August 2012 Moms

would you??

Would you take a 15k pay cut if you felt strongly you could make a path for yourself at the new company and makeup for that over the course of three years professionally?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: would you??

• Honestly it depends. Granted you are getting an answer from a SAHM, but it would depend on if that money were necessary toward finances or not. If it is all just money that would be saved anyways, depending on how much savings you had I would go for it, but if you need that money to get by I think I would pass personally.
    imageimageimage

• I think it would depend on how much that pay cut would affect your finances. If 15k isn't going to make your current finances tight, and you can still afford at least all of the necessities, I guess I might consider it. I think looking at the big picture is important. Personally, though, since I'm starting to think about TTC #2 now I am kind of stuck thinking in present financial terms so I probably would pass on that.

There are lots of variables to this situation. I'm sure you and YH will figure out the best solution for your family!

• If I was unhappy, yes.

If it was going to destroy me financially, no. I mean, there's no guarantee in three years I'd be able to make that up...just a strong feeling. Strong feelings don't pay the bills.

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• image bigbootyjudi:
    If I was unhappy, yes.If it was going to destroy me financially, no. I mean, there's no guarantee in three years I'd be able to make that up...just a strong feeling. Strong feelings don't pay the bills.

Pretty much this. I've lived it too. Two and a half years with the company and I quit. Of course it was after maternity leave, emotions running high, but my raise in that second year didn't increase more than 1 percent and I had two title changes/ promotions within that year. Nothing is written in stone.

• Personally, no. It is definitely all about finances for me. While advancement is great, I just wouldn't be able to take that kind of a cut without some kind of guarantee. I understand a $5k or less cut, but $15k is several tax brackets lower and we wouldn't survive. I would wait around until the right opportunity presented itself, or I would tell my current job the situation and see if they would find a way for me to advance.

• image sarzer121:
    Would you take a 15k pay cut if you felt strongly you could make a path for yourself at the new company and makeup for that over the course of three years professionally?

I did just this when I left my old job to get my PhD.  My old job paid $15k more than the stipend I get.  BUT, my school is paid for and I'll make up for the pay cut when I get a job.  Finances have definitely been tight since DH struggled to find a job out here.  We are actually hoping I get permission to move back to MO during my last semester since I'll just be writing up my dissertation.  We'll save around $9K across the 5 months we'll be home.  It'll be rough living with his parents but worth it financially.  We'll buy the groceries and pay some of the utilities with whatever DH makes at the job he'll have out there, but we'll still save money compared to what we pay in AZ. 

"To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue...gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness."
  • I would, especially if you can afford to take a 15k hit and you would make up for it in time. If you are sure you'd be happier in the long run, then it is worth it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog: Toronto Mama
  • image LiliDragon:
    I would, especially if you can afford to take a 15k hit and you would make up for it in time. If you are sure you'd be happier in the long run, then it is worth it.

This.

Not even close to the same situation, but DH took a pay cut at the new school. However, we felt like that pay cut would balance out with not having to buy another house, and me going back to work. He was already verbally told that next year's salary would be quite a bit more. <---- but we all know how that goes.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • if you are unhappy at your current job and you can take the 15k cut then I say go for it!! No used staying somewhere you are not happy or are stuck with no hope of promotion or job growth.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker