February 2013 Moms

How many hours sleep?

How many hours of sleep does your LO typically get in a 24 hour period? Before our recent sleep issues (3 nights of constant wakings...ugh), she was typically doing 13-15 hours of sleep. She would do 11 or 12 overnight and then 3ish naps that were each about 45 minutes, but could randomly go up to 1.5 hours. I just started Ferber's book and he says that a 6 month old baby, which DD will be in a week, should sleep 11.25-13.25 hours/24. Based on what DD was doing, that doesn't seem like enough sleep to me.

I guess I'm just concerned that DD is sleeping too much? (Is that even really a thing? It doesn't seem right that a LO could sleep too much...)

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: How many hours sleep?

• I would think that a baby could sleep "too much" during the day and then have trouble sleeping at night, but too much overall seems off to me.

DS sleeps from 7 or 8p until 6 or 6:30a with one or two wake ups. Then he takes about 2 to 3 hours of naps during the day, so probably 13 to 15 total hours?
    BFP #1: 12.30.11, MC 1.6.12 at 5w; BFP #2: 5.25.12, DS born 2.1.13; BFP #3: 9.4.14, MMC 10.13.14 at 9w
    Chart Linky
  • DS sleeps 13.5-14 hours in a 24 hour period. He usually gets 11-12 hours of night sleep and 3 naps a day of about 45 minutes. Sometimes he'll still do 4 naps of 30 minutes but for the last week or so he seems to be consolidating down to 3 (yay!) 

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• DD is not quite 6mos, but she's still getting 14-15 hours of sleep per 24hr period. I wouldn't worry about it. I think if you read other sleep books they'll give you a different range. It's frustrating! But, I say if they're happy and healthy and don't wake up screaming, you're good. ;-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He sleeps about 16 hours in a 24 hour period and I think that's too much but my pedi says I'm blessed with a good sleeper
  • DS goes to bed between 6:30-7 and wakes up between 5:30-6:15. So around 11 hours at night. His naps are changing up on me. For the past week he was averaging 3-3.5 hours of naps broken up between three naps. It used to be four thirty minute naps, so it was only 2 hours of daytime sleep. But right now the new normal is 14-14.5 of sleep in 24 hours. It's outside of Ferber's range, but DS is a happy baby and generally only wakes up once at night to eat, so I'm OK with it.
  • My LO usually takes 2 naps anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours and then he gets tired between 8:30 and 9:30. As soon as the eyes rubs start and his eyes get red we put him down and sleeps till 6:30 when he has to get ready to go to Grandmas
    photo 9304f105-c1e0-4769-a5f5-66ebac0208e2.jpg
  • image asoetenga:
    He sleeps about 16 hours in a 24 hour period and I think that's too much but my pedi says I'm blessed with a good sleeper

This!  We have good babies :) 

• DD was sleeping 11-14 overnight with three 30-60 minute naps and a couple cat naps here and there.

Now she is 10-14 overnight with two 30-60 minute (sometimes broken up) naps and maybe one cat nap here or there.

I was worried before that she was sleeping too much and now I worry that she is not sleeping enough.(four month wakeful and I drink coffee more regularly now)

I think they know what they need. I try to follow her lead and not to get too hung up about it. I am a natural worrier though, from a long line of worriers.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Different kids have different needs in terms of sleep.  I would only worry about too much napping if the nighttime sleep was suffering.  
    Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."

imageView Full Size Image
    Jack 04/29/10 dairy peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism
    Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
    Lilypie - (cF7R) Lilypie - (Phka)

"We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards