Baby Names

You're saying it wrong round two

I guess we didn't all agree about Emmyleigh yesterday so how about this one. My little brothers friend just had her daughter a few days ago. Bayylei. Being pronounced bailey. Besides the obvious double y how would you say this one? I read lei like the Hawaiian lei not lee. So in my eyes Bayylei =/= bailey.
What do you think?
Anniversary
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
 BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

Re: You're saying it wrong round two

• I read it as Bailey.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• That spelling for real makes my eyes hurt.

As far as the pronunciation---I mean, yeah, phonetically, you're right. But looking at the stupidity that is that spelling, my first thought is, "I see what you're trying to do here." So I'd pronounce it Bailey.

Unless I felt like being a d!ck. Then I'd "mispronounce" it on purpose.

My sister has a friend who purposefully mispronounces Jaxon "JAY-zon," which I think is hilarious.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesunlavender:
    I read it as Bailey.

Maybe I am just too picky and judgemental of all these young couples I know naming their children these unique names. I hate being the only one my age who thinks using properly spelled names is a good idea. Haha
    Anniversary

• imageJoy2611:
    I didn't respond to your thread yesterday and I probably should have since I'm weird about pronunciations :I totally agree that Emmyleigh emmielee is not the same as Emily ehmehlee.I would also read Bayylei as baylay not baylee, but that "lei" can do weird things.nbsp; Lorelei is loreehlie. nbsp; PS: WTF was so wrong with Bailey?nbsp; Because yikes.

Thank you! Haha. It is true about lei when you put it that way though.
    Anniversary

• I am literally angry someone would spell their kid's name like that....please let her know she's an idiot for me, k?
  • imageprovwife:
    I am literally angry someone would spell their kid's name like that....please let her know she's an idiot for me, k?

Based on the comments on her Facebook photos about this name I think she already knows haha.
    Anniversary

• imageScarlett&Gatsby:

That spelling for real makes my eyes hurt.

As far as the pronunciation---I mean, yeah, phonetically, you're right. But looking at the stupidity that is that spelling, my first thought is, "I see what you're trying to do here." So I'd pronounce it Bailey.

Same here.  But the double y, seriously.  I don't get why people mess with the spelling in ways that don't occur naturally in the English language.

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • imagealyssaames:
    imageprovwife:
    I am literally angry someone would spell their kid's name like that....please let her know she's an idiot for me, k?

Based on the comments on her Facebook photos about this name I think she already knows haha.

Lol..good! I still feel terrible for the kid though...she has a LIFETIME with that spelling...hopefully they change it..
  • CoIvieCoIvie member
    imageBlueDot818:
    I read that one as Bailey, but also roll my eyes and think why couldn't you just spell it correctly?

This
  • That's flucking terrible, first off.

Second, by default I automatically went to Bailey. However, I usually say lay when I see Lei or Leigh spellings. Because the "ei" usually makes an "a" sound.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• I've been with you on both of them. Because of you know, phonics.

Bay-lay

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • That poor child. I'd love to see some of the facebook comments. Can you post them for entertainment purposes? Haha. I'm actually happy that people spoke up about it instead of just going with it.

TTC 17 months, Dx: MFI (morph = 1,) Endo. Surprise BFP after HSG!
  • imageJoy2611:

I didn't respond to your thread yesterday and I probably should have since I'm weird about pronunciations :-)

I totally agree that Emmyleigh (emmie-lee) is not the same as Emily (ehm-eh-lee).

I would also read Bayylei as bay-lay not bay-lee, but that "lei" can do weird things.  Lorelei is lore-eh-lie.  

PS: WTF was so wrong with Bailey?  Because yikes.

this x1000

• imageLtlAngL:
    That poor child. I'd love to see some of the facebook comments. Can you post them for entertainment purposes? Haha. I'm actually happy that people spoke up about it instead of just going with it.

They mostly ask for her to pronounce it then she writes just like Bailey with some sort of smiley face. However one person responded to it saying...

"Then why not call her Bailey? She is going to have to constantly spell/pronounce her name for everybody. I have to and I hate it and I know you used to complain about not having the second N in your name like you should."  

She hasn't responded. I had to edit the quote for spelling. Haha.  Also her name is Quin so I am assuming he means people always spell it Quinn right off and she had to correct him. 

PS This girl has a sister about my age who has a daughter named Kaydence and if it was a boy he would have been Kameraon. Haha. 

Anniversary

• imagealyssaames:
    imagesunlavender:
    I read it as Bailey.
    Maybe I am just too picky and judgemental of all these young couples I know naming their children these unique names. I hate being the only one my age who thinks using properly spelled names is a good idea. Haha

Yup, I think you nailed it. People are all over the place with spellings and pronunciations these days

• imageScarlettGatsby:
    As far as the pronunciationI mean, yeah, phonetically, you're right. But looking at the stupidity that is that spelling, my first thought is, "I see what you're trying to do here." So I'd pronounce it Bailey

This

• imageScarlett&Gatsby:

That spelling for real makes my eyes hurt.

Exactly this. It looks like a 'special' spelling, so I'd assume they were trying for Bailey.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"