "dinner." Yea, it was a sales party with a little dinner served. I was duped. Another friend mentions her product and current specials every.single.time we see each other. Then she tells me how her family is struggling to pay bills. Ugh.

ETA I really do want a 31 utility tote though.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• I just can't. 

Perhaps we should make a sticky on here. FYI: no one likes those parties so think of another way to earn money from home! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • Ugh. My sister sold Avon for a while and seriously handed out booklets at our other sister's birthday party.

I actually used to sell Mary Kay, and I loved the product. I never made money though because I refused to bombard my friends and family. They knew I sold it and I figured they'd let me know if they were interested. It lasted about a month. Oh well.

The new one is It Works. Talk about pyramid scheme.

**Nestie Besties with Deutschefairy**

Diagnosed PCOS '03, TTC #1 Since March '09
    BFP - 10/20/10, M/C - 10/29/10
    June 2011 - 50mg Clomid = No O
    Dieted and exercised my butt off for PCOS = BFP 5/7/2012
    Due 12/29/2012
  • CnAmomCnAmom
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary
    This is why phone sex operator is such a good opportunity for a SAHM. You have willing customers who don't care if you charge stupid amounts of money AND you don't even have to get out of bed!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers, Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • caybehcaybeh
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary

I hear you! I often feel like putting that on my FB page. Norwex is really big here right now. There is a gal at church that is a consultant, and I think I got invited to five or six parties last fall within two months. I never go because I don't want to buy it. I'm always told, "oh you don't have to buy anything, just come to the party and hang out!" Whatever....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

• image Hollylb3:
    Ugh. My sister sold Avon for a while and seriously handed out booklets at our other sister's birthday party. I actually used to sell Mary Kay, and I loved the product. I never made money though because I refused to bombard my friends and family. They knew I sold it and I figured they'd let me know if they were interested. It lasted about a month. Oh well. The new one is It Works. Talk about pyramid scheme.

I have a friend who constantly floods my FB newsfeed with it works. I finally had to unfriend her. SO annoying! I don't want to fund your SAH lifestyle so stop asking me to buyshit 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes they are pyramid, but you can make money without having people below you.  I sell partylite but I am probably the most unpushy salesperson ever.  I haven't had anyone host a party in months and I don't care.  I've still gotten orders online and my mother-in-law buys whatever she needs when she runs out of stuff (she loves partylite and used it prior to me selling it).  I don't make a lot, but I do make a small amount and I have nobody (nor do I want anybody) underneath me.  I am in it to have something that is mine, not to push all my friends and family to have parties and buy stuff they don't really need or want.  All that to say, you can make money at it without going crazy, but it won't be enough to supplement your family income.  It will be enough to have an evening out every couple of months.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• I agree, no one likes these parties. I have a friend that has done all of them, it's ssooo annoying. Sometimes it is good stuff though. I just bought a origami owl necklace for mother's day. I love it.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I went to a play date at a friend's house a few weeks ago, and one of the mom's brought a bunch of dips to sample from Tastefully Simple, and also put out one of the catalogs!! It was super annoying, and I made a point not to even look at the catalog. 

And my neighbor keeps throwing these kinds of parties, just yesterday she had a jewelry party and I said I was busy, while hiding inside my house doing nothing lol.

• Nobody does those kinds of parties around here. We don't have our fair share of clothing shows, but that doesn't pay except in smocked clothes. Smile AG's dream!
    There is another kid, she's 10... 
  • CnAmomCnAmom
    image nonasimonsen:
    image CnAmom:
    This is why phone sex operator is such a good opportunity for a SAHM. You have willing customers who don't care if you charge stupid amounts of money AND you don't even have to get out of bed!
    You actually only make like 9 cents a minute or something and you only make more after you have kept them on the phone for longer than 10 min or something.
    How exactly do you know that?
  • A mom from my moms group invited us over for a play date. She slowly introduced me to her whole Stella and dot scheme. I get home and she starts sending me pics of all these jewelry pieces she thinks would look good on me. She proceeds to tell me she's got me circled for 9/21 as a tentative date for me to host a party. Umm no!
    Andrea 7/9/08, Joaquin 4/18/11, boy coming 12/18/13 Forever missed: Gabriel 11/24/09 at 20 weeks
  • I went to a bridal shower hosted by Pampered Chef. All the games focused around selling their products. Then they tried to guilt us into buying a brownie tray for the bride.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• My dad got sucked in those pyramid schemes when I was growing up.  I swear he must have done like 10 of them.  I actually don't talk about it that much because I am so embarrassed.  I think that is why I am so against them now.  My dad wasted a lot of money and years of his life chasing the " be your own boss " dream. 

My BFF's mom was the same way.  She has done so many of them over the course of decades and as you can imagine hasn't made any money on them. 

• CnAmomCnAmom
    image rockyrollgirl:
    I went to a bridal shower hosted by Pampered Chef. All the games focused around selling their products. Then they tried to guilt us into buying a brownie tray for the bride.
    Well that's a special kind of WTF. Let's have a sales party under the guise of a bridal shower! Because that always goes over well.
  • M0ONM0ON
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments Name Dropper

A friend of mine used to work as a receptionist at an upscale hair salon. The owner of the salon got into one of those sales schemes (I forget the name but it was household stuff like kitchenware etc), and tried to pressure all her stylists to join up. The owner and the stylists she'd talked into it all began to pressure all their clients to buy things during their appointments.

She eventually got so caught up in the scheme, alienating most of her stylists and clients, that she had to shut down her salon. Needless to say, with the scheme she didn't make anything close to what she'd made from the salon, so she had to sell her house.

So, so sad.

• image CnAmom:
    image rockyrollgirl:
    I went to a bridal shower hosted by Pampered Chef. All the games focused around selling their products. Then they tried to guilt us into buying a brownie tray for the bride.
    Well that's a special kind of WTF. Let's have a sales party under the guise of a bridal shower! Because that always goes over well.

Yeah, it was pretty bad. I think they talked the bride into it by saying they would ship all her stuff since she was moving to Hawaii. That is my guess anyway.

The game where they had her making mango salsa with their slap chop thing had to have been the best one.

• Ugh my sister is so gullable and got tied into Mary Kay. She spent hundreds to get her "kit" and has never sold a damn thing. Nor does she have the personality to sell anything. I will never understand why people think they are a good idea.
  • I have no clue why any intelligent educated person would buy into these. In fact I think the people that sell them can't be intelligent or educated. A quick google search on pyramid sales companies tell you all you need to know. I think these companies prey on the not so bright. It makes me sad.
    Mom to Emma 9/4/06 and Jackson 11/24/08 M/C Dec 11 and M/C twins feb 2012. BFP Thanksgiving! EDD Aug 4, 2013 M/C at 5 weeks.
  • Hmmm. I love my Mary Kay makeup. My sister used to sell it for the 50 discount and the gave me a portion of that discount. I also love all my Lia Sophia jewelry and my Thirtyone bags. I think some people just sell because they love the product. I hate the pushy sales people though.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Lurker here-

I just had to say though, that every time I hear or see someone trying to sell this stuff, I immediately think of Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite, trying to sell his unbreakable tupperware.  It cracks me up.  :) 

Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image rockyrollgirl:

image CnAmom:
    image rockyrollgirl:

Yeah, it was pretty bad. I think they talked the bride into it by saying they would ship all her stuff since she was moving to Hawaii. That is my guess anyway.

The game where they had her making mango salsa with their slap chop thing had to have been the best one.

The admin who did my wedding room block finalization tried to sell me on a pampered chef shower over the phone while she was working for the hotel. I was tempted to call her boss about that. SO wrong.

I also had a woman approach me to compliment my jacket and I was feeling all cute for two seconds when she handed me her Mary Kay card. Screw you, fake compliment lady! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimageimage

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • id012id012
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 100 Love Its Second Anniversary
    I dont sell but i have gotten some products. I actually did sell lia sophia for a month but it wasnt for me.
    I do know a few people who sell marykay and liasophia and they make really good money doing it. Like thats there full time job. 2 of them also have gotten cars out of it.
  • image CabbageCabbage:
    image rockyrollgirl:

image CnAmom:
    image rockyrollgirl:

The admin who did my wedding room block finalization tried to sell me on a pampered chef shower over the phone while she was working for the hotel. I was tempted to call her boss about that. SO wrong.

I also had a woman approach me to compliment my jacket and I was feeling all cute for two seconds when she handed me her Mary Kay card. Screw you, fake compliment lady! 

Haha at fake compliments. It is so disappointing. It is worst when they insult you and then try to sell you your product. "We have a great cream for that acne!"

Oh, now I really want to buy something from you!

• Ugh, tell me about it. I spent 2 hours the other night listening to a sales pitch for Rodin and Fields skincare. It was a friend, and I felt bad saying no. Of course they bank on that guilt factor. Horrible.  
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • I don't understand it either. My neighborhood is full of women who sell that stuff.   I think Mary Kay, Avon, Scentsy, Park Lane and Premier Jewelry, 31, origami owl,  Pampered Chef, Tastefully Simple are all represented in my 'hood. It is crazy. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • image jnksmom:
    I don't understand it either. My neighborhood is full of women who sell that stuff.   I think Mary Kay, Avon, Scentsy, Park Lane and Premier Jewelry, 31, origami owl,  Pampered Chef, Tastefully Simple are all represented in my 'hood. It is crazy. 

I will admit I did once do a premier jewelry party. Sad

But I still get discounted jewelry for myself every once in a while off that one so I keep that contact. No more parties though. I felt so awkward.

Formerly known as KJLx121.
  • My BFF's mom, who has done a dozen of these things, used to do the fake compliment thing with her regional director.  They would go to a restaurant, compliment the waitress on her eyes, and then try to sell her makeup.

My BFF said the worst one was when she and her new husband were at church and a nice couple asked them over to their home for dinner.  She was all excited to meet new people and was flattered that this couple wanted to get to know them better, when the couple giving them red flags about " exciting business opportunities ".  It turned out the other couple really didn't want to be their friend, they just wanted to make a buck.  My BFF said she was honestly hurt a little bit.  Here she was thinking another couple was actually interested in them and wanted to be better friends, but nope they were just trying to sell them something. 

• MrsMuqMrsMuq
    2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its First Answer

In the last month, I've been approached about some sort of direct sales BS. Twice from family members (who I flat out told I wasn't interested in the products or the free samples), one college flatmate, and one former colleague.

My mom falls for this crap all the time - not the direct sales thing - but hosting parties. She's had a Mary Kay, Scentsy, Lea Sophia, and some sort of purse party, all in maybe the last 3 months. It's insane.

"The strong look for more strength; the weak look for excuses."

Married July 2009, Furbaby adopted Sept. 2010, DS born June 2012