October 2013 Moms

No family baby shower, bummed out

I'm going to quickly whine and you ladies can tell me if I need to get over myself. So my Aunt offered to throw me a family baby shower back in June with about 12-15 of our female relatives. She never asked about a date and I didn't want to be rude and bring it up so my mom told me just to wait and it would all get figured out. Well my mom talked to my aunt yesterday and basically she went on and on about how busy she is planning this 90th birthday for a relative on her husbands side and never mentioned the baby shower so my mom said to assume it is not happening. I am bummed out because I was looking forward to seeing the family on both sides before baby arrives. Also it's a bit awkward because I am worried many of my family members that we don't talk to all the time will just think they were snubbed and not invited to a shower, but I can't exactly call them and say "hey, I'm not having a shower because no one is hosting, sorry!"

Anyways I am a little hurt by my moms indifference and a little concerned about the situation but I guess it is best just to let it go. My sister (with help from my mom) is throwing me a wonderful shower September 7th with about 25 of my girl friends. Her house is small though and she had asked that we do a friends shower separate from family, which I was and am totally fine it. Luckily it means I still get to celebrate the excitement with people I love, just hoping I don't hurt any family members feelings! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: No family baby shower, bummed out

• Nobody even asked your aunt about it? You're just going off an assumption? Maybe she's going off the assumption that you don't want to do it because you haven't said anything to her about it! Communication is key!

• ohkayohkay member
    imageMama2be12345:
    I'm going to quickly whine and you ladies can tell me if I need to get over myself. So my Aunt offered to throw me a family baby shower back in June with about 1215 of our female relatives. She never asked about a date and I didn't want to be rude and bring it up so my mom told me just to wait and it would all get figured out. Well my mom talked to my aunt yesterday and basically she went on and on about how busy she is planning this 90th birthday for a relative on her husbands side and never mentioned the baby shower so my mom said to assume it is not happening. I am bummed out because I was looking forward to seeing the family on both sides before baby arrives. Also it's a bit awkward because I am worried many of my family members that we don't talk to all the time will just think they were snubbed and not invited to a shower, but I can't exactly call them and say "hey, I'm not having a shower because no one is hosting, sorry!" Anyways I am a little hurt by my moms indifference and a little concerned about the situation but I guess it is best just to let it go. My sister with help from my mom is throwing me a wonderful shower September 7th with about 25 of my girl friends. Her house is small though and she had asked that we do a friends shower separate from family, which I was and am totally fine it. Luckily it means I still get to celebrate the excitement with people I love, just hoping I don't hurt any family members feelings!nbsp;

This may seem rude to some, but I would ask your aunt if she is still wanting to throw a shower. She had already showed interest in throwing one. I don't see a problem with following up and asking.
  • Loading the player...
  • ohkayohkay member
    This may seem rude to some, but I would ask your aunt if she is still wanting to throw a shower. She had already showed interest in throwing one. I don't see a problem with following up and asking. If she acts like she has a lot going on, I wouldn't push it.
  • Thanks for the advice guys, I don't talk to my aunt very often unless we are at a function together or calling for a specific reason so I'd feel rude calling just to ask about the shower. Our extended family is weird, everyone is very formal and we don't get together that often, just holidays and celebrations, so part of why I was looking forward to it. I'm considering doing a little dinner just for my grandmas and my DH's grandma just so they get to be involved, not a shower, just something to acknowledge them before LO comes. I guess I'll just see how I feel in September.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • bwralcbwralc member
    Your Mom should ask this aunt. She offered to throw the shower, your Mom can just call to find out details etc. maybe even she can call offering to help.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mae208Mae208 member
    imagebwralc:
    Your Mom should ask this aunt. She offered to throw the shower, your Mom can just call to find out details etc. maybe even she can call offering to help.

This is my thought too. And if your mom won't call her, then you may as well just call her yourself. It was rude of your aunt to say she would throw one, and then just completely drop it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It sounds like your aunt spoke too soon. I understand being disappointed but the situation is really out of your hands.

• ohkayohkay member
    imageMama2be12345:
    Thanks for the advice guys, I don't talk to my aunt very often unless we are at a function together or calling for a specific reason so I'd feel rude calling just to ask about the shower. Our extended family is weird, everyone is very formal and we don't get together that often, just holidays and celebrations, so part of why I was looking forward to it. I'm considering doing a little dinner just for my grandmas and my DH's grandma just so they get to be involved, not a shower, just something to acknowledge them before LO comes. I guess I'll just see how I feel in September.

I think a dinner is a great idea!
  • ohkayohkay member
    imageMama2be12345:
    Thanks for the advice guys, I don't talk to my aunt very often unless we are at a function together or calling for a specific reason so I'd feel rude calling just to ask about the shower. Our extended family is weird, everyone is very formal and we don't get together that often, just holidays and celebrations, so part of why I was looking forward to it. I'm considering doing a little dinner just for my grandmas and my DH's grandma just so they get to be involved, not a shower, just something to acknowledge them before LO comes. I guess I'll just see how I feel in September.

I think a dinner is a great idea!
  • Is there a chance it's a surprise? My family LOVES having surprise baby showers. Otherwise, I agree with pp that you should push your mom to ask what's going on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Maybe its going to be a big surprise? 
    image  image
    Baby Muffy Due July.8.2015!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"