February 2013 Moms

Should I keep the high chair?

Our high chair, itself, is great but its very presence is a little bit annoying.  We're reconfiguring our breakfast nook a bit, building a bench along the back wall and DH is building us a bigger table.  For the sake of space, I kind of want to just nix the high chair and get one of those seats that clips on to the table, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Chicco-Caddy-Hook-Chair-Red/dp/B000A7V1EM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374343372&sr=8-2&keywords=clip+on+high+chair

A) high chairs take up room and, invariably, DS1 puts the brakes on when I don't want him to and then I bang into it

B) I have to sweep and mop a lot and the high chair is just another thing I have to move in order to do so

Can anyone give me a good reason why I shouldn't CL this thing? 

Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."

imageView Full Size Image
Jack 04/29/10 dairy peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism
Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
Lilypie - (cF7R) Lilypie - (Phka)

"We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

Re: Should I keep the high chair?

• We have this exact one. B doesn't like it much but I think it's because the back is higher than her neck. We use it sometimes at restaurants. We put something between the table and the caddy to protect her head when she decides to lean against the table. We haven't started solids yet so right now it's just to hold her while we eat. I know in the future she'll love it. It's a good cheap buy!
    If you have a babies r us close it was 29.99 there when we bought it a month ago.

Together since July 21 2002

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• image sjames2:
    We have this exact one. B doesn't like it much but I think it's because the back is higher than her neck. We use it sometimes at restaurants. We put something between the table and the caddy to protect her head when she decides to lean against the table. We haven't started solids yet so right now it's just to hold her while we eat. I know in the future she'll love it. It's a good cheap buy! If you have a babies r us close it was 29.99 there when we bought it a month ago.

Well, geeze.  $30?  I'm so glad you told me that.  For $50 I was going to need justification but for $30 I'll just buy it and give it a try.  Thanks!!! :) 

Jack 04/29/10 dairy peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism

"We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

• Personally, I cannot recommend them. We got one as a travel high chair for DD1. I think we found one table out of about 6 that we tried that it fits on. I don't really know how to describe the problem in words, but if beneath the table it's not flat (like if there's a vertical panel going down even a few inches or a support-board running around the bottom of the table), then it won't fit.

Also, between DD and the table there was about a 5-inch gap, so everything just fell down as she tried to pull it towards herself. 

Right now, that high chair is gathering dust in a corner and we have one of the more traditional travel booster seats that we're now using for DD1. For DD2 we'll get another one of the same kind for travel.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• image kelly321:

Personally, I cannot recommend them. We got one as a travel high chair for DD1. I think we found one table out of about 6 that we tried that it fits on. 

My friend lent us one with DD1.  Her exact words were, "If you can get this to work, you can have it."  Just like Kelly, we found it to be such a PITA with finding a fit that I felt secure with.

• The chicco 360 clip on chair is what we have, and we LOVE it. It comes with a tray, and fits on pretty much any table.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • We borrowed one with DS1 and like pps said, it didn't hook properly on our (or anyone else's) table b/c of the piece of wood on the underneath side of the table.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We were going to get one like that, but I heard a lot of negative reviews about it. We ended up getting this: http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Space-Saver-Chair-Scatterbug/dp/B002OOWAK8

We LOVE it. We haven't fed our LO in it yet, but we have her sit up at the table with us while we eat. It doesn't take up the floor space the highchair does and it can be packed up so easily. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

~I have a baby in heaven 3-20-12~
  • We have a small kitchen breakfast table and not a lot of space for a full blown high chair on wheels. So we opted for a good middle ground high chair and it worked put great. My almost 2 yr old can still use it while my almost 6 month old lounges in it. She will already be used to it when we start solids in a couple weeks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006I0R0UE

Sorry canit make it clicky on mobile.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • We have one and we like it. DD likes to sit in it because she thinks it's fun. It fits fine on our table, but I could see it having problems with certain tables. We just transitioned her to a bumbo booster seat that sits in the chair. It has safety clips (it clips onto the chair) and a safety belt for her. We have the Fisher Price high chair that sits on a regular chair for when DS starts solids. We used it with DD and love it! It only takes up the space of the chair, has different reclining positions (we put DS in it now, reclined, so he can sit at the table with us), and can also be a booster.
    imageimageimage
  • I had one for my daughter and loved it.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

• image KayLorraine:

We were going to get one like that, but I heard a lot of negative reviews about it. We ended up getting this: http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Space-Saver-Chair-Scatterbug/dp/B002OOWAK8

We LOVE it. We haven't fed our LO in it yet, but we have her sit up at the table with us while we eat. It doesn't take up the floor space the highchair does and it can be packed up so easily. 

Ugh, we actually have that one and I hate it.  It was banished to the garage in favor of a full-size high chair. 

• I've been fighting with this issue for four years now.  Our high chair is so big and bulky and takes up so much room, and I don't even feed my tiny babies food, so it rarely gets used for its intended purpose.  We have a wooden baby chair that pulls up to our table that we put the kids in once they are close to a year, which is about the time they start eating food with us. 

The only reason I have decided to keep the hunk of junk for so long is because I need a place in my kitchen to put my babies while I'm cooking and where the other kids can't get to her.  I use the bouncy seat on the counter for now, but once she outgrows it, I need a new spot.  Since our high chair reclines a bit, it's the perfect place to put a five month old with some toys on the tray.  My older kids can't get to her like they could if she were down lower in an exersaucer on the kitchen floor.

But if we ever move and I have to make a decision about taking that thing with us, I think I'll get rid of it!