Success after IF

sleep/nap advice needed, please :(

C sleeps through the night and I'm so very grateful for that but we're running in to some problems that I think are caused by napping. He was on a 6pm to 6 am schedule overnight but lately the bedtime and the wake time get earlier and earlier. First he was up at 5:45, then it went to 5:30, then 5:15, and this morning 4:40am! What!?!

So I feel like I need to start pushing his bedtime back but he only naps and hour in the morning and then MAYBE an hour in the afternoon but usually more like 30mins. He's not happy when he wakes up from a nap that's only 30 mins. If I try to put him down again later he fights it like crazy. He is teething but this sleep stuff has been getting worse and worse for some time. Sometimes I take him in the car for a drive in the afternoon and he may catch a quick little nap otherwise our afternoons are awful!

Any tips? I'm struggling :(

TTC#1 since oct 2009, DOR
IUI #1-3 (jan-mar 2011), all BFN 
IVF #1 oct 2011, BFN      
IVF #2: dec 2011, BFFN
FET #1: feb 8, 2012, BFP!!!  chibaby born october 29, 2012!

TTC #2
FET #2  sept 5, 2013-BFFN
new RE
IVF #3    feb 2014-BFFN again...
Headed to CCRM 
IVF #4 oct 2014 

Re: sleep/nap advice needed, please :(

• ccamccam
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary

DS had a stretch where he was getting up super early in the am (same schedule as you - 6 to 6), but it was just a phase.  We tried keeping him up a little later, but the same thing happened.  He did end up going back to his 6 to 6 schedule eventually.

For naps, sometimes he'll sit up, whine a little, even stand up at around the 45 minute / hour mark and I know he's not ready, especially if he's crying.  So, honestly, I leave him.  Unless he's crying a lot and I sense there is something wrong, he usually ends up plopping back down and sleeping another hour.  If DS wakes up from a nap in a bad mood, I know he didn't sleep enough.  How long do you let him whine?  Do you go right in and get him up? 

We also had to extend the time between naps, too.  When does he go down for naps?

I'm not sure how much actual advice that is!  It could be the teeth, too.  Do you give him Tylenol or Advil during the day?

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Pregnancy Ticker 

•  Can you combine his nap times to one a day so maybe he will take a longer nap in the evening? At 9 months DS went down to one nap a day (due to DC). I never thought he would adjust to that, but one two and a half hour nap worked better for him than two small ones did. 

I have no advice really, just wanted to wish you good luck with this situation. I will say for us, DS didn't sleep through the night until he was over 12 months old so you are already doing better than I was at that age. 

After 4 years, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs our surprise miracle is here!
    My Blog

TTC # 2 BFP 03/02/13 = CP, BFP 05/14/13 = CP, BFP 08/09/13 = CP

RPL testing = normal

TI Cycle #1, 50 clomid days 3-7, 150 iu Follistim days 8-11 = BFP! EDD May 22, 2014

Betas: 13 DPO = 79, 15 DPO = 149, 19 DPO = 788, 22 DPO = 2031

• I am sorry you are going through sleep issues.  My LO's were on a similar schedule & went through a spell like this.  I tried reducing to one nap but they just were not ready.  I wish I had some wise words for you but the best I can come up with is this too will pass.  I just found that changing the schedule didn't solve things for me, I waited it out & they just got past the bump & went back to "normal" eventually.  I did not come running if they were waking earlier, hard to do, but I tried to get them to self sooth some.  I hope things improve soon!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thank you ladies for your advice and sharing your experiences. Right now he is getting up most days around 5:30 and then literally falling over needing a nap by 8am. He'll sleep from 8-9am and then will take a second nap from 12-12:30 or 1 and then that's it. If I try for another nap (even if it's a short one) later, he screams and cries and totally fights it which tells me he's wants 2 naps but I feel like he's not sleeping long enough in the other naps to go to 2 naps. This means by 5:30-6pm he's exhausting and ready for bed.

I'm not rushing upstairs as soon as I hear him but I do go up when I hear those real, serious tears. Also I haven't given him Tylenol or Advil during the day but that probably would help with his teeth. I know they are bothering him. Poor guy! :(

Thanks again ladies! I know it will get better eventually but I just didn't want to be creating bad habits. 

IVF #1 oct 2011, BFN      

TTC #2
    new RE
    Headed to CCRM 
    IVF #4 oct 2014 

• Honestly I think it's just a stage. DS has always slept 7:30 - 7 but for a period he woke up at 5:30 for like a week. Staying up later doesn't help, just makes for a grumpy baby at the end of the day. I'm sure C will be back to himself soon. Between teething and what not it just needs to pass. I would still just try to stick to your normal schedule even though you will be a little tired until C gets through it.

image imageimage

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

• How old is lo?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

SAIF on cycle 14, IUI #2, with 2% morph DX

~~Congrats to my fellow (former) 3T-ers in the 'D' - Firewife9278 & UMichGirl ~~

• he'll be 9 months next monday.
    IVF #1 oct 2011, BFN      

TTC #2
    new RE
    Headed to CCRM 
    IVF #4 oct 2014 

• We had sleep issues around 9 months, which I hear is pretty with all the new skills they are learning. I think this too, shall pass...

But in the meantime, maybe try to extend bedtime a little later, and naps, by like 15 minutes every few days? Dd went through a time where she was up earlier no matter her bedtime and it sucks, so sorry!

And I'm a firm believer in good daytime sleep equals good nighttime sleep, but maybe to get back on track try delaying the naps as much as possible so he's extra tired at night?

I forget the sleep times by age, but maybe he isn't needing as long at night, so a later bedtime may help. And if you do put him down later at night, can you just rock him when he wakes up early to keep him sleepy as long as possible? Or maybe something light to eat and right back to sleep?

I'm sorry, I have no real advice just passing along things we did at various stages when sleep got disrupted. Good luck!!!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

SAIF on cycle 14, IUI #2, with 2% morph DX

~~Congrats to my fellow (former) 3T-ers in the 'D' - Firewife9278 & UMichGirl ~~

• image chiwifey:

Thank you ladies for your advice and sharing your experiences. Right now he is getting up most days around 5:30 and then literally falling over needing a nap by 8am. He'll sleep from 8-9am and then will take a second nap from 12-12:30 or 1 and then that's it. If I try for another nap (even if it's a short one) later, he screams and cries and totally fights it which tells me he's wants 2 naps but I feel like he's not sleeping long enough in the other naps to go to 2 naps. This means by 5:30-6pm he's exhausting and ready for bed.

I'm not rushing upstairs as soon as I hear him but I do go up when I hear those real, serious tears. Also I haven't given him Tylenol or Advil during the day but that probably would help with his teeth. I know they are bothering him. Poor guy! :(

Thanks again ladies! I know it will get better eventually but I just didn't want to be creating bad habits. 

Hi Chiwifey, hugs!  Nap and sleep problems are no fun!

I don't know if I can be of much help, but I can recommend the Ferber book - it has tons of information on sleep and naps (not just on sleep training/CIO, but lots of facts).  It has specific chapters dedicated to early wake-ups, as well as other nap issues.  You can take it out from the library if you don't want to spend $ buying another book.

I have a few thoughts.  Sounds like C sleeps close to 12 hours/night.  At this age, our LOs need about 14 hrs of sleep per day.  M on average sleeps btw 13-14hrs/day.  If C is on the "lower" end, say 13 hours, that means he's getting MOST of his sleep at night time.  So even though he's tired during the day, he can't sleep more than an hour or 2 at most.  (Again, Ferber explains this much better than I do in his book.)

So I think what you'll need to work on, is to move his bedtime a little later (no more than 15 minutes) at a time.  But you also need to move back his ENTIRE sleep schedule throughout the day. So you need to push back his first nap, as well as his 2nd nap.  Also, is it possible to extend the awake time first thing in the morning?  If you can push it to 8:30 or even 9am before he takes his first nap, perhaps he can nap a little longer?

M went from 3 naps to 2 about 3 weeks ago.  Right now, M wakes up at 6:30'ish, and goes down for his first nap around 10am and naps for 2 hours.  He then is up for another 3-3.5 hrs before his second nap around 3:30pm, and naps for 1.5-2 hrs.  Bedtime for him is around 8:15pm. 

I don't know if this helps or not, but as I said, the Ferber book, "solve your child's sleep problem," is really helpful for me in terms of getting M on a decent nap/sleep schedule.  

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • pb, thanks! First of all I heart M's schedule! :) I wish C would do that. But it does seem like he likes the majority of his sleep at night but it makes our days miserable sometimes. I'm going to try and bump his bedtime and all naps forward a bit at a time. I think I have the Ferber book on my kindle but it's so hard to read and "flip" through on that thing. Maybe I'll go check at the library. 

Thanks again to everyone! It doesn't help that these darn BCPs that I'm on for the FET are still giving me crazy awful headaches! I can't wait to be finished with these things! 

IVF #1 oct 2011, BFN      

TTC #2
    new RE
    Headed to CCRM 
    IVF #4 oct 2014 

• mg0202mg0202
    2500 Comments 250 Love Its Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    We had something similar.  She was waking up around 6, then it was 530, 515, 500, when it got to that point we moved her bedtime back.  She was going to bed around 7 and we slowly moved it so now it is close to 8.  She sleeps until 630ish.  So still about the same amount of sleep, just not waking up so early.  Good luck, sleep issues have been the hardest thing for us.

ttc since 05/2010 with PCOS and MFI
    2 IUI's = BFN
    IVF with ICSI, ER 11/28/2011 ET 12/03/2011 1 blast transferred
    4 snowbabies
    BFP! EDD 08/20/2012
    Everyone Welcome
    baby girl joined us 8/23/2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Chiwifey, hope your headaches go away soon!  I know I'm super lucky to have such a good sleeper/napper on my hands. I count my blessings every day, and I know he will go into sleep regression anytime!
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • Oh wise, pb, I love your response! It's very helpful! We aren't having early wake problems but it was nice to see the reminder of how much sleep LO needs. Sophie currently gets 11 hrs at night and then has been taking a 2 hr nap and then been taking a shorter nap later in the day. Good to know her sleep, though on the lower end, is still considered normal.

TTC#1: 4/2010 - Me: 31 DH: 31 – unexplained
    9 medicated/monitored cycles = BFN | IVF 1.2 = BFP!!
    Beta#1: 162 | Beta#2: 535 | Beta#3: 2,445 | Beta#4: >9,000!

Sophie Joy was born 2/10/2013

TTC#2: 2/2014 - pre-testing completed to prepare for FET#1. Surprise BFP the cycle before FET!!
    Beta#1: 301 | Beta#2: 612 | Beta#3: 3,200 | Beta#4: >11,000!

Praying for my sister, RunCC37, to have her own miracle!

• mcgeevamcgeeva
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2013

image imageimage

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards