Homeschooling

Not sure what to do

Hello ladies. I haven't posted in a while, I intro'd last spring. I'm having serious issues and I'm stuck. I was dead set on homeschooling. But now I'm second guessing it. What if I don't do a good enough job? What if I'm just too lazy and don't want to leave the house with a newborn to make it to all the local homeschool activity groups? What if it's just too hard? What if I have time issues? Then I realize that having my 7 yr old around to play with the toddler helps alot. So I think it will actually make life easier. But then I feel guilty, bc keeping a kid home to make my daily life easier and keep the toddler from being clingy is just wrong.

I think the one on one time will be good for her, for us, for our relationship. I think she will find learning fun again and hopefully her attitude will improve. She will be happy rather than angry and defiant. But what will she miss out on? They used a kiln last year to make Christmas presents. I can't compete with a kiln. We are working on farm life, it seems to provide so many wonderful ways to learn. But will it compete with actual school?

Ug. I have 11 days until registration at the new school. 11 days to decide. And I'm terrified to make the wrong choice. I just want to do what's best for her, for everyone, and I want my first choice to be the right choice.

Any advice to spare?
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Not sure what to do

• I have this exact same internal struggle.

We're doing a "trial run" by homeschooling for pre-K this year to see how we feel about it.  It sounds like you are doing some soul searching.  I wish I could tell you, "This is the right answer for your child," but nobody can.  Clear your mind, reflect, and trust what your Mommy Intuition tells you. 

Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."
    imageimageimage
    Good god, Mr. Tomlinson, are you QUITE finished?
    "Does the little one with the cheekbones know that the prince is in love with him?"

Jack 04/29/10 dairy, peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism
    Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
    Lilypie - (cF7R) Lilypie - (Phka)

• AA0417AA0417
    250 Answers 2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary 250 Love Its
    Follow your gut. Make a pro/con list if it would help. Have a discussion with your SO. You have to know you commit 100 percent. I also think fears of being inadequate are completely normal. Don't view it is a permanent choice. You can and should reevaluate which choice is best each year for each child. GL with deciding!
  • Ditto pp.

Also, if you don't HS, would LO be attending public school? 

We can switch between HS and public school a million times a year if we choose. We simply turn in the intent to HS form to the DPI and that's it. Then if we decide it's not working, we register with the school. Easy peasy.

You don't have to commit to HS forever.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image DC2London:

I have this exact same internal struggle.

We're doing a "trial run" by homeschooling for pre-K this year to see how we feel about it.  It sounds like you are doing some soul searching.  I wish I could tell you, "This is the right answer for your child," but nobody can.  Clear your mind, reflect, and trust what your Mommy Intuition tells you. 

Exactly this!

I also have the benefit of doing a "trial run" this year for pre-k. I was nervous and apprehensive about my decision though. I had to go with my gut, with what I felt was right for my daughter deep down. Trust yourself, you know what's best....and remember, nothing has to be permanent, things can be changed and adapted.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Just wanted to say thanks for the replies. I didn't want it to look like I didn't come back, I've been reading you responses and thinking on them.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had all the same worries this year.  This was our trial run year.  DS1 missed the cut-off for Kindy in our district by less than a month, but was ready for work, so we moved forward with Kindergarten work even though he didn't technically have to do it.  I am so glad we did.

I was so worried about the time issue and what I learned from this first year is that when you're working one-on-one with a child, it takes much less time that you think it will to accomplish your goals.  Also, since you're home, your schedule can be flexible.  If I don't meet all my goals for the day before Daddy gets home, I can pull my sons aside at the end of the day and do some work before bed or we can get it done on the weekend when Dad is there to help.  Honestly, time has been the least of my worries.

I see you're also worried about leaving the house with the baby.  I was worried about that too.  It's been a challenge, but you just do what you have to.  Violin lessons are part of my oldest's school work right now and believe me, it is a challenge to pack up all four of my kids and entertain everyone twice a week while their brother is in his lesson.  I do it because I have to and I think you would do the same thing too.

Honestly, the first two months were an adjustment period.  We did a lot of trial and error.  At first I had our lessons split up between two big chunks of the day - in the morning and after naps.  We found through time that the afternoon lessons weren't getting done because by that time of the day the kids just wanted to be having fun.  We adjusted and have found that doing school first thing in the morning is best for us.  We eat breakfast, get dressed, and head straight to the table for lessons so we can get it out of the way for the day.  Once we're done with the book work we have the freedom to play the rest of the day, read books that are part of our work, do crafts, take field trips, etc.  It works well. 

Another adjustment for us has been curriculum.  I started out thinking I would come up with it all myself and found that it was too difficult with everything else I have on my plate.  After New Year's I bought curriculum for selected subjects and it went well.  Then I decided to purchase it for everything.  It works well for us now.  And now I know what I need to do in the future to plan out our years.

My point in all of this is that if you're flexible you can just roll with the punches and get it done.  Just because you don't meet all of your goals, it doesn't mean that you can't re-evaluate periodically throughout the year and try new things or even make a different decision with regards to education mid-way through the year.  But you'll never know unless you try it. :)

• Thanks, adamwife. That actually helps alot. I always doubt myself, but I also always succeed in what I set my mind to. I think mostly bc I'm just that stubborn lol. I guess I'm afraid that deciding this doesn't work would be failure on my part.

I do plan to buy curriculums that are more put together. That's such an issue too, I think I decide on certain ones and then I hear others being praised and feel so unsure what to pick. Like today I was reading about a classical education program. Tying together all the subjects sounds amazing. But I had already decided that I needed to pick a more hands on style, with more activities and less reading. My DD just doesn't focus well for long, and hates being forced to read, even though she loves reading on her own. There's so many choices!!
  • I think we all have this struggle. The good news is, if you try and don't succeed, then you can always find another option. 

I firmly believe that parents are the best teachers for their children. If you feel like you were called to do this, then stand firm in that. :) And you are SO not alone!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Addalyn Grace 1/5/09 Lilah Joy 6/16/2011 Asher Elliot 10/3/2013
    JubileeBabyCo
  • I am not currently homeschooling, but I am a public librarian and our library works with our homeschoolers as best we can.  We subscribe to the "Practical Homeschooling" magazine and many of our homeschool parents make regular use of our non-fiction collection and our Non-Fiction DVDs to support the curriculum they choose to use.
    DX: Hashimoto's - August 2012

Me:30 / DH: 31

BFP#1 after 15 cycles on 12/1/2013 EDD 8/7/2014

Anniversary

• image Chickypoo2468:
    Thanks, adamwife. That actually helps alot. I always doubt myself, but I also always succeed in what I set my mind to. I think mostly bc I'm just that stubborn lol. I guess I'm afraid that deciding this doesn't work would be failure on my part. I do plan to buy curriculums that are more put together. That's such an issue too, I think I decide on certain ones and then I hear others being praised and feel so unsure what to pick. Like today I was reading about a classical education program. Tying together all the subjects sounds amazing. But I had already decided that I needed to pick a more hands on style, with more activities and less reading. My DD just doesn't focus well for long, and hates being forced to read, even though she loves reading on her own. There's so many choices!!

The bolded line sounds so much like the comments on the CD board. Wink

I was thinking about hs for ds2 when he gets older and then today the idea of hs ds1 again got thrown back on the table.....decisions, decisions.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• image Chickypoo2468:
    Thanks, adamwife. That actually helps alot. I always doubt myself, but I also always succeed in what I set my mind to. I think mostly bc I'm just that stubborn lol. I guess I'm afraid that deciding this doesn't work would be failure on my part.

I do plan to buy curriculums that are more put together. That's such an issue too, I think I decide on certain ones and then I hear others being praised and feel so unsure what to pick. Like today I was reading about a classical education program. Tying together all the subjects sounds amazing. But I had already decided that I needed to pick a more hands on style, with more activities and less reading. My DD just doesn't focus well for long, and hates being forced to read, even though she loves reading on her own. There's so many choices!!

The bolded line sounds so much like the comments on the CD board. Wink

I was thinking about hs for ds2 when he gets older and then today the idea of hs ds1 again got thrown back on the table.....decisions, decisions.

Hah, it does sound like that. But this is so much more important!!

• I haven't read the prior responses, so please forgive me if this is duplicative.

For me it comes down to the long view: where do I want my kids to be in 5 years? What is different about homeschooling that drew me to it? Why did I not want to send her to traditional school in the first place? Is the reason I am having doubts because of some short term flux that will change, or is it representative of a more systematic issue?

We all have bad days where we don't get out of the house/get everything done that we want to,

Try thinking about the big picture!

• BTW-- saw your comment about classical style-- check out the Pandia Press History Odyssey-- it tracks the classical education model, but with TONS of hands on activities-- we are making a toga and baking bread in the first month!

• BTW-- saw your comment about classical style-- check out the Pandia Press History Odyssey-- it tracks the classical education model, but with TONS of hands on activities-- we are making a toga and baking bread in the first month!

I actually just ordered this! Are these activities in the main HO book? Bc that sounds fun! I ordered the 2 ancient activity books too, can't remember what exactly they are called. But they were highly recommended. I just want to make sure I can keep her interest.
    I actually just ordered this! Are these activities in the main HO book? Bc that sounds fun! I ordered the 2 ancient activity books too, can't remember what exactly they are called. But they were highly recommended. I just want to make sure I can keep her interest.
    SO, the deal with HO is that it is actually pages for a binder, it's like a task list. You can run it however you want, but it is set up with the premise that you get the usborne internet linked encyclopedia, story of the world, and then basically whatever other things. Every lesson I think also has a list of books to check out from the library if you want, I am planning to hold off on this until the kids are a bit older.

It explicitly says what it incorporates in the lesson: e.g. pages 1, 3, 5, of the history pocket.

I finally accumulated all of the books after watching auctions on ebay and deals on Amazon. (They have everything available at Rainbow Resources, but those are expensive altogether) Getting everything in order is sort of a PITA, BUT there really is TONS to do, like they list 5 activities, and they assume you will pick 1 or 2.

Also, if you like the layout, I highly recommend the R.E.A.L. Science, also by Pandia Press-- we are doing the ancient's for history along with the intro to life-- the concurrent sequence recommended by the classical education model introduced in Bauer's book.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat further about this! I'm STOKED about our curriculum, we are starting Monday! :)

• BTW, just saw your kiln comment, I'm sure there's some sort of pottery class available somewhere near you!

Our city even has classes for homeschoolers at the pottery place!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards