TTC After a Loss

Gardeners, Come In! (NTTCALR)

I'm curious to hear how you all support your tomatoes.  Last year was my first year, and I used cages, which I hated.  This year I tried doing the method that my dad uses, which is a wooden stake at each end of the row and twine tied every foot or so across the stakes to support the tomatoes.  The only problem is, the stakes I got are apparently awful and are starting to crack under the weight of my growing tomatoes!  I am wondering about getting some sort of metal stake, and maybe doing a rectangle of 4 around the row rather than just one on either end (and then twine around it every foot).  Any suggestions are welcome!!!

My Ovulation Chart
TTC since March 2012 
BFP #1 1/29/13, EDD 10/9/13 
MMC discovered at 10 weeks (baby measured 9 weeks) D&C on 3/16/13 
BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
BFP #3  8/11/14  EDD 4/22/14

Re: Gardeners, Come In! (NTTCALR)

• EKGibsEKGibs member

We have a wooden stake at every plant & use twine to tie the vines up. We had a huge storm come through night before last so yesterday morning I had to re-tie about 80 plants by myself.

I've never tried doing it like you said but staking every plant is not too bad. I is a lot of work though.

TTC since 4/28/07
    Diagnosed w/ endometriosis 12/2010 Laproscopic surgery & 6 months of Lupron
    BFP 12/17/2011,EDD 8/23/12,ectopic discovered 12/29/11 at 6 weeks recieved methotrexate
    Dec '12 HSG & ultrasound showed abnormalities & more endo. Laproscopic surgery in January '13 showed significant damage & scar tissue from Endo. IVF is our best shot to concieve our rainbow.

June '13 Decided to go the adoption route!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

imageimageFollow Me on Pinterestimageimageimage

***PGAL/PAL WELCOME***

• imagemlal78:
    I do tomato cages, they may not look pretty, but they have worked for me for the past eight years.nbsp; The ones I have now are fun colours, I have red, blue, green and yellow.

They don't fall down? I don't mind the look so much bc you can't even really see them once the plants get big, but several of mine fell over last year when they got big.

My Ovulation Chart
    TTC since March 2012 
    BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
  • Loading the player...
  • imageEKGibs:
    We have a wooden stake at every plant amp; use twine to tie the vines up. We had a huge storm come through night before last so yesterday morning I had to retie about 80 plants by myself. I've never tried doing it like you said but staking every plant is not too bad. I is a lot of work though.

Is it too late for me to do that if they are big now? Also, how big are your stakes and how tight do you tie them up? I'd love to see a pic if you happen to have one!

My Ovulation Chart
    TTC since March 2012 
    BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
  • imagemlal78:

imageLaRomana09:
    imagemlal78:
    I do tomato cages, they may not look pretty, but they have worked for me for the past eight years.nbsp; The ones I have now are fun colours, I have red, blue, green and yellow.

They don't fall down? I don't mind the look so much bc you can't even really see them once the plants get big, but several of mine fell over last year when they got big.

Nope, I have had some lean to one side, but I just up them and reseat the cage.

The big thing with them is that you have to make sure they are far enough down in the soil.  I push them down to the first ring as much as possible and they are fine for me.

We use cages for our tomato plants and stakes for our larger pepper plants. The tomatoes grew so fast and seemingly overnight that the cages are totally hidden and now useless. Next year we will be much more proactive about helping them grow up the cages and not out and down. It's only our second year with a garden so we are still learning what works in that space.

THE DARK SIDE IT IS

and GBCB

BFP 8/2/12 EDD 4/9/13 Addie was delivered 1/4/13 at 26 weeks due to Eclampsia  

BFP 9/15/14 EDD 5/28/15 Please be our R A I N B O W take home baby BOY

imageimageimageimage
    ~All AL always welcome~

• imagePoppy715:
    imagemlal78:

imageLaRomana09:
    imagemlal78:

The big thing with them is that you have to make sure they are far enough down in the soil.  I push them down to the first ring as much as possible and they are fine for me.

We use cages for our tomato plants and stakes for our larger pepper plants. The tomatoes grew so fast and seemingly overnight that the cages are totally hidden and now useless. Next year we will be much more proactive about helping them grow up the cages and not out and down. It's only our second year with a garden so we are still learning what works in that space.

Same here, 2nd year and learning from our mistakes. And I know what you mean about the tomatoes growing overnight. I spaced mine nice and far this year after making the mistake of putting them too close together last year...yet they are close together now because they just grew OUT. Oh well, it's a learning process!

My Ovulation Chart
    TTC since March 2012 
    BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
  • imageLaRomana09:
    imagePoppy715:
    imagemlal78:

imageLaRomana09:
    imagemlal78:

Same here, 2nd year and learning from our mistakes. And I know what you mean about the tomatoes growing overnight. I spaced mine nice and far this year after making the mistake of putting them too close together last year...yet they are close together now because they just grew OUT. Oh well, it's a learning process!

That's exactly what we did! We also have some plants behind them that are so sad and never get sun. The tomatoes are nuts. The weirdest part is we don't even like tomatoes. We might make salsa or sauce with them. Or just give them away. I've learned I just get too excited and plant too much. We tried to show some restraint this year but it doesn't seem much better.

THE DARK SIDE IT IS

and GBCB

BFP 8/2/12 EDD 4/9/13 Addie was delivered 1/4/13 at 26 weeks due to Eclampsia  

BFP 9/15/14 EDD 5/28/15 Please be our R A I N B O W take home baby BOY

imageimageimageimage
    ~All AL always welcome~

• EKGibsEKGibs member
    imageLaRomana09:
    imageEKGibs:
    We have a wooden stake at every plant amp; use twine to tie the vines up. We had a huge storm come through night before last so yesterday morning I had to retie about 80 plants by myself. I've never tried doing it like you said but staking every plant is not too bad. I is a lot of work though.

Is it too late for me to do that if they are big now? Also, how big are your stakes and how tight do you tie them up? I'd love to see a pic if you happen to have one!

I wouldn't think its too late. Our stakes are about 6 feet tall. I tie them tight enough that they stand upright but loose enough that they are not squished up against the stake. I'll try to remember to take a pic when I get home.
    TTC since 4/28/07
    BFP 12/17/2011,EDD 8/23/12,ectopic discovered 12/29/11 at 6 weeks recieved methotrexate
    Dec '12 HSG & ultrasound showed abnormalities & more endo. Laproscopic surgery in January '13 showed significant damage & scar tissue from Endo. IVF is our best shot to concieve our rainbow.

***PGAL/PAL WELCOME***

• We have cages for ours (we have 4), but ours aren't very big. Our biggest problem is that the squirrels love to eat our tomatoes and the cages help keep them out. We also have a stake in the middle to help support and I tuck the tomatoes back in if they start to grow outside.
    Multiple TTCAL 1image
     TTC #1 since March 2011 
    BFP #1: EDD 4/16/13~~blighted ovum w/ 2 gestational sacs~~Loss on 9/18/12
    BFP #2: EDD 9/3/13~~Slow HB at 1st U/S~~MMC -Loss on 2/13/13
    9/13, 10/13, 1/14: letrozole + trigger + TI = All BFNs
    3/14: IUI#1 letrozole/Bravelle/Menopur + trigger = BFN
    BFP #3: EDD 1/27/15 Please be our rainbow! ...Team Green

• I tried these a few years ago but ended up going back to cages, which I just found easier to deal with.  Both have been sufficiently supportive for my tomatoes.

https://viagrow.biz/product/viagrow-garden-tomato-cage-tiered/

I'm kind of interested in trying these, but the cost is pretty high compared to cages:

https://www.gardeners.com/Stacking-Tomato-Ladder-Supports/40-309,default,pd.html

Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesnegde:
    I use cages. This year I am using my mom's method. She stake a large post metal or wood at each end of her raised beds and then runs a large grid metal fencing and wraps it around the stakes. It seems taller and more supportive then cages.

That sounds kind of like what DH wants to do.  I think it might be too late for this year now that they are all big and spread out, but maybe next year... 

My Ovulation Chart
    TTC since March 2012 
    BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
  • imageEKGibs:
    imageLaRomana09:
    imageEKGibs:
    I wouldn't think its too late. Our stakes are about 6 feet tall. I tie them tight enough that they stand upright but loose enough that they are not squished up against the stake. I'll try to remember to take a pic when I get home.

Whenever you think of it, I would love to see it.  You have a pretty massive garden, huh?  Is it a garden or a farm?   

My Ovulation Chart
    TTC since March 2012 
    BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
  • imageluciddreamer106:
    We have cages for ours (we have 4), but ours aren't very big. Our biggest problem is that the squirrels love to eat our tomatoes and the cages help keep them out. We also have a stake in the middle to help support and I tuck the tomatoes back in if they start to grow outside.

Yeah, we fenced in our garden because we have A LOT of wild animals and would probably just be feeding them if we didn't have a fence up! 

My Ovulation Chart
    TTC since March 2012 
    BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
  • imageball.and.chain:

I tried these a few years ago but ended up going back to cages, which I just found easier to deal with.  Both have been sufficiently supportive for my tomatoes.

https://viagrow.biz/product/viagrow-garden-tomato-cage-tiered/

I'm kind of interested in trying these, but the cost is pretty high compared to cages:

https://www.gardeners.com/Stacking-Tomato-Ladder-Supports/40-309,default,pd.html

I wish when they took pictures they would do it with massive plants growing out of control so I could see how they handle it ;)  They are always so nice and tidy looking in the pictures! 

My Ovulation Chart
    TTC since March 2012 
    BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
  • imagePoppy715:
    imageLaRomana09:
    imagePoppy715:
    imagemlal78:

imageLaRomana09:
    imagemlal78:

That's exactly what we did! We also have some plants behind them that are so sad and never get sun. The tomatoes are nuts. The weirdest part is we don't even like tomatoes. We might make salsa or sauce with them. Or just give them away. I've learned I just get too excited and plant too much. We tried to show some restraint this year but it doesn't seem much better.

I learned my lesson with zucchini this year and only planted one plant.  They produce ridiculous quantities of zucchini and you really only need so much!  But DH and I both love tomatoes, especially cherry tomatoes, so we can never have too many. 

My Ovulation Chart
    TTC since March 2012 
    BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
  • EKGibsEKGibs member
    imageEKGibs:

Here's a pic.
    TTC since 4/28/07

***PGAL/PAL WELCOME***

• EKGibsEKGibs member
    imageLaRomana09:

imageEKGibs:
    imageLaRomana09:
    imageEKGibs:

Whenever you think of it, I would love to see it.  You have a pretty massive garden, huh?  Is it a garden or a farm?   

Yeah we have about 100. I'll post a pic of the whole thing when my phone charges up.
    TTC since 4/28/07

***PGAL/PAL WELCOME***

• imageEKGibs:
    imageEKGibs:
    Here's a pic. image

Thanks, it looks so neat & tidy compared to what I have going on right now!  I think maybe I'll try it with one of my plants and see how it turns out! 

My Ovulation Chart
    TTC since March 2012 
    BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"