June 2013 Moms

Baby with Fever ::Updated::

So of course, here we are, midnight and baby girl is running a 100.3 temp rectal and temporal. I'm trying not to freak out, I'm a nurse and I know 100.3 isn't awful, but it's on the high side. When I had pedi pts we didn't give anything for 100.4 and under. But when it's my own baby, I'm not feeling as relaxed as I do with my pts.nbsp;She's eating fine, plenty of wet diapers. No snot or congestion. She's been really fussy the last few days, almost what I would expect a colicky baby to be like. She has been straining all day to poop, even after a pretty big BM earlier in the day. Passing gas all day, but still acts uncomfortable. Anyways, I guess I just need some reassurance that she's ok for now. I know to watch her, keep her cool I guess won't be able to swaddle tonight, make sure she's eating, count wet diapers. Any other suggestions or recommendations?Has anyone else dealt with a newborn with a fever? Of course, it's also the weekend, so pediatrician is closed. Acute Kids doesn't open until noon tomorrow, so I hope this fever stays low until then. Any advice, suggestions, calming reassurance would be greatly appreciated!!nbsp;ETA: For those on mobile, LO will be 7 weeks on Monday. nbsp;

:::Update::: Urine tests show a UTI. Explains the way it looks like it hurts to go potty :although I though poop, but maybe it hurt to pee: and also the smelly urine that my hubby said he noticed. Prelim spinal results show negative for meningitis, thank goodness. We have been admitted to the hospital for probably a couple of days. IV antibiotics have been started. I can already tell she's feeling better. She's been awake and not fussy for almost 2 hrs, which is the longest stretch of the last two days. Hoping to never do this again!! Hubby and I have both been up for 24 hrs, so we're exhausted!!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers!! I love having a place to come get support from, it really means a lot!! ::mobile smiley::

image image

Re: Baby with Fever ::Updated::

• Haven't dealt with it but I know our pedi said anything 100.4 and above in an infant under two months merited a call to the doctor. Sounds like you are hovering just below the threshold, hope your LO gets better quickly.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    EJ born 5/15/13 at 35 weeks 5 Days
    BFP 5/21/14 Missed Miscarriage Discovered 8/13/14 @ 17weeks "Scout"

• Temp went up to 100.9. We are currently sitting in the ER.

image image
  • Wish82Wish82
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 25 Love Its Second Anniversary
    Poor thing and poor you. I hope you are seen quickly, and it's all ok.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Ovulation Chart

TTC #1 Since July 2012-BFP Sept 27, EDD June 9, 2013, Arrived June 14, 2013
    My blog-The Wino That I Know
  • VASCVASC
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary

Hope she's okay!  Keep us posted!

Our LO has somehow become a little congested, so we broke out our thermometer for the first time.  No fever here, but using the rectal thermometer with our water-based personal lubricant seemed wrong somehow, LOL. We didn't have any petroleum jelly. 

• Poor bunny! Hope everything is alright. Had LO in the ER two weeks ago and it is very sad and stressful. All ok now. Best of luck for a quick visit. Hope your LO gets their temp down soon and all is well. Stay strong. :::mobile hug:::
  • Yeah, I was going to tell you that if it increases above 100.3 she needs to go to the ED :(  She's in that less than 8 weeks range that will probably warrant the docs to at least do blood and urine tests and possibly get spinal fluid depending on how they think she's acting.  Hang in there -  keep us posted!

• Prayers for your LO hope everything is ok and fever goes down quick!
  • Thinking of you and little one. Hope she's doing alright.

• Ugh, so sorry! We're thinking of you!

Untitled
  • image kelly422:
    Yeah, I was going to tell you that if it increases above 100.3 she needs to go to the ED : nbsp;She's in that less than 8 weeks range that will probably warrant the docs to at least do blood and urine tests and possibly get spinal fluid depending on how they think she's acting. nbsp;Hang in there nbsp;keep us posted!nbsp;

Yep, all of this is happening. No spinal tap yet, waiting to see results of blood and urine. Took 3 sticks to get an IV. I'm a hot mess. She's finally asleep in my arms now. They are starting fluids. Possibly antibiotics depending on test results. This is AWFUL!!!! I'm always on the nurse side, being the parent side is not fun.

image image
  • O im sorry! That must be hard to watch. Hopefully the fluids work and she doesnt need a spinal! Keep us posted. Poor lil babes!
  • Oh no, sorry to hear about your LO but I'm glad you went to the ER. Better safe than sorry, and I hope LO gets better soon!
    CafeMom Tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm so sorry. Your poor baby girl. Praying she gets better very soon. My heart hurts thinking of her having to get Assn IV placed let alone 3 attempts. Keep us updated!
              image image

• image jennshea13:
    image kelly422:
    Yeah, I was going to tell you that if it increases above 100.3 she needs to go to the ED : nbsp;She's in that less than 8 weeks range that will probably warrant the docs to at least do blood and urine tests and possibly get spinal fluid depending on how they think she's acting. nbsp;Hang in there nbsp;keep us posted!nbsp;
    Yep, all of this is happening. No spinal tap yet, waiting to see results of blood and urine. Took 3 sticks to get an IV. I'm a hot mess. She's finally asleep in my arms now. They are starting fluids. Possibly antibiotics depending on test results. This is AWFUL!!!! I'm always on the nurse side, being the parent side is not fun.

I can't imagine :(  I HATED when LO had to get her glucose checked in the hospital, let alone an IV placed... Hopefully her results come back okay.  If it makes you feel better, I'm a Pedi and I've done a ZILLION rule out sepsis workups in febrile infants < 3 mo and the babies have always done great.  If anything, antibiotics for a couple days and then they go home.  

• LiLi23LiLi23
    2500 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary
    Thinking of you and your LO! Crossing my fingers it's nothing. I can't imagine how hard that has to be with a 7 week old. Sorry mama :[

Lilypie - (tyeV)

Lilypie - (AarQ)

• Poor little thing! I hope she's okay! Keep us updated!
    Amelia Catherine was born on May 30, 2013 (EDD 6.08.13)

• Nix55Nix55
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Oh, hon. Prayers coming at you and baby girl.
  • I hope she feels better soon and that you and DH are able to get some rest. 
    ~TTC since July 2010~
    CD3 Bloodwork:Normal 
    HSG-Clear 
    SA:Low Morph 
    IVF with ICSI #1: ER 12/16 (4 ER/3 Mature/0 Fertilized) 
    IVF with ICSI #2: ER 5/17 (4 ER/4 Mature/3 Fertilized)/ET 5/20 (2 embryos transferred)-BFN 
    IVF with PICSI #3: ER 9/8 (11 ER/8 Mature/7 Fertilized)/ET 9/13 (2 AA blastocysts transferred) 
    Beta#1, 9/26/12: 719 Beta#2, 9/28/12: 1,436 Beta#3, 10/1/12: 3,446
    1st u/s on 10/10/12: It's Twins! We found out on 12/16/12 that we were having two BOYS!
    C & D were born on 5/16/13 at 10:46 am and 10:47 am

imageimage
  • Sorry she is so sick, but I am glad you are getting it figured out so she can get better.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    EJ born 5/15/13 at 35 weeks 5 Days
    BFP 5/21/14 Missed Miscarriage Discovered 8/13/14 @ 17weeks "Scout"

• image smpeachey:
    Sorry she is so sick, but I am glad you are getting it figured out so she can get better.

This! I hope she has a speedy recovery!
  • skioskio
    5000 Comments 250 Answers Fifth Anniversary 250 Love Its
    Poor thing! It's really good you caught it early. Fevers can get very high and scary with UTIs in young babies. Glad you found the culprit quickly and that she'll be treated and all better soon. Good job, mama!
    image Pregnancy Ticker
  • How scary! Glad she's doing better. I hope you can get some rest and everyone gets to go home soon!
    imageimageimage
    My two girls Flower and Ayla Faye born on 6/21/2013 at 40w6d 6lbs 15oz 19in
  • Oh I'm sorry you and your little one are going through this. Hope she is better soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards