Success after IF

Feeling guilty about weaning...

As of now, Grace is EBF. My goal since pregnancy was to EBF until 6 months and then wean to solids and formula.

I have been content with this plan from day 1, but lately I've started feeling guilty. I don't LOVE bfing, I've continued with it because of the benefits for baby. Selfishly, I miss my body. After back to back cycles of IVF + pregnancy + EBF for these past few months, I need a break! 6 months can't come soon enough.

Did anyone else feel guilty not letting baby self wean from the breast? It doesn't help that DH is VERY pro-BF, more for benefits for baby than money. I think his opinion has made me feel even more guilty.

Also- I have built quite a freezer stash. In your opinion, do you think I should give G one bottle of pumped BM until she is 10-12 months OR feed her all BM bottles from the stash for month #7 and then wean her to formula? WWYD? 

dx: MFI 0% morph & low count. Occasional Anovulatory cycles.

TTC #1
  • IVF #1 4/21/12 - c/p
  • IVF#2 8/1/12 - BFP! DD arrived 4/10/2013.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
  • FET #1 3/18/14 - BFP! DS arrived 11/19/2014.

Re: Feeling guilty about weaning...

• kaf7kaf7 member
    I am feeling super guilty right now about the plan to wean next week. I'm in the other camp though where I enjoy breastfeeding. I am interested in the answers to your other question though. I have about 300400oz stored in the freezer which will last about 10 days if we go just ebm and then straight to formula. I think LO is going to transition easier if we mix it up a little though.
  • mnj05mnj05 member
    I didn't love it either and was forced to stop due to supply at 3 weeks. I felt guilty because everyone seemed to be in the "it's what you're supposed to do" camp. It was more pity for H than anything I felt like I got from people, like formula wasn't good enough. DH was also pro BF but not horribly so and when I talked to him about not loving it and needing to quit because of my supply he was totally supportive.

I don't have advice on weaning as we had been supplementing all along. My SIL EBF for 9 months then had to supplement because my niece had low iron. She still nursed before naps and bed but gave formula the rest of the day. She's in the process of weaning 1st birthday is in 9 days so she's cut out one nursing session. I think her plan is to cut one out for a week, cut another the second week, and the last one the third week.

I hope the weaning goes well and try not to feel bad about it!

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Loading the player...
  • I starting weaning DD at 6 months and did a very slow weaning. I dropped one feeding per week so it took 8 weeks to wean. I fed one bottle of BM from my frozen stash a day until it was gone.

I weaned in order to TTC my second child. I felt not only guilty but I also missed BFing especially when I saw other moms BFing. Most of my mom friends I met at LLL. Thankfully they understood and supported my decision. If I could have known that I would get pregnant so quickly, I probably would have BF longer

Edit I didn't mix BM and formula because DD wouldn't drink it mixed but she would drink straight BM or straight formula.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Don't feel guilty at all. You're looking to make the best decision for YOU. And a happy mom will equal a happy baby!

My plan was to stop at 4 months. But now I am thinking 6 if my supply will hold out. While I have not loved BFing at all it has gotten easier for me, which is the only reason I have pushed back my personal finish line. I totally understand wanting your body back. I long for the nights I can drink as much wine as I please, and I also long to go back to spin class and tone up after baby!
    Lastly I just want all of my clothes to fit normally again.

Good luck in whatever decision you reach.

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you all my love, I"m still looking up."
    TTC #1 since August 2011 MFI Diagnosis - April 2012
    IVF #1 - July 2012 - Stims start 7/2, ER 7/12, 20 retrieved, 16 mature, 13 fertilized!
    ET - 7/17 - 1 blast transferred. Beta - 7/26 273, Beta 2 7/30 - 1143. Beta 3 8/6 - 11,597
    12/25 - Santa tells us "IT'S A GIRL!" EDD - April 4th

Our Little Easter Bunny has arrived!

Molly Mildred born 03/31/13

TTC A Sibling....... FET #1 11/14/14, Transferred one beautiful blast

Remaining four frosties arrested due to "embryologist error"

Plllllleasssee stick little icicle.....Beta 11/23...BFN

Starting ALL over with a fresh IVF cycle

Stims start 11/28/14, ER December 10th, 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, only 4 fertilized 

1 Blast Transferred on December 15th..... Beta Christmas Eve... Please Santa, bring me a baby!

Beta #1 345.....Beta #2....750/ First U/S 1/13/15/HB 131....EDD 9/2/2015

• laura1laura1 member

Right there with you.  I didn't feel guilty with #1 - he was such a distracted eater it was a wrestling match to bf him, and we wanted to Ttc again.  I weaned him at 6 months then immediately got pg again with DD1.  I had a 1 month break between bfing and being pg again.

With DD1, I had basically been pg or bfing for 2.5 years, when I weaned her at 7 months.  Again, didn't feel guilty - I was done and wanted my body back.

Now, I am weaning DD2.  I feel badly this time, since she is my last baby, so I am weaning her slowly.  Dropping one feed a week.  Now down to 2 bfs a day.  This way I will get close to 8 months and still have a freezer stash.  I think when I am done, she will get one bottle of bm a day for a while.  She doesn't seem to mind at all :)  

Good luck - my other 2 did fine on 6-7 months of bfing, and I am sure yours will too! 

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm in camp do-what-works-for-your-family. Formula is an excellent source of nutrition. I have no judgement, and for my pumping sisters -let's be honest, pumping sucks. 

Im really digging the breastfeeding. Im in no hurry to wean. Part of it is how hard J and I worked to make it happen (around 8w). The other thing is I put around 50lbs on with the pregnancy and BFing has melted off the weight! I'm able to eat anything and my boobs are amazing!

I realize this isn't the story for everyone, but I think your child will be fine regardless of what you do in regards to feeding. 

For those of you debating the distribution of the freezer stash, I was planning to ration it out to maximize the length of time BM would be given to J.  

TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• Same here!!  I am going to wean at 6 as well and I started feeling sad / guilty about it.  I am with you on wanting a break and it wasn't easy to get here with BF (I am puming 100%). 

I hope we can both say "WE DID IT!!!!!" instead of feeling guilty when the day comes. 

Mar-Apr-May/12: All 3 IUI (w/ Femara) - BFN

May/12 IVF journey in the works...
    IVF #1 w/ ICSI #1 (Gonal, Menopur & Ganirelix)
    5/29-6/18: BCP, 6/21-6/27: Stim, 6/30: ER
    7/5: ET 2 5-days blastocysts are transferred, none made to freeze :(
    7/17: Beta #1 - 616!!, 7/23: Beta #2 - 6818
    8/2: u/s #1 - a healthy seahorse found & one empty sac, 8/16: u/s #2 - one peanut! HB @ 180
    10/30: It's a girl!!! EDD: 3/23/13

IVF & Miracle baby blog!
    My Cherry Blossom baby

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"